Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 PM

505 posts, read 575,147 times

Advertisements

Christians know God uses dreams, but this thread is not necessarily about that per se (tho it can be!) With all our scientific knowledge and technology, we still have ALOT to learn about dreams/the process of dreaming. What are dreams? ... random scattered memory fragments left over from our day or week, fused together? Are dreams our mind's way of "defragmenting"? What purpose do dreams serve? What makes some dreams pleasant and some nightmares? Can evil creep into our dreams? Do you dream in color? Have you ever had a dream that you were flying (without an airplane)?
Tell your most interesting, strange, funny, scary or re-curring dream. Some people in the Old Testament were blessed with the ability to interpret dreams. If you like give a funny or weird interpretation of the dreams listed in this thread, just for fun. Here's your chance to play Sigmund Fraud.

I'll start: this dream occurred many, many years ago. I dreamed I was playing pinball in Russia in the front window of a drug store or candy store, it wasn't clear. 2 KGB agents saw me through the glass and entered the store. They began to question me intensely, no doubt because I was dressed as an American would dress. Since I don't speak Russian, I couldn't understand a word of what they were asking. I just began to nod my head up and down in agreement with them and look like I was focused on the pinball game. Once I began to get frightened, the dream ended.

O what on earth could this mean? Please give your expert interpretation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 09:24 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
I find with my dreams that the feelings I am experiencing in the dreams are frequently similar to those feelings I am having with some daytime things in my life at that time. And that the actual story has nothing to do with anything.

So if you think about the feelings you were having with the above dream, those might be similar to feelings you were experiencing at that time with something going on in your life!

Old 08-31-2013, 11:09 AM

259 posts, read 670,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post

Are dreams our mind's way of "defragmenting"?

What purpose do dreams serve?

What makes some dreams pleasant and some nightmares?

Can evil creep into our dreams?

Do you dream in color?

Have you ever had a dream that you were flying (without an airplane)?

I think so. Ever notice how heavy drinkers seem so maladjusted? I think it's because they don't have restful sleep that includes the REM or dreaming portion.

Not really sure, but I do look forward to them. There are many supplements that enhance dreaming.

Not really sure. I typically have pleasant dreams, but supplements that enhance dreams don't necessarily influence which type you'll have, just intensity.

I guess evil could creep into a dream, just as it could waking times.

Color so often that I really cannot recall a non-color dream.

Yes. Flying, sometimes levitation. Had an acsention dream several times; acceleration was so intense it was nauseating, but to slow down even the smallest amount caused the ascent to stop and to start falling back down. Weird.

Your dream by my imagination and nothing else was you feel that there are forces you don't understand trying to control you, and you're trying to stay 'incognito' to avoid them.

Last night I was helping a friend replace windows in an airplane he had just bought. He was a friend in the dream, but on waking I have never seen him before. The windows looked fine, however, regular maintenance meant they had to be renewed. We measured them with a set of calipers I couldn't read, so I passed them to him. The floor of the plane was flat, wide and made of plywood. It had a mylar covering on top of it.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:09 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I'll have to say that I don't think dreams are anything more than a reflection of what you have experienced through your conscious thoughts, tv, internet, etc. I know that if you take some herbal supplements to help with sleep, it can cause certain types of dreams. For me, and I quit taking them, it involved animals that talked and acted like humans. Valerian can be a problem.

I guess if you have someone that is capable of interpreting your dreams, it would be more of a psychological evaluation than some magical thing.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM

259 posts, read 670,539 times
I don't like Valerian, leaves me feeling drugged in the morning.

Talking animals sounds awesome. What did they say?

Old 08-31-2013, 12:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post

It means you were asleep. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I find with my dreams that the feelings I am experiencing in the dreams are frequently similar to those feelings I am having with some daytime things in my life at that time. And that the actual story has nothing to do with anything.

So if you think about the feelings you were having with the above dream, those might be similar to feelings you were experiencing at that time with something going on in your life!
cool observation- I never linked dreams with emotions/feelings before.

Does anyone think that a re-curing dream is any different/special than one that only happens once?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Carl Jung did a lot of research about dream analysis and most dream dictionaries are based on his work. He believed that the subconscious deals in symbols rather than language.

I don't remember the vast majority of my dreams. A few years back I made an effort out of curiosity to keep a dream journal. I found that Jungian dream analysis generally made sense. My dreams seemed to be a combination of dreams that spoke to things currently going on in my life at the time, and just random nonsense. I didn't get any deep insight from my dreams or learn anything I didn't already know, but some people find dreams very informative and useful. To each their own.

Here is some of your dream imagery meaning as per a popular online dream dictionary:

A pinball machine appearing in your dream or to see yourself playing pinball suggests that with patience, precision, and control, you'll succeed in your goals. You may be tackling something risky or challenging that can be dealt with if properly broken down into its constituent parts.

To dream of spies or similar, often symbolizes your mistrust of others and your desire to be interfering in their affairs. Or it can be triggered by stumbling on information not meant for your eyes. Since you were dreaming of someone spying on you, effectively, that changes things a bit; it may simply reflect that someone is watching or evaluating you and/or it can represent impulsive behavior.

For a western person to dream of being in Russia means that you are having cold hard times (but consider what you personally associate with that country -- if you've visited there or know someone there then it may mean something different). Alternatively, it can be a pun on "rush" -- you need to get moving on some goal or get moving in some area of your life.

Putting it all together, one interpretation is that you were at the time going through a rough patch and felt controlled or watched by others for reasons you don't understand, but believe you can get through this by concentrating on your game. Alternatively, maybe you are just trying to control impulsive behavior and god is monitoring you to make sure that you do. (I say this as I know you are a theist and probably a conservative one).

Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Carl Jung did a lot of research about dream analysis and most dream dictionaries are based on his work. He believed that the subconscious deals in symbols rather than language.

I don't remember the vast majority of my dreams. A few years back I made an effort out of curiosity to keep a dream journal. I found that Jungian dream analysis generally made sense. My dreams seemed to be a combination of dreams that spoke to things currently going on in my life at the time, and just random nonsense. I didn't get any deep insight from my dreams or learn anything I didn't already know, but some people find dreams very informative and useful. To each their own.

Here is some of your dream imagery meaning as per a popular online dream dictionary:

A pinball machine appearing in your dream or to see yourself playing pinball suggests that with patience, precision, and control, you'll succeed in your goals. You may be tackling something risky or challenging that can be dealt with if properly broken down into its constituent parts.

To dream of spies or similar, often symbolizes your mistrust of others and your desire to be interfering in their affairs. Or it can be triggered by stumbling on information not meant for your eyes. Since you were dreaming of someone spying on you, effectively, that changes things a bit; it may simply reflect that someone is watching or evaluating you and/or it can represent impulsive behavior.

For a western person to dream of being in Russia means that you are having cold hard times (but consider what you personally associate with that country -- if you've visited there or know someone there then it may mean something different). Alternatively, it can be a pun on "rush" -- you need to get moving on some goal or get moving in some area of your life.

Putting it all together, one interpretation is that you were at the time going through a rough patch and felt controlled or watched by others for reasons you don't understand, but believe you can get through this by concentrating on your game. Alternatively, maybe you are just trying to control impulsive behavior and god is monitoring you to make sure that you do. (I say this as I know you are a theist and probably a conservative one).

Thanks ever so much for the interpretation. I would say one yes, one no and one maybe.
This dream happened several years after I graduated from my local community college. I just so happened that they had a state wide pinball contest and I won it at my campus. (I finished 8 th in the state out of 16- )

I give the second part, about the spies etc... a maybe. I can see that in an off-beat kinda way.

The 3 rd part could be a yes. As a Christian, and a young one then, I can see how I could think about God monitoring me. And yes, you are quite correct, I am VERY conservative!

I have always been fascinated by dreams. Just for fun, here's another dream I had once:
(it's very short ) I dreamed I had a toy racing car stuck half-way inside my head and half-way outside. it was all red except for the wheels of black. It seemed to be made of soft rubber as opposed to hard plastic. It didn't hurt, but boy howdy was I surprised when I found it. It occurred to me later that I had seen a movie or episode of "twilight zone" (or other sci-fi series/movie) about objects being somehow morphed together with people or other objects but with disasterious results. That not withstanding, what could this dream mean?

I had another recurring dream when I was a kid which I will tell next. I used to have it 4/5 times a month then it would leave, but come back again several months later.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
I think a lot of previous thinking about what various dreams mean might be a bunch of hooey!

With the advent of computers and recently very fast computers, researchers are able to replicate some human mental functions. And from that we can learn exactly how certain things work.

For example with a computer there is a "consciousness" or "personality" which can be created, especially a computer which "talks". It appears to be one thing you are talking to, however is it is fact billions of 1's and 0's switching on/off and the "synergistic effect" of all those working in concert.

So I think the same sort of thing goes on with dreams. In the past we have looked at the dreams themselves and tried working backwards to figure out what they mean. But now we may be able to better understand how the underlying brain works and understand how and why dreams are produced.

Or in other words, read recent research on dreams, and don't pay too much attention to what has been written in the past.

I've read that we have short term memory and long term memory. One function of dreams may be the "processing" and "compacting" of the remarkable memories from the previous days activities - transferring those memories from short term memory to long term memory.

One old time theory of dreams, which makes sense, is that some dreams may be "wish fulfillment" and may make you rest better. You may not be able to sleep very good if worried about finances, but if you dream you get a bunch of money, then that may allow you to have a nice restful sleep!

Or you may need to go to the bathroom. That would interrupt your sleep. So you dream you are going to the bathroom and that allows your continued sleep!

Here is one recent article on dreams...
The Science Behind Dreaming: Scientific American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology