Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 03:00 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
The brilliant original poster left after post #1.
Actually, I've been reading and giving people reps (with comments).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm not even sure if this is the right category for this, but I'll give it a shot.

I don't understand why people still smoke despite the knowledge behind the damage that it can do to our bodies. Not only is it harmful to ourselves, but it is harmful to those around us. Also to add, smoking is an expensive habit. I'm in college and I'm shocked to see the amount of kids in the designated smoking areas. The cons outweigh the pros, so why would you do it (I have the same philosophy for drinking).
Why do people still drink heavy, why do people still use drugs, why do people smoke/or drink/use drugs when pregnant, why do people still use snuff? People have been warned about all of these things and have been told what can happy to them, their loved ones or babies because of it, but it continues and prrobably always will. You will always have people that don't think the dangers apply to them, maybe don't care, or are just addicted and caught up in that mess.

Old 10-16-2013, 03:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I was just saying last night to my Son that I can't believe in 2013 people still smoke. What a dirty, expensive, unhealthy habit. When you think about it, you are sucking smoke into your body, what can possibly be good about that ? With all they know about the harm it does to people you would think everyone would have wised up by now.

It is just a disgusting habit and if I met a lady who I was interested in and she smoked that would be the deal breaker for me. I was married to a smoker for 28 years, and I won't go through that again.

Don

No more disgusting and expensive than eating fast food more than once a year. When you think about it, you are chewing and swallowing chemical laden fake food into your body and telling yourself that it tastes good and is not clogging your arteries, killing brain cells or making you heavier with each bite.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
The overall US rate is declining. Smokers as a group die prematurely anyway, and fewer are taking up the habit, so it will likely continue to fall. Tobacco companies have shifted to trying to sell to the uneducated in third world countries.

But the short answer is "because they're addicted to it."

Old 10-17-2013, 01:17 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times
People enjoy it (I am an ex-smoker quit 26 years ago). People are addicted. It helps calm their nerves. It is not illegal. As many reasons as there are people.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:15 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
My grandmother who had a near death experience in her 20's has smoked all her life and is now around 80.. and we're talking a heavy smoker here.. multiple packs a day, and the last few years, she buys mini cigars instead, since in Wisconsin these are not taxed like cigarettes, so they cost a fraction of the price.

Not everyone believes everything the media spoon-feeds them. I don't smoke but I've often thought about lighting up a few cigars casually with a fine wine and some cheese, that sort of thing.

To each their own. On the other hand, I hated as a kid being carted off to weddings and various places where everyone was smoking and the room was just thick with smoke.. so I do agree with the laws keeping that crap out of public places.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:31 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
My grandmother who had a near death experience in her 20's has smoked all her life and is now around 80.. and we're talking a heavy smoker here.. multiple packs a day, and the last few years, she buys mini cigars instead, since in Wisconsin these are not taxed like cigarettes, so they cost a fraction of the price.

Not everyone believes everything the media spoon-feeds them. I don't smoke but I've often thought about lighting up a few cigars casually with a fine wine and some cheese, that sort of thing.

To each their own. On the other hand, I hated as a kid being carted off to weddings and various places where everyone was smoking and the room was just thick with smoke.. so I do agree with the laws keeping that crap out of public places.
I had 3 relatives that smoked heavily and all 3 died of lung cancer. The youngest lived 46 years and the oldest lived 62 years; the other made it to late 50s. All suffered badly from the lung cancer that killed them. It was very horrible for them going through chemo and radiation and getting sicker and not being able to walk far or do basic things like bathroom and cooking and driving. Then being bedridden and then death with lots of pain and cannot breath. I also had a former boss that smoked and died at 52 years young - just 2 months after being diagnosed with lung cancer. She had teenagers that were in high school.

Please everyone, for your own good and for your family, please try to quit. If you have kids they will suffer from your early loss if you get lung cancer.

One of my relatives that died from lung cancer said "I didn't think it would be me" when discussing the link between smoking and lung cancer.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:16 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
I am always amazed by how many people I see smoking while they drive who hold their cigarette out the window in between hits. Its like they think its OK to inflict their smoke on others, but they don't want it in their own car. I think that is lame.

I smoked between ages of 17 and 23, mostly at parties and clubs.I think back to how many hours I spent in smoke-filled dance clubs and I cringe. I would be in there from 10pm to 6am every Friday and Saturday night all summer long- I could possibly get lung cancer at some point due to all that exposure. I never got addicted to smoking though and as I got out of that particular social scene, I just stopped and never missed it. My brother, on the other hand, started when he was 15 and apparently hadn't been able to quit well into his 30's. He is the only smoker that we have on either side of the family going back several generations. Addictive behavior in general just doesn't seem to run in our family.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:44 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,206,432 times
Nicotine addiction is a real, honest to goodness, scientifically proven inherited trait - no matter what your social studies teacher has told you. And, by the way, that's who taught you what you know about this whole thing! Your social studies teacher.

One of the biggest etiologies of obesity today is that nicotine addicted people are strongly (if not prohibitively) encouraged to not get their nicotine dose (fix) as they once did. Its an interesting trait by the way...only 6 - 8 generations among Euro whites that this has evolved.

A nicotine addict deprived of their nicotine fix will not only gain weight just because that very very active nicotine is no longer available to them (remember that high school biology experiment where you dripped nicotine on a frogs leg?) , but rather for "behavioural" reasons they will use to try to make up for not getting nicotine by eating things like chips, cakes, sugar - sweetened soft drinks, pasta by the pound, deep fried chicken wings, pizza, and numerous other, widely available fattening things. It's just the way it is.

Those low tar, much less carcinogenic ciggies (65% less lung cancer incidence) have been banned by politicians - heck, 30 years ago! What do those clowns know about carcinogenesis? 90% couldn't even spell the word. They are politiicians simply because high school biology was beyond their intellectual capacity. The rest is history, all fauxed up by bastardized "science" that was put together by MBA's ...not BS's and MS's.

But you will never hear the flipside of this. NO way. Controlling people's behaviour is far more important to your government then just simply leaving issues like this to real scientists.

Second hand smoke has been proven time and again, by real statistics to do nothing more then stink up your clothes. Such total completely political - based nonsense. And so many buffoons buying this stuff!

Yes, smoking ciggies is a significant risk for cancer. But the banning of low tar ciggies - and, get this, labeling as such!! (for no scientific reason) is an example of how some power hungry people have nothing better to do then control you. One of the biggest crocks I (and my high science cohorts) haver ever seen (or imagined) in our lifetimes. No choice, for you! You do what WE TELL YOU TO DO!

Old 10-19-2013, 12:23 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,440,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
Plus there was the added bonus of getting one over on my father.
Can you explain how your smoking "put over on your father?"

Sent from my SPH-M950 using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology