Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2013, 09:03 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,042,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
60 is way too young to be around old fuddy duddies. Maybe there are some other folks who feel like you do. I'm sure if you look for them you will find them. There might not be someplace to dance salsa, but maybe they would enjoy bike rides or museum hopping with you, if you like that kind of thing.

20yrsinBranson
I have tried for 7 yrs. given out personal B-cards. been part of bringing the cookies at work- worked several PT jobs in the retail market and all the people say the same thing -people here keep to themselves. Its a big TOWN and not a city where folks TO me- are more open to conversation... etc. getting together for wine- sharing coffee at the beauty salon-- you know I said- I have seen 10,000 screened in patios or lanais,, never seen one person sitting out- let alone a group- In Miami we have block parties... everybody bring a dish, music, parteee!! I am still in Fla - I think..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 09:07 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
need to live O/S for a few months to bring your life back
What is o/s?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:09 PM

over seas... see something new- experience something else

Old 10-21-2013, 09:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,088,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Do you ever miss being your younger self, now that you are older?

I am currently in my early 30's...adult life is definitely not all it's made out to be in popular society; it's really just a rat race and a never-ending hamster treadmill, IMO TBH, I find that I actually miss and am frequently nostalgic for the days when I was younger (say 18 for example), quite a bit. To go backwards in time to happier, more care-free days, instead of forward, to the dreary and in some cases, the simply depressing life of the constantly-overworked, exhausting and ridiculously frenetic pace of adult life, where it seems all you do is work until you drop, if only from the pure exhaustion and fatigue...

Has anyone else ever felt like this?
I'm mid 30s and I actually yearn to go back to when I was your age. Early 30s. That was the best period in my life. I had a girlfriend, a nice apartment, a good job, a band, a lot of friends, a really busy life, and drinking tolerance.

I still have some of those things, others I don't.

To be honest, life to me seems like it's just going to get worse.

I'd rather go back to my 20s too, even though that was more of a roller coaster. But I would definitely take today over my teens. They sucked. Life kind of sucks now too but more in a "bleh" way, but not in an active, tortuous way.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:11 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
over seas... see something new- experience something else
I grew up overseas and was lucky enough to travel the world before it became homogenized. Still exotic.

Now...meh.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:11 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Do you ever miss being your younger self, now that you are older?

I am currently in my early 30's...adult life is definitely not all it's made out to be in popular society; it's really just a rat race and a never-ending hamster treadmill, IMO TBH, I find that I actually miss and am frequently nostalgic for the days when I was younger (say 18 for example), quite a bit. To go backwards in time to happier, more care-free days, instead of forward, to the dreary and in some cases, the simply depressing life of the constantly-overworked, exhausting and ridiculously frenetic pace of adult life, where it seems all you do is work until you drop, if only from the pure exhaustion and fatigue...

Has anyone else ever felt like this?
Yes, I miss my 30's.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:36 AM

25,440 posts, read 9,798,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Nooo.

The girl I was before didn't know the things I know now. So she accepted quite a few emotional and psychological beatings from ill-intentioned people. Had I known not to take things so personally and that some people just have issues, i wouldn't have internalize things the way I did then.

I know that now. I like who i am and what I'm becoming.

This . . .

I'm in my late 50s now, and more comfortable in my own skin than I've ever been in my life.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:48 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,534 times
OP, I totally understand where you're coming from. However, while my life has been a colorful adventure, I still wouldn't want to re-live any of it. I was talking with a friend last night who is almost ten years younger than myself. No way would I want to be where she's at in life again.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:10 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
You know this is an awesome question Knight.

When I think about it, No, I do not miss my younger self. I don't hate my younger self and I own up to being that person but my younger self was pretty lonely and desperate for friendship and just to fit in, in general. This type of mentality started when I went into the magnet program in L.A. in the 4th grade. I tried to be friends with a kid who was kind of a jerk. For what reason, I don't know. This mentality only intensified when I went to middle school. It reached a boiling point when I went to high school. All those years of being a wimpy people pleaser resulted in me getting bullied, ridiculed and embarrassed every other day. Middle school and high school was really tough now that I look back on it. My mom suffered two strokes back in '98 and could no longer work. I was 13 at the time so my dad was the lone provider for a family of five. Then when I was a sophmore in high school, my brother left for the Navy and the pressure of having to support the entire family was starting to get to my dad. So yeah, friendless, miserable childhood yada, yada. But when I graduated from high school and now was really intensifying my job search and dealing with family issues I pretty much stopped caring about not having a social life and focused all my energy of getting a job. I learned a lot at that time; I learned not to be desperate for friendship and companionship. I learned that being alone is not the worst thing that can happen to someone. I learned that life doesn't end just because you graduate high school. I learned that if you were a loser or an outcast in grade school and secondary school doesn't mean you will be a loser for the rest of your life. Long story short, I got that first job, then went to college then started making real friends and having a better social life because I was no longer desperate for friendship but just open to it. I feel a lot better myself now, yeah I'm more busy and have taken on more responsibilities but I'm more clear about who I am and what I am doing for the most part.

Now with all that said, I have another tab open in my browser playing several music videos of various rappers, R&B singers and rock bands I used to listen too growing up in the 90's on youtube. I don't miss my younger self but I am nostalgic about the era I grew up in. Like green mariner said, I loved being a 90's kid. I just loved the entertainment of that era; the music, the TV shows, the fact that MTV, BET and VH-1 played music videos, or that Cartoon Network only played Cartoons. The 90's was also a decade where many social movements and issues were brought to the forefront of mainstream society's attention after only being marginalized or outright ignored decades before such as immigration, sexuality, sexual orientation, STD's and environmentalism. It wasn't all good though, being a black kid living in L.A., I always heard of and feared street gangs.

I make the best of today but yes I do suffer from nostalgia sometimes.

I also loved the fact that the NFL and NBA didn't have all the restricting rules that they do today.

Last edited by Ro2113; 10-22-2013 at 05:23 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 11:26 AM

I'd return to 40-- it was a great 10 yrs- felt good- looked good, kids grown and life was sweet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology