Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:12 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times

Advertisements

I actually recently got accused of being a troll via anonymous reputation comment. In retrospect it is rather amusing.

I feel that in some cases, people accuse others of being a 'troll' solely because they have a difference of opinion (which I assume was the case in my circumstance).

This person was apparently tired of me citing the benefits of my beloved chosen city, St. Louis, and sick of my patriotism toward America in general, according to their rep comment.

So, with that said, I think the label of Troll is thrown around a bit too freely by some.

As for why 'real' trolls do it, as opposed to viewing them as the high school bully types, I actually view them as the quiet outsider who never had the gumption to speak their mind in the real world. They see themselves as protected behind the anonymity of the Internet so don't have to face any real life criticism or confrontation, but can still bolster their own ego through their posts or popularity of threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 07:36 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I actually recently got accused of being a troll via anonymous reputation comment. In retrospect it is rather amusing.

I feel that in some cases, people accuse others of being a 'troll' solely because they have a difference of opinion (which I assume was the case in my circumstance).

This person was apparently tired of me citing the benefits of my beloved chosen city, St. Louis, and sick of my patriotism toward America in general, according to their rep comment.

So, with that said, I think the label of Troll is thrown around a bit too freely by some.

As for why 'real' trolls do it, as opposed to viewing them as the high school bully types, I actually view them as the quiet outsider who never had the gumption to speak their mind in the real world. They see themselves as protected behind the anonymity of the Internet so don't have to face any real life criticism or confrontation, but can still bolster their own ego through their posts or popularity of threads.
Great post! 100% agreed~

If somebody didn't agree with your opinion, you are either delusional, making things up, stubborn, lying, or a troll. Not many people can simply agree to disagree..

Old 11-17-2013, 08:10 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
It's the cheapest form of entertainment.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:51 AM

77 posts, read 103,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Great post! 100% agreed~

If somebody didn't agree with your opinion, you are either delusional, making things up, stubborn, lying, or a troll. Not many people can simply agree to disagree..
It is sad how the internet-- this great opportunity for people all around the world to have constructive conversations with one another-- often devolves into this. Yes, an argument can get passionate, and that's not always a bad thing But the knee-jerk reaction for so many users to equate disagreement with "trolling" is the opposite of thinking and debate. It dovetails nicely with the latest fashion of seeing "bullies" around every damn corner, another example of less thinking and more reacting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
A classy smart person lets someone hoist himself by his own petard rather than getting wound up. How do people not know that from elementary school? Its like when a little kid starts bothering you, you pretend its not annoying and they get tired and move onto something else. Howard Stern is like the non-internet version of a troll and hes very hilarious.
Ooh, to this day I remain torn on this. Virtually every day growing up, I was either being yelled names at, excluded, having things thrown at me, etc. and the advice I was given was to ignore it, ignore it, ignore it. Guess what? It stopped when I bucked the grownups' "wisdom" of the time and stood up for myself. These days I see elements of that in online trolling... and am unsure what to do about it. If you pretend it's not annoying, they don't get tired-- sometimes they just get louder and more confident that no one will stand up to them. Other times they revel in the attention, and that encourages them.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:08 PM

329 posts, read 460,517 times
I like trolls. They entertain...

Without trolls internet would be sad.
The funny thing is just to type something very simple like "iPad is for gays" and 5 minutes later you got all these USA fan boys yelling at you....

Very funny!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,457 times
Ah, I see I have misunderstood the meaning of a TROLL! I thought it was just a phrase from CD that people threw at someone they don't 'know', who says something they didn't 'like'...my bad.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Because being behind a computer screen makes them feel big, smart and untouchable.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:26 AM

24 posts, read 32,032 times
Because someone referred to the internet as a "bridge" one day and they saw an unspoiled market and just had to get involved.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:12 AM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
There are several definitions of the internet Troll, usually it's an individual whose posts are intended to provoke negative emotions and disrupt the forum. Do you have any other definitions? Why do they do it?
Misery loves company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology