Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 09:15 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/19/sc...=science&_r=3&

Quote:
The existence of female competition may seem obvious to anyone who has been in a high-school cafeteria or a singles bar, but analyzing it has been difficult because it tends be more subtle and indirect (and a lot less violent) than the male variety. Now that researchers have been looking more closely, they say that this “intrasexual competition” is the most important factor explaining the pressures that young women feel to meet standards of sexual conduct and physical appearance.

The old doubts about female competitiveness derived partly from an evolutionary analysis of the reproductive odds in ancient polygynous societies in which some men were left single because dominant males had multiple wives. So men had to compete to have a chance of reproducing, whereas virtually all women were assured of it.
I had to laugh at the part where the subject came in wearing a short skirt and form fitting shirt, and the other women got all catty and made snide remarks. I've seen this soooo much; I'm sure we all have. Beautiful woman walks by, all the other girls immediately bristle. Anyway, interesting article.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 11:18 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Is the Pope Catholic ??

Don

Old 11-20-2013, 04:45 AM

936 posts, read 2,061,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post

I had to laugh at the part where the subject came in wearing a short skirt and form fitting shirt, and the other women got all catty and made snide remarks. I've seen this soooo much; I'm sure we all have. Beautiful woman walks by, all the other girls immediately bristle. Anyway, interesting article.
At least they weren't coughing up hairballs.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:08 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:

Don't young men compete when there are other attractive males around? If Mr "hot stuff" walks in flexing his muscles in a tight shirt and talking smoothly to girls or trying to prove he"knows it all" won't guys have negative thoughts about him and also make "sarcastic jokes" among themselves? What is the difference exactly between a snide remark or "joke" if they both are caused by a feeling of inferiority?

Old 11-20-2013, 06:58 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:

What you make it sound like is that there is 1 beautiful woman and 10 unattractive haters. I feel sorry for men in this world with that kind of ratio.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:03 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,598 times
Quote:

Women compete with each other and express it by being catty.

Men complete with each other and express it by boasting to each other about who done what and who got more.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
I am an assistant trainer at a dog day camp. And it's the darndest thing: most of the time when the male dogs have to be separated, it's because their wrestling gets too intense, but they're cool with each other five minutes later. Guys can kind of be like that too; you can punch a dude at football practice in the afternoon and then go out drinking with him later that night.

But certain of the females have actually developed these odd, lingering feuds with one another... kinda makes you wonder ...

Old 11-21-2013, 01:22 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I am an assistant trainer at a dog day camp. And it's the darndest thing: most of the time when the male dogs have to be separated, it's because their wrestling gets too intense, but they're cool with each other five minutes later. Guys can kind of be like that too; you can punch a dude at football practice in the afternoon and then go out drinking with him later that night.
But certain of the females have actually developed these odd, lingering feuds with one another.. kinda makes you wonder ...
This sounds catty to me. A perfect example of what I was talking about earlier but in this case it's a guy against women not other men. Instead of expressing a complete direct thought, passive aggressiveness is used. Why not state your thought instead of trying to make yourself sound interesting by making people "wonder" your mysterious conclusions? Aren't women according to misogynists the ones who supposedly expect others to guess or read their thoughts?

Men can be just as catty. They just hide their cattiness in layers of sarcasm and irony but the source of those "jokes" are usually inferiority feelings and the intent is to belittle the butt of their "jokes".

Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,297 times
Yes, Sugar Ray and the stupid men and women fall for the ''men aren't catty'' stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology