Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times

Advertisements

I think the term adulthood is really just shorthand for maturity, and people mature at different rates. I see it in my own kids when I notice that they prioritize things they don't enjoy and don't necessarily want to do over things that are fun, aka deferring short-term enjoyment to make long-term gains. That's a sure sign of becoming an adult, and it's a process. We don't all get there at the same rate, and some people, sadly, never get there at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 12:38 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times
Lots of good parameters mentioned, but underlying it all is the will to accept the unpleasant truths in life without whining, avoidance, blaming or rationalizing. The universe may not have been designed with human welfare in mind; nobody owes you anything; there are bad people, some of whom you will very likely encounter; you will eventually grow old and die, and life beyond that point is not only unproven but unlikely; there are bad and good things in life and it is a certainty that some of the bad will happen to you. However much we would like to shape the universe to serve our deepest wishes, it is only wishful thinking.

And yet, none of that should prevent anyone from living with courage, and the desire not to harm others. Adults see "the indifference of nature and the cruelty of man," yet "think and feel nobly." (Bertrand Russell, Understanding History) Philosophy is a good antidote to narcissism.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:52 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,905,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Lots of good parameters mentioned, but underlying it all is the will to accept the unpleasant truths in life without whining, avoidance, blaming or rationalizing. The universe may not have been designed with human welfare in mind; nobody owes you anything; there are bad people, some of whom you will very likely encounter; you will eventually grow old and die, and life beyond that point is not only unproven but unlikely; there are bad and good things in life and it is a certainty that some of the bad will happen to you. However much we would like to shape the universe to serve our deepest wishes, it is only wishful thinking.

And yet, none of that should prevent anyone from living with courage, and the desire not to harm others. Adults see "the indifference of nature and the cruelty of man," yet "think and feel nobly." (Bertrand Russell, Understanding History) Philosophy is a good antidote to narcissism.
FWIW, here's the textual source:

Quote:
No, the greatest men have not been "serene." They have had, it is true, an ultimate courage, a power of creating beauty where nature has put only horror, which may, to a petty mind, appear like serenity. But their courage has had to surpass that of common men, because they have seen deeper into the indifference of nature and the cruelty of man. To cover up these things with comfortable lies is the business of cowards; the business of great men is to see them with inflexible clarity, and yet to think and feel nobly. And in the degree in which we can all be great, this is the business of each one of us.
- Bertrand Russell, Understanding History, p. 42
An example of the beauty of the author's prose which contributed to his winning the Nobel prize for literature in 1950 (the year I was born). I find his writings to be just as pertinent to contemporary life as they were in the early '60's when I started reading him.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:02 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
I believe I was born an adult, since I came into this earth at the end of the Great Depression...1938.

What comes to mind to me is Respect and Responsibility.

But I don't Respect everything and everyone. But generally it's important.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-23-2018 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology