Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:53 AM

1,850 posts, read 3,017,276 times

Advertisements

I get bored around people easily.

I like a lot of down time. I need to stay on recharge. Most people exhaust me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Boredom is the rare few moments that my brain decides to quiet down and I actually enjoy it.
If I am lucky I am trying to fall asleep when it hits and sleep comes much quicker and easier.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 AM

757 posts, read 1,025,089 times
"do you get bored easily?"

I notice that people who have attention deficit tend to get bored quite easily as they can't focus on one thing for long.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:34 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
I get bored with things I do not like or have no interest in, but I would think all of the people in the world do as well. For things I do not like I will learn them 100%, after the learning phase is over those things become boring to me. I really enjoy playing music and listening to music and I'm never bored with it. I swear if I could become a professional musician my life would never be boring (I'm working on it).

Old 03-23-2014, 07:35 AM

165 posts, read 194,450 times
I wonder if the question goes hand-in-hand with whether or not a person just needs to take frequent breaks from tasks. Not everyone can take a marathon approach to things, whether it be reading or household tasks.

Last edited by hojobojo; 03-23-2014 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 03-23-2014, 09:22 AM

198 posts, read 273,992 times
I literally never get bored. I don't think the original poster is a reader. If you are a reader, you are never bored...you can't wait to pick up your book again.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:40 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
And what do you really think boredom is?

Is the statement, 'if you're bored it might be you that's boring' accurate or is it BS?

Just curious on what y'all think. I'll save my thoughts for a little bit.
I wouldn't describe my life as in any way boring. Maybe not boring enough sometimes, due to unwanted drama from Other People and the ideas in between their ears.

Boredom is the inability to find ways to direct your thoughts and attention to things that interest you. I don't really see any excuse for it here in the 21st century information age. There are way more things to explore and learn about than I have time and focus for. If I were single and unattached I would just do more reading, studying, researching, and recreating. I live near two major universities, I have fiber optic internet access from my home, and enough disposable income to travel if I wish.

Boredom comes from lack of curiosity and/or lack of imagination. If you're incurious, you're severely limited because only things that can tip your hedonic tone -- mostly mindless entertainment -- can possibly move you. If you lack imagination then you can't break out of relationships and employment situations that force you to do way too much stuff you have zero interest in. This is made worse if you don't know yourself well and thus don't even have enough self awareness to have a clear idea what you care about.

If you have both problems going on at once then you are truly in deep doo-doo.

I don't believe people are bored because they are boring exactly, although it superficially can seem that way. It certainly helps to be interesting because you attract interesting people to yourself. But that kind of "interesting" can be a double edged sword. I have often had interests that other people have trouble relating to but if I relate to those interests, that is all that really matters insofar as piquing and holding my interest. The only problem with iconoclastic or idiosyncratic interests is you don't get the pleasure of sharing them with others very much. All that said ... as the Dos Equs commercials about "the most interesting man in the world" suggest, having interests that others are apt to find in common with you and being able to communicate them and project confidence and all that, certainly helps. I have shed a couple of major personal interests because I got tired of being trapped in the small, specialized world that those interests represent. The idea of doing those things was also better than the reality. I know myself well enough that I know I need other people in my life to keep my head out of my butt so I don't spend a lot of $$ and time on stuff that others find off-putting or uninteresting. But, importantly, I don't do this because of concerns of what people will think about me or whether they will like me, I do it for myself, as a calculated use of my time.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:03 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,653,351 times
Bored? Ha. I haven't been bored since I became a Mom.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:28 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,467,171 times
Yup! But city-data adds the excitement back in my life!!!

Old 03-23-2014, 11:46 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,564 times
I do get bored easily, but mostly with things that are obviously designed to generate income from the masses, like popular music, popular fiction and most tv programs. I don't really enjoy any of that stuff for long and I experience this sort of nauseous feeling in my stomach that I'm wasting time. (Compare, for example, a song like "Just the way you are" by Bruno Mars with the third Brandenburg concerto.)

As far as being boring, I probably am, to most people, but it's a different, though related, kind of boring. Most people will become bored if they can't follow something or are not interested in following something. If the use of big words and fine distinctions turns them off, they may feel it is boredom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology