Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:58 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,771,101 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the OP feels superior to men who are shorter than him?

Old 04-11-2014, 01:01 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh good, another "short man" thread.
Yes, every negative thing that ever happens in your life, and every negative reaction you ever get from anyone is because you are short. All women hate short men, and you'll never get a good job or promotion because of discrimination against short men. Does that cover it all?

They were banned in the relationship part of the forum, hopefully they will be banned on the entire forum as well.

As far as the original post goes, height has nothing to do with you as a human. If you do not have the qualifications for the specific job you will not get hired. It is your overall being as a human not just a specific trait.

There are numerous men on this planet who are quite successful in business, theater, television, movies, etc. so quit using it as an excuse for the choices you have made or the limitations you have placed on yourself.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:27 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,254,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
Most parents are obsessed with measuring their sons. They have them measured as a part of regular doctor visits, even though height is a very neutral health predicter (There's a minor positive correlation between height and intelligence, but then again there's a negative correlation between height and heart disease). Reaching a taller height is considered an achivement. A young boy always gets applauded for showing vertical growth. It's firmly engrained in our minds that tall=good and short=bad.

Why, then, is it any wonder that a Short Man Syndrome exists? We're raised to feel genetically defective. It continues later in life when women get to the birthing age and talk about how they don't want to get knocked up by a short guy because they "Don't want short sons." Basically , shortness, for men, is considered a genetic disorder. Sperm banks don't accept short sperm. Imagine if I vocalized that I don't want to have kids with an ugly woman because "I don't want ugly daughters." That wouldn't go over well!
I got knocked up by a short guy.

Twice.

I am glad my son's tall though. Of course it's from my side. The exes brothers are all short, it hasn't stopped any of them getting married to nice looking girls and having a bunch of ordinary sized children LOL.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:32 PM

29,762 posts, read 34,469,808 times
Eleanor Roosevelt is thought to have said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Other people can think whatever they want, but it's your opinion you have control over.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,184,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
How are short women not supposed to feel inferior? All those tall, leggy models in magazines, tall actresses on screen, even the short ones wear 4 inch heels. I've had people *literally* pat me on the head.
Exactly. Even if we're tall, we're still judged on our looks in other ways. Are our boobs big enough, our noses small enough, are we too fat or too skinny? The list of physical attributes we're judged on goes way beyond height.

Last edited by ukiyo-e; 04-11-2014 at 05:47 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 05:30 PM

Yeah what's so special about short anyway?

I've been discriminated against because I've got a vagina, ever since I was born.

I've been called fat half my life.

I've got brown hair. WHO the heck is responsible for me not being blonde, I'd like to know?

Now I'm getting old...I have to chop off said hair according to some anyway! Old people must have short hair!

How am I supposed to not feel inferior? Or anyone with anything going on physically, out of their control, that they personally deem "unfortunate"?

Why do short guys think they have the monopoly on grieving over physical issues they cannot control? I wanna be Paris Hilton! I need to start a thread about that!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:02 PM

377 posts, read 620,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
They were banned in the relationship part of the forum, hopefully they will be banned on the entire forum as well.
Yes, because banning the discussion of a possible psychological affliction on a forum that is meant to discuss these sorts of afflictions in the first place, is definitely the way to go.

Quote:
As far as the original post goes, height has nothing to do with you as a human.
I don't believe anyone asserted otherwise. You're essentially addressing a point that was never raised.

Quote:
If you do not have the qualifications for the specific job you will not get hired. It is your overall being as a human not just a specific trait.
This flies in the face of all of the evidence and studies that have been done in the past years. There are studies that show convincingly that taller men earn more and generally rise the corporate ladder much quicker than those of a shorter stature. This is a well documented fact and well accepted by most psychologists.

Oh, and by the way, no one has even claimed that short men do not get a job for simply being short. You seem to have a strong tendency for strawman fallacies.

Last edited by Astute; 04-11-2014 at 06:17 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 08:10 PM

37,669 posts, read 46,114,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
Most parents are obsessed with measuring their sons. They have them measured as a part of regular doctor visits, even though height is a very neutral health predicter (There's a minor positive correlation between height and intelligence, but then again there's a negative correlation between height and heart disease). Reaching a taller height is considered an achivement. A young boy always gets applauded for showing vertical growth. It's firmly engrained in our minds that tall=good and short=bad.

Why, then, is it any wonder that a Short Man Syndrome exists? We're raised to feel genetically defective. It continues later in life when women get to the birthing age and talk about how they don't want to get knocked up by a short guy because they "Don't want short sons." Basically , shortness, for men, is considered a genetic disorder. Sperm banks don't accept short sperm. Imagine if I vocalized that I don't want to have kids with an ugly woman because "I don't want ugly daughters." That wouldn't go over well!
I take it that you are short.

Your problem is not that you are short. Your problem is that you used EVERYTHING as an excuse for why you cannot get whatever it is you want.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:50 PM

Short man syndrome exists.

It is neither necessary nor attractive.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,358,267 times
I've actually thought a lot about this... okay at least SOME. I think it's like being redheaded. Every day of your life, no matter where you go you hear over and over and over.... look at that red hair. OR look how short you are. Or for that matter, the really tall people don't really look too comfortable or happy. I think it just grates on the nerves after a while to always be recognized for a particular feature that makes you feel different. I don't think people mean it. I love what Eleanor Roosevelt said!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology