Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:20 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times

Advertisements

I served with a lot of little Napoleon's in the Marine Corps. Some figured being a Marine was a cure for their shortness. It wasn't, they were still annoying. Short guys are good at wrestling and soccer, so there's always that. Own your **** with confidence and the world will follow. Don't be small on the inside.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:19 PM

90 posts, read 123,655 times
I wish I were shorter. Everything in the world seems to be designed and arranged for short people.

Cabinets, countertops, appliances, automobiles, lawn & garden equipment, desks at work, doorknobs, sinks, airplane seats, shopping carts, rides in amusement parks, etc etc etc.

Basketball and volleyball were the main things I liked

Old 04-11-2014, 11:54 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
I'm 5'9 1/2" barefoot, and I never considered myself short. Where is the exact line between average height and short? A lot of guys think they are short simply because they are not tall. But an average range exists between short and tall. But having said that, I'd gladly take being 6'2" if I could. Women do seem to like tall guys!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:54 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astute View Post
Yes, because banning the discussion of a possible psychological affliction on a forum that is meant to discuss these sorts of afflictions in the first place, is definitely the way to go.

I don't believe anyone asserted otherwise. You're essentially addressing a point that was never raised.

This flies in the face of all of the evidence and studies that have been done in the past years. There are studies that show convincingly that taller men earn more and generally rise the corporate ladder much quicker than those of a shorter stature. This is a well documented fact and well accepted by most psychologists.

Oh, and by the way, no one has even claimed that short men do not get a job for simply being short. You seem to have a strong tendency for strawman fallacies.

More blah,blah,blah that has nothing to do with the real world outside of those who I'm sure your statistics and studies are about.
I don't have a strawman either, it's too messy and mice like to live in them.

IF you had bothered to read any of the prior posts of this particular original poster you would see that the topic is yet another one of his self loathing issues in his life and it is something else he refuses to deal with on a real world level and realize that his height, weight, or receding hairline is NOT what is holding him back in what he believes should be his ideal life.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:17 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
They aren't, they're just supposed to try their best to beat those odds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Why do people blame their genes or others genes for perceived social "disadvantages" like physical unattractiveness or lack of height?

We are not our genes.
It's been proven that shorter men overall make less money, get promoted less, and have a harder time marrying than taller dudes.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:32 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsqueezer View Post
Yes. This. I don't care if the guy is short, unless HE makes s big deal about it. Sometimes you see a guy who gets into all that overcompensating behavior like driving a gigantic F350 pickup or acting like his you-know-what won't allow him to sit normally. Strutting around with his chest stuck out just makes a short guy look like he's trying too hard. It really doesn't matter to most non-shallow, smart women. At least the ones I know!
^^^^ THAT. Behavior makes men attractive or not, certainly not height or hair or muscles.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:25 AM

1,400 posts, read 763,910 times
Pertaining to the original post, there is no height impressive enough or wealth so copious that would compensate for speaking in such a crass and vulgar way.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:06 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
They aren't, they're just supposed to try their best to beat those odds.

It's been proven that shorter men overall make less money, get promoted less, and have a harder time marrying than taller dudes.
I would say it's the short guys like OP with the woe-is-me loser attitudes that are skewing the data. Would you want to work with or marry a guy like that?

Old 04-12-2014, 08:24 AM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times
All you can do is make the best of what you have been given. Once women get to know the personality, the physical characteristics are not so important. I know two very short men (5'4" or less), and both of them found petite women and got married...also had children. Create the happiest life that you can for yourself.

Look at Mickey Rooney. He was 5'2".

Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 AM

55 posts, read 136,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Oh good, another "short man" thread.
Yes, every negative thing that ever happens in your life, and every negative reaction you ever get from anyone is because you are short. All women hate short men, and you'll never get a good job or promotion because of discrimination against short men. Does that cover it all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology