Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:20 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Plenty of empathic people did bad things as kids too. When I was twelve I was under a lot of stress and I guess that drove me to hurt things and people. Now that I'm an adult I have the power to stand up to people, where as when I was little I couldn't stand up to the adults in my family who were awful to me so I was projecting my anger on another target.

Seriously, observe kids sometime. Even the empathic ones do awful things to one another and animals on occasion.
"They do it too!" Lamest answer ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:03 PM

265 posts, read 409,647 times
do what you go to do as long as it doesn't break the law or physically hurt others. this spectrum stuff doesn't matter and neither does you being a socio in the long run. there is no cure for being a socio...all you got to do is condition yourself to exercise restrain in situations, and make yourself believe you will not get away with extreme crimes/ dangerous stuff.

there are plenty of path's out there and they do just fine plenty of people do bad junk or lack lots of empathy for other outside their immediately family and thy ain't killing people.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
....... It would be interesting to take twins separated at birth and raised in different houses and see if they are both sociopaths or not.
The heritability of antisocial behavior: A meta-analysis of twin and adoption studies - Springer Seems to be roughly 50% heritability.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:45 AM

652 posts, read 874,362 times
Quote:
I never kidnapped or tortured a teenager. I said I've wanked off thinking about it, but that's not that unusual: Rape fantasy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the ducks, again, I was twelve.

Attila - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Genghis Khan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ivan the Terrible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vlad the Impaler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I could go on. People like me are kind of "alpha wolves". If it wasn't for us, who would kill Neanderthal's in their sleep, beat wolves until they became domesticated and scared the other cave-folks into shutting up and doing what was necessary to survive, we wouldn't be here today.
I am curious of why you go to therapy.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:59 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Here I am on holiday in north Africa, and coming back to reading this fascinating thread.......

The chat has drifting from sociopaths, to psychopaths..... then on to evildoers in general. I have always had an interest in people of the recent past like Hitler and Stalin, and what made them do the terrible things they did, and how they justified it in their own minds.

Were they sociopaths, or psychopaths, or something else? Stalin seemed to instill pure fear, but Hitler had followers who adored him, and stayed loyal to the very end. The workings of the mind are endlessly fascinating.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:30 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Both Hitler and Stalin still have followers ...... I met a Stalinist a few years ago and argued with him. Many older Russians still pine for the days of his iron fist.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:31 PM

26,734 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
As I stated, I am not a full blown psychopath but rather have severe anti-social tendencies. It is a spectrum disorder, much like autism.

Yet you titled your thread "Recently diagnosed as a sociopath" and you later stated that you have ASPD, so it's not very clear.

Personality disorders are not spectrum disorders. You either manifest the traits for the diagnostic categories of a personality disorder or you don't. (e.g. many people have some narcissistic behavior, but that doesn't mean they actually have Narcissistic Personality Disorder.)

Quote:
Rain Man was autistic, and so is Bill Gates, but they are very different kind of autistic people. At the same time Ted Bundy was a sociopath and so am I, but we're different kinds of sociopaths. Likewise Sarah Palin's son has mental retardation, and you too have a slightly different from of the same ailment. These are all spectrum disorders.

Autism IS a spectrum disorder.

Ted Bundy was probably a psychopath, not a sociopath. Sarah Palin's son has Down's Syndrome. The Rain Man was portrayed as an autistic savant. There's no evidence that Bill Gates is autistic.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:32 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,548,469 times
Quote:
And that is the scariest part about me for you non-sociopaths: I am not that different from the rest of you, and you may be a lot like me. Do you help people to help them, or to feed your own ego? Do you hang around with your family because you love them, or because of the pleasure they give you by loving you?
Nice try. I'm guessing you're actually getting off on this; scaring people into thinking they may also be pathological. But, unless you're going to go out there and start harming and killing people, there is really nothing scary about you. What you have in common with compassionate, empathetic beings is nothing more than a basic human need, like eating or breathing. Nothing to be scared of there. But that's where it ends. How you feed your ego, how much and whether or not you do it at the expense of others or regardless of them is what defines healthy vs. pathological.

Non sociopaths do care if others live or die, they do have something against hurting people. They help others for the sake of those they help as much as how it makes them feel. You are very different, but you're not alone.

I'm not trying to shame you or anything about your diagnosis, not that I could. You seem to be proud of it. Just pointing out the facts.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yet you titled your thread "Recently diagnosed as a sociopath" and you later stated that you have ASPD, so it's not very clear.

Personality disorders are not spectrum disorders. You either manifest the traits for the diagnostic categories of a personality disorder or you don't. (e.g. many people have some narcissistic behavior, but that doesn't mean they actually have Narcissistic Personality Disorder.)

Autism IS a spectrum disorder.

Ted Bundy was probably a psychopath, not a sociopath. Sarah Palin's son has Down's Syndrome. The Rain Man was portrayed as an autistic savant. There's no evidence that Bill Gates is autistic.
Bill Gates has asperger's syndrome which is a something that is similar ot autsism with the exception that they are functional and lucid. The analysis of Bill Gates by a behavior expert. A loser chosen why weak minded people who founded Havard who lack a backbone or a military who will fight for or defend them.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleister Crowley View Post
Bill Gates has asperger's syndrome which is a something that is similar ot autsism with the exception that they are functional and lucid. The analysis of Bill Gates by a behavior expert. A loser chosen why weak minded people who founded Havard who lack a backbone or a military who will fight for or defend them.
A man from New York state once asked Boston which state West Point was in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology