Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:41 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I heart this post.

To add to it, why do many guys here start so many threads beginning with "Why do women..."?
And not include the word some, as in "why do some women..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 03:30 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
In college as part of a course we were assigned the book "Men are from Mars, and Women from Venus". The book touched upon the issue of well, why females talk so much... *LOL*

Upshot was studies seem to indicate men are more direct in that they speak only to exchange direct information and nothing more. Females OTOH tend to be more highly social and communicate for hosts of other reasons rather than to simply say give an order or make a direct inquiry.

There is also the fact females by and large lack physical strength and or are responsible for the production and care of children. This means they tend to avoid the direct physical activity (fighting) to settle scores that men often do. Rather they simply "gossip" and or use speech communication to do what physical abuse (or threats of) would accomplish otherwise.

All of this plays out in the time worn comedy and or real life situations where females nag, complain and so forth that their men "don't talk" to them and or "share" their feelings. On the other side of the couch most men feel they have said what they need to say and don't require twenty thousand words to express what could be done in a few.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:07 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
While men do gossip, they don't do it at the level women do. It doesn't make any gender more superior than the other.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:36 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
While men do gossip, they don't do it at the level women do. It doesn't make any gender more superior than the other.
Yes, males do gossip, but not to the extent and levels of females.

You only have to look at professions and or jobs that are mostly dominated by females and you see (and hear) non-stop chattering much of it is gossip. In fact the prevalent and often non-stop gossip/chattering that drives many men from such female dominated professions such as bedside nursing. Male nurses often say they just grow weary of the back stabbing, and gossipy environment.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:46 PM

56 posts, read 178,486 times
It's how they create havok in other peoples' lives.

Meanwhile, trying to get the Upper hand over their 'friends',
and probably also sneaking into bed with other womens'
men.

Gossip is just another word for Politicking.
(according to Yahoo definition: Politicking - activity directed towards acquiring power and influence, achieving one's own goals, etc )

Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
I'm sitting beside 2 chicks in Starbucks trying to do some work right?

Literally everything they are saying is gossip.

"Matt's such a creep. He was touching my ass the other day. In my head im thinking, why are you touching my ass?"

"Oh john is cool. He has GF though"

"I was at the gym the other day and this guy tried to talk to me....it was sooooo awkward! He say this this and this!"

"Oh James? Is he married? Is he a singer?"

Gossip in the sense that talk revolved around things other people did and how they felt about it.

Had to put headphones on after 5 minutes.
What is gossip exactly? Talking about human beings?

What's better? ENDLESSLY discussing football scores?

Further, the nosiest people I've ever known are men. However, to obtain gossip they first ask, then AFTER they hear it they say, "Why should that matter?" to make it appear that they're not actually interested in gossip. Quite the two-faced way to get gossip!!

Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post

Further, the nosiest people I've ever known are men. However, to obtain gossip they first ask, then AFTER they hear it they say, "Why should that matter?" to make it appear that they're not actually interested in gossip. Quite the two-faced way to get gossip!!
What the OP is complaining about, isn't even gossip.

He is complaining about the quality of conversation on people he is EAVESDROPPING on.

Seriously? Nothing better to complain about? I guess he could have tapped them on the shoulder and mentioned he would prefer they discuss the current situation in Iraq, so he could enjoy listening in more?

I would think the OP would be better off talking to his friends, then relying on strangers for entertainment.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post

Weird how some people defend gossip by making other kinds
of talk look like a waste of time.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
What the OP is complaining about, isn't even gossip.

He is complaining about the quality of conversation on people he is EAVESDROPPING on.

Seriously? Nothing better to complain about? I guess he could have tapped them on the shoulder and mentioned he would prefer they discuss the current situation in Iraq, so he could enjoy listening in more?

I would think the OP would be better off talking to his friends, then relying on strangers for entertainment.
Funny; the way I understood... he was at work, and had to put on earphones,
not "eavesdropping".

And yes, people who gossip are usually women, that have no lives.
Money makes no difference.

They could be richer than rich, and still have no life.
You can quote me on that one.

(some men are gossipers too)

This thread alone counts as gossip, I think.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:20 PM

48,530 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
I'm sitting beside 2 chicks in Starbucks trying to do some work right?
To refresh memories....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology