Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:44 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times

Advertisements

...or been closely associated with one?
This article below enlightened me on their characteristics:

Articles: Fifteen Things You Probably Do Not Know about Psychopaths

...and help me realize I likely worked for one a few months back.
Here are some characteristics from the article:
Psychopaths are substantially or totally devoid of human feelings: no sympathy, no empathy, no guilt, no remorse, no conscience, and no sense of humor..
Psychopaths are quite predatory.Not only are psychopaths without human feelings, but they are, deep down, contemptuous of all with whom they deal: superiors, subordinates, supporters, opponents, associates, and family alike.
Many, but not all of the feelings listed here his guy I worked for was totally lacking, especially no sympathy and no sense of humor. This guy was abusive, condescending and especially preyed on the weaker people.
I wasn't too familiar with what made someone a psychopath and I confused them with people who are psychotic, but psychopaths are much more functional day by day than psychotics.
This is probably not enlightening to a lot of posters here, but it was an eye-opener to me.
The article says roughly 1% of the population are psychopaths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 03:53 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,429 times
oh yes. one boss was definitely a psychopath. and when two of us stood up to her, our jobs were eliminated. we then called her out to management and she resigned 6 months later. now she is off to do her damage in another state.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:15 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Experience dealing with a sociopath at work?

Old 06-27-2014, 04:16 PM

398 posts, read 471,281 times
Yes, I got fired by one. The only job I was fired from.

The guy was in communications, and he was crazy, along with the assistant manager. So, two psychos in one job. So glad to leave that job.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Yes, twice.
It is VERY neat when your co workers that you had been trying to tell
finally give you a call after you have left and say," Oh my God, I saw it!
I saw Ms .XX 'turn'...into this insane person....you were right!!".

Oh yeah....she hid it well.

I'm talking psycho as in they could have picked up a French knife and
stabbed us all...that kind of psycho.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:49 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times
I've worked under several psychopaths over the last ten years. It's gotten so I can spot them early on. Expensive lessons to learn, but in what society has become quite valuable lessons.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:48 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
Yes, I got fired by one. The only job I was fired from.

The guy was in communications, and he was crazy, along with the assistant manager. So, two psychos in one job. So glad to leave that job.
And even though you didn't realize it, that was a blessing in disguise.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:47 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,732 times
They are 1% in the population but 50% of us have had contact with them? That's the first clue of sensationalism.

This fellow has an interesting HR perspective on these persons but has little substance related to their appearance in the corporate milieu and their prevalence there. They are becoming recognized more easily? I don't think so. If this is true, crime is decreasing and politics is becoming the way to create compromise in the world. There may be a greater number of immoral or value-less persons, but this isn't in itself psychopathy. There may be greater power-hungry persons, but this isn't psychopathy. When you understand that a small percent of wrong-doing is uncovered and a greater percent goes on unawares, you will have a greater idea of what psychopathy truly is. It is more than a creepy feeling or a bad job. This is a person who doesn't like the spotlight but enjoys the glamor. This is a person who is far more discrete and protective than can be described. Realize you only catch the worst of the bad. The really good ones keep working and for the benefit of success and livelihood (yes, they do survive like everyone else and require an income like everyone else), they won't be caught.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times
I have worked for a few it comes with working in sales and having a sales manager.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:23 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
They are 1% in the population but 50% of us have had contact with them? That's the first clue of sensationalism.
Most of the people in the workplace that get labeled sociopaths are mere a__holes. They may be narcissists or megalomaniacs or simply bipolar or borderline -- all of these can seem sociopathic at times. Even some forms of Asperger's or Schizod personalities can have antisocial seeming tendencies that are easy to label sociopathic because their emotional affect isn't what one would expect.

More often than not, the business and political realms self-select for jerks by rewarding them for being jerks. Not on purpose (generally), of course. But for example if you mandate that crime must go down and then don't both empower and fund the activities necessary to make that happen and/or impose arbitrary deadlines or quotas, crimes will just get reclassified or concealed so that crime rates go down. There was a huge expose on TV the other day about how Chicago magically turned its violent crime rates around in a couple of years and that is how they did it. If my daughter died under suspicious circumstances and the police refused to consider it a homicide, I'd be tempted to think the idiot who made that decision was a sociopath or worse, too. But the truth is, he is just trying to keep his job and doing whatever it takes to make his superiors happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology