Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
OK. I landed last night at 7:30pm at JFK. Another enjoyable, uneventful flight. There were some bumps. Funny thing is that they do not bother me. None of it bothers me. I think I figured out my problem. My last flight was a nightmare, at least in my mind. The only difference was the darkness. When that plane was shaking and moving in the dark and rain, my mind told me it was flying toward the earth. In reality, I bet it was doing nothing but shaking but my mind saw something different and you could not change my mind about it.

I must conclude that I have little to no fear or flying after this experience. Thankfully, my kids loved it. And while I had Jet Blue tv there, I barely watched it. I was more interested in the map channel that showed the plane's progress and status. The entire flight, I could just sit there and think that I have zero control. We are far too high at 38000' and going 540 mph for anything to stop something from happening. The worrying in my mind for all of those weeks and months leading up to the flight were gone as soon as I got on the plane. The Xanax may have had a slight effect but I honestly believe I just enjoyed the flight. I always had a thought in the back of my mind that something could happen at any moment but while I was in the situation, my mind would not allow me to picture any gory scenes. I only thought about my destination.

I truly cannot believe I survived this. Of course, my wife's family were right by telling me it was all gonna be ok. They are proud of me but it sounds like such a willing thing to be proud of, considering millions do this every day. I must confess that I would not go on the small roller coaster at Legoland. That is something I will never do. Also, I will still have an issue with flying over oceans. We were over the water for awhile last night for the 15 minutes befor we landed. I wasn't thrilled but I knew were were close to land.

For those of you that are on the fence, give it a shot. Read my early posts and compare it to this. I am not different than you. I was truly terrified and thought I would die. I cleaned up my desk t work and deleted all personal files. I left notes and instructions for my sister just in case. I will definitely fly again soon. No more 22 hour drives to Disney when. I could fly in 3. What an incredible burden lifted from me! I am aware that there is always a risk but I just have to hope that I am never on that one in 11 million flights that crash. Chances are, I will not be and neither will you, though nobody can guarantee that. Good luck. Thanks for all of the posts, including the ones that kicked me in the ass. I

The best part of this is that I feel like I accomplished something. I would have been very disappointed in myself if the wife and family made it all home safe while I safely drove.
again i am proud of you going through this and coming out the other side with a different view of flying. good job my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You were COURAGEOUS! My favorite characteristic and what I want most to be.

I thought of you, because it was POURING RAIN last night and I'd read your earlier post and knew you were flying into JFK. (I'm in Jersey, near the shore--if I go to Long Branch, I can see the planes heading for JFK. We're not that far apart over the water.)

And I have to confess, I thought of this thread because since it started, my daughter accepted a job offer in Beijing. She'll be there for a year, and I will likely want to fly to China to visit her. As I said, I'm not as afraid of death since 9/11, but...it's THIRTEEN-HOUR FLIGHT. It will probably be next year. If I have a meltdown, I'll revive this thread!
start by thinking about the aircraft itself, and how on take off it almost feels like the aircraft is having fun getting into its element. every time i fly it feels to me like the aircraft has a feeling for joy on take off and climbing out to altitude. and it almost feels depressed on landing as it is no longer in its element.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Thanks for posting the outcome of your flights. We don't often see that and are left wondering.

And congratulations for facing your fears. No matter that it was basically an unfounded fear, it was a real fear to you, and to face it took courage. I'm sure you feel better about yourself for doing so... besides the fact that you can now fly rather than drive to Disneyland. Next up: skydiving. JK

Old 08-13-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Thanks for posting the outcome of your flights. We don't often see that and are left wondering.

And congratulations for facing your fears. No matter that it was basically an unfounded fear, it was a real fear to you, and to face it took courage. I'm sure you feel better about yourself for doing so... besides the fact that you can now fly rather than drive to Disneyland. Next up: skydiving. JK
hmmm, i am not sure about that, why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, unless you are halo or haho jumping into hostile territory for a military mission.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:24 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
What really helped me was waiting for the plane inside the airport and watching so many of the planes take off and land all morning. This happens every day and if it isn't on the news, they didn't crash. In the air, I simply thought of it as a train ride. I was fearing the claustrophobic feeling but as I said before, if I am not claustrophobic on a train, bus or elevator, why would I feel that way on a plane. Sure, you can't get off but , would you really want to? In the sky, I just kept thinking how routine this all is. I even asked the pilot if there was any reason for me to be concerned about the high winds in NY and he said no. I believe him. Why would he want to fly if it were dangerous to himself? I was also astonished at how no one anywhere showed any visible sign of fear. Everyone was on their cell telling someone WHEN they get back, they will do this or that. I kept thinking how pompous it was for them to be so sure they will get back at all, but they did.

So, I am only in fear of a crash. The turbulence I experienced was so minimal that it felt like I was driving on any city road for a few minutes. When I fly again, I am sure I will get a slight sick feeling and lose my appetite. I knew I was alright when I was eating on the plane. No worries at that point. I only feared what MIGHT have happened, but it never did. I am glad I did it and I am glad it is over for now. And I got to see Paul McCartney live at dodgers Stadium with my 6 year old son. That was worth the entire ordeal.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:30 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
The true meaning of courage is to face your fears, and you did that.

Good for you!

And I'm impressed that you were comfortable on the plane. That is a triumph!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:05 PM

It feels triumphant but of course I could revert to a complete wuss at any given time if there is ever severe turbulence. I will fly next time with less anxiety and will not make myself go through weeks of mental torture. I will,simply get on the plane and hope for the best. I guess that is what most people do. I will take Xanax again as a precaution. Better safe than sorry. The only problem I have now is that my wife is saying that after doing it, I should be able to fly all the time. I told her not to get too carried away. Good luck to anyone else who faces this fear. I can assure you that, as long as the flight goes relatively smoothly, it will be a beautiful experience up there. Reach out to me if you want to hear more from me.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
It feels triumphant but of course I could revert to a complete wuss at any given time if there is ever severe turbulence. I will fly next time with less anxiety and will not make myself go through weeks of mental torture. I will,simply get on the plane and hope for the best. I guess that is what most people do. I will take Xanax again as a precaution. Better safe than sorry. The only problem I have now is that my wife is saying that after doing it, I should be able to fly all the time. I told her not to get too carried away. Good luck to anyone else who faces this fear. I can assure you that, as long as the flight goes relatively smoothly, it will be a beautiful experience up there. Reach out to me if you want to hear more from me.
you are the example for others that have the same fear of flying you did. if you can do it they can too.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:19 PM

I feel that way now but other's successful flights didn't mean a hill of beans to me when I started the thread. I was only concerned about MY flight. I now see all flights as routine flights. They all behave the sane way, unless something terrible goes wrong.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 617 times
I can totally relate….I once took buses for 12 days and then when feeling exhausted I took a flight to go back to US. It's horrible that people that suffer from this fear have no other way as an option. In my case I would not mind to drive 2 weeks to reach a foreign country if I had to and I would do it gladly. But no…we do not have an option…either you fly or you have to change your plans. I'm now considering taking cruises to be able to move between countries. Flights are not a normal way of transportation…I'm sorry…It's too high and too fast..and it's claustrophobic…its all a huge unnatural experience…people that tend to be more sensible will definitely hate it…people that are not..will just tolerate it…and a few will actually enjoy it.

I think we need options…like an international rail road that could connect north America to south America…or a highway…governments should make it happen..specially with all the oil issues..it would be a nice alternative to flying. Come on Panama and Colombia let fix this Darien situation and finish that road! Make it safe so we people can have an option to drive between Brazil and US..it would be nice maybe I'm just dreaming…

If I were you I would go driving or take a nice big room on Amtrak and have fun…if you don't have the time to do it…then don't do it. If your wife loves you she will be understandable as well as your family in California.

People have limitations…if you don't want to put yourself in that situation just don't do it no matter what other people say to you…it's your life in the end.

I hope in the near future we have an option to flying…for international travel…an option that its on the ground…theres no mechanical shops in the air and Im not a bird!!!

Old 12-08-2016, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 370 times
I know this thread is a couple years old, but I stumbled upon it googling stuff about my "fear" of flying...or DREAD/PHOBIA of flying rather.

I read through a good chunk of this entire thread, and I really felt like I could relate to the OP. But, when I came to the end to find that he went on the flight and feels he has conquered his fear...I can't say that I have had the same positive outcome from my experiences.

My husband's parents and siblings, as well as 95% of his relatives, live out of state. For the last 5 and a half years that we have been together, I have traveled with him 1-2 times a year to visit his family. I've been to a variety of airports, been on night flights, day flights, in all kinds of weather, on bigger planes and smaller planes, and had numerous layover flights. The thing is... no matter how much experience I get with flying, and how many "successful" flights I have been on (literally basically every single one... I say basically because there have been a couple instances that have really given me a reason to feel fearful, which I will explain) the phobia does not get better....in fact, it gets INCREASINGLY WORSE.

It is now to the point that I will not be going with my husband out of state for xmas this year. Granted, there are other reasons too....but that is the main one. I think I could deal with the other things if my fear of flying wasn't so out of control.

Not only is it just stressful before the flight and during, however, it ruins the entire trip for me. I feel so stressed out about the flight back, that I end up exhausted from the anxiety the entire trip and have trouble enjoying myself. Usually by the third day or so of each trip, I end up just so exhausted and anxiety ridden that I don't want to do much of anything and am an emotional wreck. This is a large part of why I will not go to xmas this year... I feel like I bring the entire group down with my anxiety when it's supposed to be a happy and fun time.

Like I said, pretty much every flight I have ever been on has been fine. I have been on two flights with some pretty bad turbulence that really shook me up (and had me in tears), but to be honest, the fear of turbulence doesn't have anything at all to do with my fear. It sucks when it's happening, but I do know it's normal, and it doesn't really scar me in any way.

The only other instance I had that really freaked me out on a flight, was that someone had a medical emergency on a flight we were on. It was scary because the flight attendants were frantically running back and forth and the pilot kept calling them. We started rapidly descending....but we were not told what was happening. They did not explain it was a medical emergency until very shortly before we landed. So I was sitting there thinking the fricken thing was crashing or running out of gas or who knows! I was, of course, sad for the woman who had the emergency...but I was relieved to find out we weren't doomed.

Nonetheless, although that was a very scary experience, that too, does not factor into my fear. The fear just exists... regardless. It isn't made better by any of the "good" experiences I have had... or worse by anything EXCEPT the fact that I have continued to fly.

Yes. That's right. The simple fact that I have flown more and more makes it WORSE...because it feels like my chances of something horrible happening are increasing.

Other than that, the number of factors that DO play into my fears increase, and literally for NO reason. When my fear began, it was because I became fearful of crashing for some reason. I was usually fine with taking off and landing, but when I was up in the sky I would get nervous, because we were so high up in the sky with no way to escape...it was a long way down if anything happens. I had some claustrophobia going on too...but that's about the extent of my fear when it began.

Then it grew. And, I also became fearful of taking off and landing. Much like the OP said, how he felt like if he got too comfortable, god might be like "jokes on you".... well, I have actually had the idea reinforced. I had a pretty crappy landing experience one time, and it was LITERALLY right after I said to my husband, "cool, we'll be landing soon. I'm good with landing, so I'm happy. I did good."

So now on top of the fears, I have this ridiculous thinking that TRAPS me into the phobia by thinking that if I dare to get comfortable with flying... I will then SURELY experience a plane crash.

I used to laugh at my ex-boyfriend's friend, because he refused to fly because of what happened with 9/11. He was afraid of a terrorist hijacking the plane. I thought it was completely irrational. Yes, it happened, and it was absolutely tragic...but the chances of that happening again? Not likely. And I thought he was silly for using that as a reason not to fly.

Now, here I am, afraid of the same crap. Especially as it seems our political situations get more and more dicey, and the ISIS issues.... Now, I, too, am terrified that I will be involved in some terrorist airplane attack somehow...AND it's ESPECIALLY bad if it's during the holidays...which is the time that we CERTAINLY fly to see my husband's family.

More and more I hate the tight spaces. The lack of nice fresh air. The fears of crashing, plane malfunction, pilot issues, weather... YOU NAME IT....

The problem is that my phobia isn't just rooted in one or two main causes. It's not like, "oh, I'm just afraid because of turbulence or this one bad experience" I'm not just afraid merely of the plane falling out of the sky... I know that scientifically that's highly unlikely EVEN if there is a malfunction because of the way that planes are designed, safety features, etc. I am afraid of every single thing there is to hate and be afraid of when it comes to flying. It's phobia PLUS just absolutely hating every part of the flying experience....the tight spaces, the crazy prices for food/drinks if you want them...the crappy bathroom situation...etc.

Like the OP... none of the most convincing statistics in the world can convince me...because the few times that horrific things do happen... don't make them any less tragic for those who were on those flights. They, too, probably thought they were on a safe flight.

Difference between me and OP is that I HAVE actually struggled with driving anxiety, too. I do have to do a lot of driving now days, due to going to work and school and driving back and forth from one to the other to make it all work. I live about an hour away from school, too. I hate driving over bridges, and when I merge onto the highway, I often have little "flashes" of terrifying imagery and sensations of a deadly car crash. I was in a bad accident when I was younger (I wasn't driving) and it has stuck with me. I have come a REALLY long way in my driving anxiety, though, and sometimes I can honestly say I enjoy driving. But I will never be fully "cured" of it.

Regardless of that difference between me and the OP though... I think the same way that he did. It isn't the fear of death itself that terrifies me. It's HOW it happens. And it seems like a lot of people who have responded don't quite get it. YES, I would rather die from illness or something than in some brutal car crash or plane crash. Why? I don't know...I think it's the intense manner in which it happens. If you die from illness... you can die in a bed, with your friends/family there. There are no crazy loud crashes, explosions, booms, or items crashing into your body or slicing you apart. You aren't plummeting through the sky down to the ground at crazy fast speeds. You aren't being crushed in between pieces of metal... etc...

The WAY in which I die really does impact my fear. It is NOT the fear of death itself. And YES, I know, that some horrifying thing could happen without me expecting it... I get that. But you just can't rationalize that with me, because that's like saying, I might as well smoke cigarettes, since I might just die from something else anyway. You know? If you can rationalize by saying "you could die doing anything" then what would be the point of any of us trying to keep ourselves safe from danger and keeping ourselves as healthy as we can? That's how I look at flying. I am removing a potential risk.

I wish something or someone could convince me differently... I have tried therapy, I have done all kinds of breathing techniques, crossword puzzles and things to keep my mind focused on other things... I have drank alcohol... I have worn comfy clothes, made sure I am prepared... read up on all the facts that are SUPPOSED to help reassure you...I've talked to flight attendants...etc. And it just gets worse. The last few flights, I have literally cried on.

I feel like everyone thinks I am ridiculous and unreasonable for it. And maybe I am! But that doesn't make it go away, and it doesn't make it better for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology