Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 03:03 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,950 times

Advertisements

Did you join or know someone who joined and it really made a difference? I was just curious because I never joined. I didn't think I would enjoy it so I didn't. I thought it was interesting that a good friend of mine recently told me the same thing. So people who joined girl/boy scouts probably have different personalities than me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 04:39 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,912,457 times
I was a cub scout, boy scout, and then explorer scout, the latter at high school age. I am very glad to have had the experiences of hiking, camping, cooking over a fire I had built myself, learning life-saving techniques in swimming, and so forth. Keep in mind that the experience one gets in a scouting group (boy or girl) will vary with the quality of the leadership in a given group, so it may be hard to generalize.

Recently an eleven-year-old girl mentioned to me that she had been to the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History on a girl scout field trip. I responded that I was glad she did those kinds of things because it's so sad when kids just sit at home and watch TV. OP, I am not saying you sat at home and watched TV during your childhood. Nor am I claiming that scouting is a good experience for every chlld that goes through it.

But on the whole, yes, it's a worthwhile experience.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:37 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
I was a girl scout and then a leader. I enjoyed it very much, despite having low quality leadership as a kid but then I loved the outdoors and camping and hiking. I don't know that it makes a difference if you didn't though--there's so many other things that you could do that would be equally valuable I should think.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
I was a cub scout only, and it was just another activity to me, with opportunities to do crafts and other fun things. I had no interest in continuing on to Boy Scouts.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,109 times
I was a brownie and girl guide back in the day when the programs really did help children understand that they needed to be responsible for their own actions and participation trophies were not the name of the game. In today's world, I would not put a child into those programs. I had to pull my daughter out even 25 or so years ago because she was being taught there that you get something for nothing. I could not see the value of that for any child/adult in training.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
My family was into Scouting, and I and my siblings participated until we were in early high school, i.e. none of us attained the highest ranks, but we all had years of immersion in the organizations.

I think it was an intensely successful character builder. Just practicing the oath, law, and motto of the Boy Scouts provided a solid platform for a lifetime of right behavior and ethics.

Even in my rebellious phase when, by appearance, I looked like I might mug you or sell you drugs, I considered it important to "do a good turn daily" and basically live according to the Boy Scout Law: A Boy Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

The camping trips (my suburban NYC troop camped/hiked at least once a month) and meetings were just a bonus.

Now, I will say that a good fit may have a lot to do with your individual, local troop and the dedication of its leaders. I grew up in a culturally/religiously diverse area, so there was an emphasis on civics and civic duty, whereas many troops are associated with churches or synagogues and have a more religious focus.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:06 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Where I come from, lower income families could not afford the costs associated with joining, thus the majority did not join.

I don't think it has anything to do with personalities, etc., just what a family can afford or the "tradition" of the family, one's friends joining...........

I have had two husbands that were Boy Scouts, one through the highest rank and, frankly, the "Boy Scout Law", yeah, many don't carry that with them.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:56 AM

8,179 posts, read 6,929,698 times
I joined brownies because I thought the whole point was to make brownies and then sell them for charitable causes. This is why you should never ASSUME. I was excited because I thought, y'know... if we're making brownies all the time, we would obviously be eating a lot of brownies too.

First meeting they were talking about doing all of these nice little things to earn badges and such, and I was thinking "This is a total scam! This is like bait-and-switch!" I was looking around at the other nice little girls hoping for some commiseration... and none. They were all happy and smiling.

So I sort of got tricked into the brownies by my own stupidity. Then I went on to Girl Scouts and had an insane troop leader.

Just all around, it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:48 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,296,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I joined brownies because I thought the whole point was to make brownies and then sell them for charitable causes. This is why you should never ASSUME. I was excited because I thought, y'know... if we're making brownies all the time, we would obviously be eating a lot of brownies too.

First meeting they were talking about doing all of these nice little things to earn badges and such, and I was thinking "This is a total scam! This is like bait-and-switch!" I was looking around at the other nice little girls hoping for some commiseration... and none. They were all happy and smiling.

So I sort of got tricked into the brownies by my own stupidity. Then I went on to Girl Scouts and had an insane troop leader.

Just all around, it didn't work out as well as I'd hoped.

LMAO!!

Old 02-08-2017, 11:53 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,657,337 times
Dated a former Eagle Scout...not a great guy...I was a Brownie earned my wings but quit...I think I'm a good person...so not sure the Scouts lasting effect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology