Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 06:06 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They also do that so that they won't violate privacy laws by using names.
B-r-r-r-r-t! Wrong, but thank you for playing! (As an homage to Robin Williams' performance in Dead Poets Society.)

The issue predates the privacy laws by several decades!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No one says I'm schizophrenia. And bipolar is an adjective.
If they say anything they say "I'm schizophrenic." I have known four people who said "I'm bipolar." (One of them definitely was; two 'maybe'; one definitely not.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 07:05 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
If I had to guess, it might be a way of people expressing the quandary of "where does the personality begin and the condition end?" I would wager most adults have had contact with friends/family/co-workers where that has been seriously considered.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:17 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
No, I'm not talking about the PC part; that's why I mentioned that to distinguish what I'm complaining about. What I'm saying is people are saying "I am OCD" which is like saying "I am hypoglycemia" or "I am diabetes" or "I am bulimia." Yes a person is HIV positive, but the person HAS HIV. Bulimic, hypoglycemic, HIV+, and diabetic are adjectives, so yes, some can say they "are" those.
I guess some words don't really translate into adjectives so well. There is bulimic and bulimia. Hypoglycemic and hypoglycemia. But for the "lettered diseases" and abbreviations, it just doesn't roll off the tongue that way. "I'm OCDic" or I'm "ADHDic" just ain't working. "OCDish" could work, but only if you have just a little of something.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:20 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I could even understand if they would say "I'm O-C" meaning "I'm obsessive-compulsive."
In a few more years maybe they will be. Everything is getting shortened daily.

Except OC is already slang for Oxytocin...

It's fascinating how language is always changing to reflect society. This makes English language studies more of a social science at times.

I was recently explaining what the word supper *really* means to a friend. I do this a lot handing down my wisdom of "real" definitions that me grandmother taught me. This was the first time I stopped myself and changed my lesson to "what it used to mean."

Last edited by Utopian Slums; 09-24-2014 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-25-2014, 05:48 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I've complained about this on the health forum. I hear people saying they are OCD in real life, too, and I just want to slap them.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:15 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
I think you're overreacting a wee bit.
Yes, taking a few minutes to post about a trivial issue online is such a huge overreaction.

Please, it's not like I'm yelling and screaming and stomping my feet. If a little written venting and discussion with an "Ugh" tossed in here and there is an "overreaction," then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:22 PM

288 posts, read 204,509 times
IMHO I'm bipolar & you should just be thankful you're not!!!

Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frydazechild View Post
IMHO I'm bipolar & you should just be thankful you're not!!!
That's different. Being bipolar is an accurate use of a term. If you said, "I'm bipolar disorder" it would not be.

To say "He is obsessive-compulsive disorder" or "she is attention-deficit disorder" doesn't make any sense.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:50 AM

288 posts, read 204,509 times
My point was, there are times when I can't separate myself from the "disorder" it feels like IT IS me; not something I suffer from. If you sit in the dark alone enough nights, or become afraid of your own thoughts
You feel it. The rest is a mute point; however you put it. It's really not a grammer issue; it is a mental issue.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frydazechild View Post
My point was, there are times when I can't separate myself from the "disorder" it feels like IT IS me; not something I suffer from. If you sit in the dark alone enough nights, or become afraid of your own thoughts
You feel it. The rest is a moot point; however you put it. It's really not a grammer issue; it is a mental issue.
I understand what you are trying to say here--no need to whack yourself in the head, you'll just make things worse. Your perception doesn't apply to everyone, however. And if you want to talk about your mental illness and the difficulties it causes you, there is a Mental Health forum on City-Data. Mental illness is not the topic of this thread.

I HAVE OCD, and even though YES, it feels as if it is very much a part of me, I would never insist on saying I AM OCD. And that's probably because I do have OCD and already have a problem with the way people murder the language and seem to just not care. So, instead I try to remember to fix the errors and misuses, when possible, instead of pointing them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology