Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 AM

167 posts, read 409,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I don't think this problem has anything to do with your genetic ancestry. It sounds more like you already had a low self esteem and feelings of alienation to begin with, and then in discovering your possible 1.5% of Roma DNA, you focused on that as being of great significance simply because it was a population that was alienated and looked down on by mainstream society. Your issue is about you, not a small sliver of your ethnic ancestry. I would advise you to seek help with that from a therapist or a good self-help program.

Yeah you're right. I've always had low self-esteem and a strong inferiority complex. Before I got interested in my ancestries, I had dismorphophobia about every single inch of my body So that's probably just a new face of the same old problem..

But if anyone has any other advice to give about that particular issue I'd be glad to know it

Thank you for all your answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:32 PM

45,660 posts, read 27,291,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlockin View Post
Hello everyone. I have a pretty strange problem I want to talk about...

My ethnicity, from what I know, is mostly Swiss with remote italian and very small portions of french, greek and hungarian roma (1.5625% if confirmed). And I have a very strange problem about this last ancestry. The romani people are hated by everyone and described in very hard words (beggars, parasites, stealers, lazy, ugly, stinking, noisy) by the big majority of the people I know. There is nothing I find to be proud of this ancestry... And knowing they're from India makes me feel uneuropean... And a stranger in my own country... I know it's stupid, I know a so small portion of my ancestry should have no impact on the way I see myself but I always had a very strong inferiority complex...

I have the citzenship my country. I was born here, I lived here all my life, I speak the language of my country, my parents only have the citzenship of my country and were born and raised here, like all my grandparents and all my great-grandparents... But still I envy all the people I know who only have european ancestry they can be proud of... It's the most stupid reaction in the world and it's totally racist to feel inferior because of that but I can't stop thinking about it... It's so strange...

Any advices ? Thank you very much in advance if someone answer

(P.S. I don't really care about what you think of the romani people. This is a psychology forum and I'm looking for help. Not bad comments)
Your problem is in red above.

Stop envying. Stop comparing yourself with others - they don't care about you, at least most of them. Be the best person you can be with where you are now.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:55 AM

167 posts, read 409,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Your problem is in red above.

Stop envying. Stop comparing yourself with others - they don't care about you, at least most of them. Be the best person you can be with where you are now.
I know I just wish I could sometimes fit in what's considered good here even if it's stupid... Anyway thank you for you answer I'll try
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology