Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:30 PM

34 posts, read 41,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Movies and video games depend on conflict and drama. Real life, not so much (excepting maybe attorneys and the kinda women who are attracted to "bad boys")!
true. but dwayne rock johnson, bruce willys, batman, kratos the god of war have millions of fans. and those fans like mostly them and their characters. why is it so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 09:27 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
They play fictional characters!!!

Their fans don't know them.

Besides, people do a lot of things in movies that are not ok in real life.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:47 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoholix View Post
true. but dwayne rock johnson, bruce willys, batman, kratos the god of war have millions of fans. and those fans like mostly them and their characters. why is it so?
I see what you're saying, but fictional heroes have to be "larger than life", because the villains and situations they face are larger than life. Though in real life such heroes would mostly just stomp around looking badass and kinda cranky, with nothing to do!

Unless maybe you know of someplace where they might face super-villains, evil wizards, and olympian demi-gods in real life?!

Old 02-20-2015, 10:22 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,458,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
They play fictional characters!!!

Their fans don't know them.

Besides, people do a lot of things in movies that are not ok in real life.
^^THIS^^
You are confusing a few issues.
What you see portrayed in Hollywood and mass media entertainment is simply entertainment. Producers, Directors and script writers choreograph encounters, conflicts, disputes, fights as 'scenes' etc...

These are done for maximum impact to viewing audience to gain sympathy, encourage the viewer to identify with them or live vicariously through them (which it seems you desire to do). They rarely if ever mimic real life encounters (and the many variables that make them highly risky depending on environmental context are rarely shown).

They are made to be 'cartoonish' (indestructible heroes - vile heinous criminals etc...) when in real life these types of conflict are much 'grayer' in nature. Often times they are a comedy of errors and misperceptions / perceived slights etc...

The positive aspect I think you are inferring - standing up to bully or a obnoxious person is muted in the USA (and most developed societies) by having a legal process bathed in political correctness. So the simple standing up to misbehavior in a public place or work place is hindered by processes. I surmise on occasion at times a person just standing firm would work just as well, but then ironically the bullying type when put in their place is most likely going to fight back as victim using the system.

A basic truism is - those with nothing to lose are the most likely to engage in aggressive behavior in any environment - unless it is regulated (i.e. types of sports) by some guidelines of engagement.

Let's illustrate a few Hollywood confrontations for fun (note: language for those easily offended):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYslRVWnyXk
This is kind audiences applaud and wish to see, so the directors script it so. It is a cartoon caricature of the indestructible hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI-VY5cC2jk
This one is a bit more realistic but is from a different era and of a certain culture - it is effective due to ambiguity of character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W1qR80oOt4
Cartoonish, but done extremely well stylistically Denzel Washington in 'spaghetti western' like apocalyptic landscape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOxALdM7StQ
Bar scene more realistic. Again 'culture' driven

Realistically, unless there is a clear reason to self defense the physically standing up to someone is not smart. Telling someone off may be effective but in todays world of the walking medicated and mentally unstable that is highly risky. SO unless you don't care about getting a criminal 'record' most cognitive adults avoid overt confrontation.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:33 PM

137 posts, read 144,350 times
In a winner? Yes.

Tony Soprano-type characters get laid more than any other "type" of guy I've ever seen. Let them say whatever they want to themselves to feel good about their self-image...most young women absolutely need a source of drama in their man. Anger is theater. Impulsive is masculine.

In a loser? No.

Humble losers can be attractive to some women in the same way a puppy can be attractive. But nobody likes a street thug selling dime bags flashing his '9.' An obvious and predictable time-bomb that will invariably end in ramen noodles and studio apartments.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:37 AM

897 posts, read 1,180,638 times
Quote:
explain why is it cool in movies but not in real life.
Because it's a fantasy/unreal and is used as a tool by directors to drive home a point. They exaggerate subjective/objective moments and characters to get across a point or set a mood. They do this through lighting, music, acting, scenery, effects, etc. In reality, most of the things that happen in movies wouldn't be acceptable. In most of the instances you are describing, they would happen in action/dramatic/thriller films, where liberties are often taken to "get a point across". Hence the saying "what a character" for someone who acts unbelievable, whether good or bad. It's not the norm or expected. It's just the director creating an unreal "character". Suddenly punching someone in the face and then cooly smoking a cigarette does not happen very often in real life, and it's not cool when it happens.

No awesome music plays, and no lighting creates a spotlight as the hot guy turns to the ladies watching after he decked a guy for badmouthing him, as he comes up with a perfectly timed quip, while he flexes his perfect body as his 'enemy' lies unconscious on the ground all due to a momentary lapse in judgement and self control that the hot guy had. Nor does he flick a perfect curl of hair and call out, "Take me in, coppers!" as the police handcuff him, while he does a man smolder with his eyes. And then hot guy is carted off in a beat up cop car that plays as a perfect juxtaposition to his polished exterior that hides his inner "beast" so well. And scene.

No. That's not ever how it goes in real life.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:46 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Why? Because people wish real life was as simple as entertainment makes it appear. Why do people also like to watch skilled professionals like chefs, builders, artists, musicians, etc., on TV? They make hard things look easy and pleasant to do.

It takes intelligence, maturity, and evolved thinking to solve most of the real problems in life. Brute strength may look attractive but, in fact, it is simplistic, addresses problems rather than solves them long-term, and quite often is against the law. If dispatching the bad guys with a single punch or a bullet actually worked, there wouldn't be many, would there?

You can say the same thing about aggressive governments. If war stopped them, the first war ever fought would have been the last one.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:15 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
It would be nice if legal recourse wasn't the only choice, nomatter what, we're still animals, and have our ways.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:07 AM

93 posts, read 93,665 times
Quote:
Can anger and impulsive behavior be attractive?
Yes it can.

As long as that anger is directed towards someone that you think is deserving of it.

Example... Orlando Bloom punching Justin Beiber in the face made Orlando appear very attractive (very likeable) to myself and many because we viewed that Justin's actions and behavior were repulsive, which in turn, made us think that Justin deserved to receive Orlando's wrath.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Because it's a cop-out to make people without those traits, or hate those traits feel better about themselves via false justification. Ya know, like how people say bullies hate themselves. There is no way a general statement covers everybody and every situation. If I say something like all gay guys are wimps, or all black people are ghetto, I would get in trouble on here, so why are all.people with impulse control, immature, or all bullies have low self-esteem? It's a simple human emotion, and honestly a natural act to want to fight, people just try so hard to seperate themselves from other animals, and animalistic instincts. Not all animals fight, either. Some people are quick to fight, others choose to talk it out or let it slide, what gets me is when they think the are the better person, or higher life form, because of it- which is just as arrogant as the guy who'll punch you in the face for running your mouth.
That is one of the most intelligent statements I have ever read. If only more people understood that. So many people make stereotypes and assumptions about people belonging to different groups. "People from the South are dumb Republican hicks." "Female bosses are witches on a power trip." "SAHM are just out to bleed their husbands dry financially." "Bipolar people are impossible to love and get along with." Etc, etc. . . Anger and impulsive behavior are appropriate in some situations and not others, just like most behavior and feelings are.

As I have matured, I feel a lot less anger about things, and the situation I get most angry with is not people, but computers. Although I appreciate them and they are very helpful in most instances, sometimes they are just overused and I get sick of dealing with them with the: endless automated menus that can't be avoided when I'm calling megacorporations, annoying hold times with repeating recordings that come on every five seconds assuring me how important I am as a customer, self checkout lanes that error for seemingly arbitrary reasons, glitchy CAPTCHA codes that won't let me proceed to whatever website I need to get to, are just some of the things that enrage me. But it's OK to get furious at robots and computers, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology