Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 09:52 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

Bottom line is this. If you are so overly concerned about being perceived as a pervert chances are you may be one.
Refresh my memory -- where did I say I was concerned about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 10:00 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Refresh my memory -- where did I say I was concerned about that?
Obviously I was referring to the original poster. I was using the term "you" to apply this to any individual.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:58 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Point is all the fear was within this guys head. Nobody said anything to him. He did mention that the five times he looked at these girls they were looking at him.

You don't see how thinking to say "put on a show" is odd? He didn't think to ask them to demonstrate proficiency with a hula hoop, he wanted "a show".

Bottom line is this. If you are so overly concerned about being perceived as a pervert chances are you may be one.
Or the OP could simply be self-conscious about how others perceive him. Are you sure you are cut out for this sub-forum?

Old 09-28-2015, 11:14 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Or the OP could simply be self-conscious about how others perceive him. Are you sure you are cut out for this sub-forum?
Obviously he is self concious. Why would he come to the conclusion that the kids see him as a pervert? Where did that come from?

I think I am on the money myself. He perceives himself to be a pervert and as such he believes the kids were thinking that as well. The fact he was considering asking one of the kids "for a show" is further evidence in my opinion.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:46 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Obviously he is self concious. Why would he come to the conclusion that the kids see him as a pervert? Where did that come from?

I think I am on the money myself. He perceives himself to be a pervert and as such he believes the kids were thinking that as well. The fact he was considering asking one of the kids "for a show" is further evidence in my opinion.
Because that is what self-conscious socially awkward people do. They are concerned with what others think of them and how others perceived them. Whether it be being worried that someone might think they are creepy or perverted or anything else according to the specific situation. This does not automatically mean that they are what they believe what others perceive them to be however. That is way to simplistic an assumption.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:50 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Because that is what self-conscious socially awkward people do. They are concerned with what others think of them and how others perceived them. Whether it be being worried that someone might think they are creepy or perverted or anything else according to the specific situation. This does not automatically mean that they are what they believe what others perceive them to be however. That is way to simplistic an assumption.
Correct.

Instead of just walking past and minding his own business, the OP becomes incredibly SELF-conscious and presumes that these preteens are making all these judgments about HIM, when they probably are just waiting for him to pass so they can go back to what they were doing.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:00 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,099,416 times
OP, the kids were bored and socially awkward. The girls wanted you to say something goofy like 'Put on a show' so they could giggle endlessly about the ancient creepy pervert.

The way to deal with awkward teenagers to to delineate that you are a formal, full fledged adult and that they are kids. The way to do that is to address the girls as "Miss" (or a boy as "Young Man")

Practice these lines to get the hang of it:

"Here you go, Miss. Your hula hoop roiled in font of me"

"Great evening to be out. How are you young men doing?"

"You two young ladies have a great evening !"

The formal form of address will make the age and social station distinction clear. You will then fall into their mental category as a teacher, physician, clergyman, or law enforcement, i.e. An adult to be respected and not messed with.

One of them may even giggle and ask you why you called her "Miss"

Answer: "Because that is the correct way for an adult to address a young lady"

Old 09-28-2015, 03:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Obviously I was referring to the original poster. I was using the term "you" to apply this to any individual.
That is not as obvious as you think it is, when you put it under a quote of my post. You started off your last two posts with the word "Obviously", you might want to rethink your assumptions.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:51 PM

36 posts, read 42,105 times
I'm afraid to even do this anymore; men are demonized these days, even looking in the direction of a girl makes you a horrible perv. I already walk around enough trying to avoid people, now I feel like I need to walk in a glass cylinder always looking forward expressionless.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:09 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVq37rPu4jU

I'd have had this song ringing in my head....

Seriously, you are way to self conscious of seemingly how others perceive you in this instance. Simply go about your way, and get your errands done. Not much to do about it other than a simple acknowledgement like a smile and nod and move along. If you see them often and they always act like this, perhaps they're practicing their psychological 'bullying' technique?

If you want to engage them, do something like challenging them in a playful hoop toss over a post or pole. If you make an effort to be fun perhaps they wouldn't seem to act that way toward you?

Or maybe they are just Utah's "children of the corn"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology