Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 01:14 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,583,484 times

Advertisements

Such as in Japan? You look at Japan and while it does have its problems for the vast majority of the country it's pretty much one language, one race, one culture etc. etc. and everything from the crime rate to ethnic issues are pretty non existent. Is such a level of what Japan has even possible in a non-homogenous/multi ethnic society even possible? You look the world over and most conflicts seem to be due to being so many different cultures/races etc. all living close together and it seems to invariably cause nothing but trouble and conflict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 07:58 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,814,898 times
Maybe... if people learned to mind their own business and live and let live. Many of the problems we (Americans) are facing now, is because people can't mind their own business and feel everyone should conform to whatever standards and values THEY have. Personally I think as long as someone isn't causing anyone mental, emotional or physical harm to another being, they should do as they please and we should leave them alone. Seems pretty simple to me, but in this day of "everybody's offended" and everyone thinks their rights trump everyone else's rights, it probably won't ever happen.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,345,104 times
Canada has two languages, two or more founding cultures and in larger cities very non homogeneous in race. Our crime rate is relatively low and dropping. Social economic issues may cause more problems than race or language and that may account for much of the downside in regards to the First Nations people. Our last riots were because the Canucks lost game 7 or was it the Habs won or lost? We are not a poor country and I feel safe so I guess the answer is yes.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Canada has two languages, two or more founding cultures and in larger cities very non homogeneous in race. Our crime rate is relatively low and dropping. Social economic issues may cause more problems than race or language and that may account for much of the downside in regards to the First Nations people. Our last riots were because the Canucks lost game 7 or was it the Habs won or lost? We are not a poor country and I feel safe so I guess the answer is yes.
Do you feel politics are very divided in Canada? Like two extremes fighting or is everyone mostly center, but a little left or a little right???

Old 03-27-2015, 09:06 PM

15,608 posts, read 15,740,822 times
Sure, America did it for decades.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,779,755 times
The best example given of a non homogenous country that was successful was Malaysia. There are ethnic Chinese, East Indians, and majority Malay. All went well between the different cultures. For awhile that is. Then something came up as always happens and it could have been something political or a difference in the educational system or an infinite number of other things but the point is Malaysia fractured along racial lines but the point is multi-cultural countries don't last in peaceful co-existence for very long. In the future the homogenous countries will be the most successful as the multicultural countries struggle with all their national energy just to keep their country one whole without splitting up. Want an example of a multi-cultural country that doesn't work. USA is a good example. We have a embittered and aggressive black population with a historic ax to grind against whites and we have whites who have been fairly passive these past 40 or 50 years starting to get sick of running from their neighborhoods(ethnic cleansing) in fear of crime and the ghetto lifestyle that most whites refuse to live under. Then their is a large Hispanic population that doesn't particularly like whites but is at a low key race war with blacks in the inner cities of America. Then there are all the orientals that blacks seem to have a special dislike of and those orientals with their own special prejudices. And then mix in all the other ethnic groups form all over the world each with their own prejudices that may be religious, race, something to do with culture or many other things that groups might not like about each other. Add to that the misunderstandings between people as we try to understand each other. Misunderstandings came come from the inability to translate what some immigrant means by a certain act or language or many other things. The result of this huge mixture of different people is that we are living in society that can be likened to a bad case of social indigestion. But many of us don't know anything different because this is what we grew up in. But if we could experience living amongst are racial kind in our own community with our own schools etc. we would feel a whole different experience in living. Life would be simpler and more relaxed and communities would be more united.

Last edited by nickerman; 03-28-2015 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 12:42 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,031,941 times
^^ Some things correct......others just down right wrong or misguided.

Quote:
Sure, America did it for decades.
And which decades would those be?

Old 03-29-2015, 09:13 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,345,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Do you feel politics are very divided in Canada? Like two extremes fighting or is everyone mostly center, but a little left or a little right???
There are 5 political parties in the House of Commons and 5 parties run in the provincial election and no parties at the municipal level. Obama would be a conservative in Canada but could either be in the Liberal or Conservative parties as there is overlap. I feel we are at all most divided in my memory due to the current Prime Minister but not necessarily the whole party. I don't think we identify as much with a party as in the US and it is the government not a party that signs you up to vote so zero politics in that. Many people shift over time how they vote, myself I went left mostly because the party I voted for went to the right. Four of the five parties are to the left of most Democrats in my opinion.

Having more than two parties means we see many issues based on the issues more than the party, one opposition party may side with the government on one issue and the other parties on the next issue. There are of course too many people who are party loyal and support their party no matter what and others who vote due to events that happened decades ago.

I can only guess how my friends and family vote. There is an anti French sentiment with many of the older generation due to an anti English one in the 60 and 70 s. I think that has passed at least for those younger than myself. Canada is far from perfect but we are a multicultural and bilingual country that is safe and prosperous which was the original question. We do not have a large black population and many of our blacks are newer immigrants so that history is not there and we did not have slavery.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
There are 5 political parties in the House of Commons and 5 parties run in the provincial election and no parties at the municipal level. Obama would be a conservative in Canada but could either be in the Liberal or Conservative parties as there is overlap. I feel we are at all most divided in my memory due to the current Prime Minister but not necessarily the whole party. I don't think we identify as much with a party as in the US and it is the government not a party that signs you up to vote so zero politics in that. Many people shift over time how they vote, myself I went left mostly because the party I voted for went to the right. Four of the five parties are to the left of most Democrats in my opinion.

Having more than two parties means we see many issues based on the issues more than the party, one opposition party may side with the government on one issue and the other parties on the next issue. There are of course too many people who are party loyal and support their party no matter what and others who vote due to events that happened decades ago.

I can only guess how my friends and family vote. There is an anti French sentiment with many of the older generation due to an anti English one in the 60 and 70 s. I think that has passed at least for those younger than myself. Canada is far from perfect but we are a multicultural and bilingual country that is safe and prosperous which was the original question. We do not have a large black population and many of our blacks are newer immigrants so that history is not there and we did not have slavery.
Thanks for the response!

Old 03-29-2015, 01:09 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,469,643 times
why is this in Psychology? It maybe belongs in great debates, but not here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology