Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:55 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,914,444 times

Advertisements

I'm laughing at these posts!
I just remembered another one after someone mentioned Pinocchio. There was that tall wolf named "Honest John" who I thought was terribly scary (he was the one seducing Pinocchio into street life). I had nightmares about that guy. He sung about being an actor and "the actor's life." So I remember when I heard about an actor or actors, I thought they were evil scary wolf people. I was probably around 3, and I remember trying to reconcile the nice good looking guests on Mike Douglas (who they said were "actors") with that horrifying wolf guy in Pinocchio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:16 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,954 times
Very cool thread!

Don't smoke, it will stunt your growth. I thought, how come my dad and the guys are all smoking and their all big?

Speaking of cool, That's cool? it's cool? can I have a cool? what's up with everything being so cold?

Eat your Maypo (oatmeal cereal), it gives you muscles.
Eat your wonder bread, it help's build your body.
Eat your carrots, it helps your eyes. lol.
I had it everyday in the 1st grade, and still wore glasses, waiting for my muscles. lol.

Stay away from strangers, strangers are the boogieman, we had a new kid in my 1st grade class, my dad said, that's different, he's a new kid and not a stranger?

My brother said, don't stay up all night watching TV and the late, late show, if he wakes up, I'll go blind in one eye.

Some good times..

Old 04-06-2015, 09:25 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,914,444 times
I just encountered one this weekend, but it doesn't belong to me, but to my nieces. There was something on TV about commandos attacking somewhere, and they giggled, thinking it was about soldiers who didn't wear underwear attacking somewhere. They've heard the word "commando" but only in the context of "going commando" which they learned from their older brother, in reference to wearing pants but no underwear. They had no idea about the original word. I guess they can post about this in about 20 years.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:04 AM

6,477 posts, read 6,686,976 times
This one is about my son, not me.

When he was around 6, Mike's Hard Lemonade had a series of very cool, very funny commercials. Our family loved those commercials.

One day he was with me at the grocery, and he kept pestering me to let him get some Mike's Hard Lemonade. I was certain I could feel other mothers glaring at me for having a child requesting booze at the grocery. He kept on asking, and he was quite sad that I wouldn't buy any of this really cool kind of lemonade for him.

It wasn't until later that he realized I wouldn't buy it because it was ALCOHOL, and that I realized he did not know that!! I remember his lightbulb going off, and he said, "Ohhhhh, HARD lemonade, as opposed to SOFT drinks!" And that was actually the first time I had thought about why cokes, etc, are called SOFT drinks.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:57 AM

477 posts, read 509,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
I was told a watermelon would grow in your belly if you ate the seeds.
With us it was apples. And we girls thought that eating green apples would make little girls bleed to death (eg, menstruation).

Old 04-06-2015, 11:15 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,645,646 times
My grandmother told me that drinking coffee would make you black;
if you touched a boy's penis, you would definitely become pregnant;
if you dyed your hair red, it was a signal to men that you were a prostitute

Old 04-06-2015, 11:37 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,827,105 times
My dad used to say...ITS GOOD FOR YOU it will put HAIR ON YOUR CHEST...sine I ate practically anything THAT was a little scary....glad it's not true....

Old 04-06-2015, 11:41 AM

29,753 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
That, and it almost goes without mentioning that there was a treasure chest to be found if I went deep enough. I kept trying both until my dad got worried about the garden.
When I was going through my dinosaur phase I was always disappointed when I could never unearth a triceratops or other fossils by digging a 8-inch-deep hole in the woods.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:20 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,100,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
My grandmother told me that drinking coffee would make you black;
if you touched a boy's penis, you would definitely become pregnant;
if you dyed your hair red, it was a signal to men that you were a prostitute
My mom thought the same of women who painted their toenails red. I wonder how they came up with these things. Is that what their mom told them?

Old 04-06-2015, 01:23 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,174,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When I was going through my dinosaur phase I was always disappointed when I could never unearth a triceratops or other fossils by digging a 8-inch-deep hole in the woods.
Oh, I went through a fossil phase in later childhood too ...... I got a kid's geology kit for my birthday, and would go out using the little geologist pick to chip pieces off of rocks, hoping to find a trilobite in them (I figured that with my bad luck I'd never get anything as cool as a t. rex). No anything (I lived in the Northeast) but I did get a lot of little cuts from the chips flying off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology