Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:09 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

I don't see how watching a tv show is "living" in anything. It sounds like people just wanting to dictate what others should be thinking and doing and also a sense of superiority. There is such a level of narcissism and lack of empathy in some people they just can't handle anyone having different standards or tastes. I had this friend who was offended by antiques, I love them and she kept getting angry and insulting about it, so not a friend anymore.

This punk at work said people who are into antique cars are just living in the past. LOL, has he seen the prices and people getting rich off those old relics. Seen Barrett Jackson? Jealous much...

Older people who are offended by the tv shows and things from their own past are probably insecure about their aging. Those who can deal with nostalgia are more laid back and realistic about their aging. Some people feel OLD if they don't keep up with every silly trend, and think everyone else should be that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 06:04 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
So we have TV police, now?

What I find even harder to believe is that a break room full of people allowed that hen to change the channel. Yeesh.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:08 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
If you watch them all day, every day and nothing else, maybe you do have an issue about living in the past. Intermittingly, it's just entertainment.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:59 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,757,013 times
Its up to your own personality what you want to watch.. I love old movies as it reminds me of the happiest times of my life when I was young... theres no harm in it.. sometimes living in the today isnt all that good...people should mind their own business... Im a home bird, always have been.. not into parties or doing things in crowds.... but my cousin was different and thought I was strange not to want the same as her...she used to tell me to get a life.. hers was getting obliterated every weekend with booze..while I could watch old movies and tv shows all the time and not get bored..and Im still the same..I tried for a long time to be in with the "IN" crowd as they used to say but it just wasnt me ...

Old 05-02-2015, 07:08 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
We could totally threadjack this by listing our favorites, like Bonanza, ST:TOS, Lost In Space, The Outer Limits, Father Knows Best, and so on.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:42 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
meTV has been showing Quincy M.E. which I've rediscovered recently.

It's refreshing to see a "moral to the story". It's also refreshing to see a manly character
wearing rainbow suspenders without being thought of as "gay". How much has changed since 1980.
I enjoy old shows not out of nostalgia, but because I find them superior. I like everything about them
more. The acting, the music, the manner of direction, literally EVERYTHING I like about them more
than the junk on tv today.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:52 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times
I think that people can fall into ruts and can't break out of them. I knew someone who only watched very old movies and TV shows and wouldn't try anything else. It is a shame because there is some great stuff on television these days regardless of what some say on this thread. Just finished watching the latest Game of Thrones and have to catch up on Outlander!

On the other hand, I'm never one to criticize or change channels. Perhaps if someone watched Honey Boo Boo shows back to back and I was forced to be in the same room for hours, I would say something. Otherwise I keep my mouth shut. I enjoy some of the older shows but growing up without TV due to no electricity, they aren't a staple of my life. My husband always teases me because I missed so many of the popular 60s TV shows. Many popular references go over my head, lol. I find some of the old shows a bit painful to watch with the canned laugh tracks and stilted acting.

The first TV show I really watched was in my 20s. The Andy Griffith show. Never saw the classics I guess.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:01 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times
I'll admit when I'm stressed I'll watch cartoons/movies and play video games from the 90s remembering a simpler time....

Old 05-09-2015, 04:05 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
It's fun to think about how much times have changed when you watch an old show. Today I watched The Fresh Prince of Bellaire from like 1990 and plot was about impotence. Not a problem today with our little blue pills!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:29 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times
I watch the 90s The Simpsons episodes. So nostalgic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology