Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 10:12 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,345,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I don't think it originally did.
It didn't, when I read the original title and post; she since corrected her generalization.

@anyrate, I have not personally witness ugly shaming towards a woman, OP, but I'm sure it happens, and we all know why some men/women (especially adolescences) do it; inmaturity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 10:12 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
I am asking why do some men do this? Should I have worded it differently? What are your suggestions?

Yes, the next time someone says something like that to you ask them if they were born ignorant or grew into it.

Ask them if they have looked in the mirror recently.

Ask them to give you a specific detailed explaination as to why they asked you that particular question.
Then wait for them to answer. If they don't answer then, every time you see them ask them again to give you the explaination. Even in front of co workers so they can explain what the reason is.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:13 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
"why do people do this"

In any case, the answer is the same. Because they're insecure in themselves.
Next time, I will be very careful in how I word these threads. I was not intending to bash men. I was trying to explain certain situations, and they happened to be male. I thought men would be able to provide insight as to why other men might behave this way. I suppose this thread came across very poorly.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:16 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
It didn't, when I read the original title and post; she since corrected her generalization.

@anyrate, I have not personally witness ugly shaming towards a woman, OP, but I'm sure it happens, and we all know why some men/women (especially adolescences) do it; inmaturity.
I have not modified the title, since I created it.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:51 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Next time, I will be very careful in how I word these threads. I was not intending to bash men. I was trying to explain certain situations, and they happened to be male. I thought men would be able to provide insight as to why other men might behave this way. I suppose this thread came across very poorly.
Being you're a newer poster without a history it's hard to gauge if you are man bashing or not. There are a lot of troll type threads that get started here and this section of CD has a tendency to get nasty at times, here and the Politics and Other Controversies forum subsections can get heated at times too.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Why did you just generalize some based on a few douchebags you've met?

Old 04-19-2015, 11:29 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
I'm sure you weren't intending on bashing men, some men did provide an insight, in saying that people of both genders do it.

negging on the other hand, that's another conversation and that is what men, who have no idea with women resort to.

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 04-19-2015 at 11:44 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 08:13 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I think there are 2 cases where men do such things. In the first case, it can be done in a flirtatious manner if done in a smiling friendly manner. The second case is just downright mean and creates friction in the workplace...usually this is a power thing caused by insecurities.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:28 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,160 times
Any guy who feels he needs to put a woman down right away for any reason simply means, he's not tall enough..

To stand behind her or beside her.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,669 times
Quote:
Why do SOME men feel the need to put a woman down right away? I was told this is how some insecure men bring a woman down to his level, so she will feel sorry for herself. But why? What good will it do?
They do it for the same reason the men are attacking you here for posting about it. They are insecure and don't really like women as people in the first place. The men coming after you here for your post are the same ones that would try to bring you down in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology