Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:59 PM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times

Advertisements

you have just admitted to having concerns about people you have never met .. your problems are self inflicted ...

Old 09-22-2015, 06:04 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
you have just admitted to having concerns about people you have never met .. your problems are self inflicted ...

They certainly are and that is why I'm working hard to overcome them

Old 09-22-2015, 06:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
????????? Yeah Ok then Thanks for your opinion about the South then moving on.
As usual you missed the point completely......

Old 09-22-2015, 06:34 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
Quote:
I may be moving to the South as my SO is in the Air Force although totally unsure of what part yet. My SO is very excited as he has lived in the GA, SC, Saint Louis, NC and likes it. I have only lived in MA and NH so I have only visited the south. I'm worried that it may be full of church going people that just aren't my type of people. My SO just keeps talking about lower cost of living, but, I feel like that isn't the only thing to a good life so I'm concerned. Do I have some sort of phobia going on here???? I posted in another forum and seriously that did nothing, but, make me even more concerned
Okay.... I didn't read through the entire thread, so sorry if I'm repeating but..... I am from the south. Born in Oklahoma, raised in Texas, now living in the Southwest, Arizona. I am very liberal. I won't lie, it is hard to be open with your opinions here, because the majority of the people are very conservative, BUT they are generally nice, friendly people and if you aren't outspoken about certain things (like I can be) you won't have any problem meeting people and making friends. A lot will depend on where you live. Rural areas will have the very conservative, church going folks, while urban areas will be more diverse and purple, even liberal (Austin for example). You will also be on/near a military base which will have a wide variety of people who have been transplanted in just like you. I think given your situation, you should come experience the south. You can always go back if you don't like it, but at least you'll know from first-hand experience and not media hearsay.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:11 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
you move to a city you meet people who are accustom to city lifestyles,
you move to the country, you meet people who are accustom to the country lifestyle.
you move out in the woods or open lands, you meet people who are accustom to the lifestyles they create there.

Bigotry exist in all places, the more rural the more likely one may encounter some levels of bigotry. You move to a single ethnicity area, the more you are likely to meet people who promote a single ethnicity mentality and develop unfounded biases against others entering into the community space.

One has to deal with what they are within and be the person they are in their living, if they embrace diversity, they will seek out places that offer engagements of diversity.
Those who push away diversity, often becomes frightened by diversity, because they have pushed it away and found want to justify in themselves pushing it away. "they build lots of assumptions", and avoid facts, because they have not engaged "diversity" to wash away their assumptions. Often people with such assumption, try and make them true even when they encounter others who show them it is not true, They'd rather call the person an exception, rather than let go of the assumptions they have planted in their mind about other "groups of people".

Last edited by Chance and Change; 09-22-2015 at 07:22 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 07:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
typical north easterner attitude. Don't sweat it. you'll get over it.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:32 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
I may be moving to the South as my SO is in the Air Force although totally unsure of what part yet. My SO is very excited as he has lived in the GA, SC, Saint Louis, NC and likes it. I have only lived in MA and NH so I have only visited the south. I'm worried that it may be full of church going people that just aren't my type of people. My SO just keeps talking about lower cost of living, but, I feel like that isn't the only thing to a good life so I'm concerned. Do I have some sort of phobia going on here???? I posted in another forum and seriously that did nothing, but, make me even more concerned
Its hot.....very hot. That's what I'd worry about.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:41 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
I would be celebrating an opportunity to leave New England for life in the South!

New England... the most racially segregated area of the US, always lecturing the South, the most racially segregated area of the US, about racism.

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 09-22-2015 at 09:39 PM..

Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
I have live all my life in the south except a stint in detroit. tn, s.c. al. ms. tx. The south is no different that any place else but a little slower pace. The bible belt, dont really bother people. The food is no different than anyplace else. the education, medical is no different. Just remember its warm all year round, it rains every day in the summer at 2 pm.

college football is big, nascar is popular, everybody deer hunts, seafood and deepsea fishing is big, and i haven't seen snow in 44 years

Old 09-22-2015, 09:41 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,832,373 times
I think it really depends on where you live. The more rural the area, the smaller the town, the more likely you are to encounter the culture of the deep south. Now if you live in a large city, in an area where professionals live, you most likely won't have any problems.

I lived in NC for 15 years, and I miss it terribly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology