Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 05:10 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,046,832 times

Advertisements

I've noticed in my own family and some friends that some of them Care More about their Pets than they do their family members, friends etc.

I'm thinking this is called the "humanization of animals."

While i love my Dog, i don't think i would choose his well-being over my mother or other important people in my life.So why do some people care more about their Pets than People?
  • Is this a sickness or dis-order?
  • Can it be characterized or Labeled?
Thanks for your input!

~B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 05:29 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,816,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
I've noticed in my own family and some friends that some of them Care More about their Pets than they do their family members, friends etc.

I'm thinking this is called the "humanization of animals."

While i love my Dog, i don't think i would choose his well-being over my mother or other important people in my life.So why do some people care more about their Pets than People?
  • Is this a sickness or dis-order?
  • Can it be characterized or Labeled?
Thanks for your input!

~B
I think most people feel this way. I also love my dog, but would place the well being of my immediate family over his if I ever had to make such a choice. However, my dog's well being would trump that of strangers or casual aquaintances. We all love those we know well more than those we do not. It has more to do with who is part of our day to day life than valuing animals more than people.

I also would like to know how you are determining that some of your family feel as you claim. Are they feeding their dog in lieu of feeding the humans in their household? Is the dog sleeping in a bed while a human is curled up on the floor? Or is it more a case of you thinking they are more focused on their pets than you are comfortable with? If it's the latter, you may be judging based on your preferences and not respecting theirs. It's also possible that some feel more love and support from their pets than their family and are returning it in kind.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:14 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,046,832 times
thanks unc,

no, i'm referring to people in general who give their dogs and pets more attention than their children. There are some people like this---and i believe there is a term for it---but can't recall what it is.

ALSO, you have the PETA people who give the impression that "animals are above Humans" on the totem pole of life.

I've seen cases where friends (i guess they became dis-inchanted with people) put their dogs above their friends.

Weird ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
...It's also possible that some feel more love and support from their pets than their family and are returning it in kind.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:20 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,689,772 times
Yeah I know the type. A bunch of them on here ive seen. Even animals that arent their pets they care more about. Heck ive even read stories of such people people killing their families in a car wreck because they swerved to avoid hitting a skunk or some such.

Old 10-15-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
thanks unc,

no, i'm referring to people in general who give their dogs and pets more attention than their children. There are some people like this---and i believe there is a term for it---but can't recall what it is.

ALSO, you have the PETA people who give the impression that "animals are above Humans" on the totem pole of life.

I've seen cases where friends (i guess they became dis-inchanted with people) put their dogs above their friends.

Weird ?
I can't imagine someone who gives their pets more attention than they do their minor children. I can however imagine someone giving a pet more attention than a grown child if the grown child has a small presence in their life. I have a neighbor whose kids visit, at most, every few years. Her dog is there with love, support and companionship every single day. In this case, if her kids complained about her favoring the dog on one of their rare visits, I'd side with the dog.

PETA is laughable. Their shelters put to sleep 99% of the animals they take in. They are NOT interested in caring for animals unless it furthers their cause or ups their profile.

In the case of friends who put their dogs above their friends..... dogs are family and friends are friends. I don't get why anyone would be insulted if, for example, I canceled an evening out with a friend because my dog was ill. My dog is my responsibility for the rest of his (or my) life and I take that responsibility seriously. Anyone who doesn't, IMO, shouldn't have a dog. Just like those who don't take parenting a child seriously shouldn't have kids. Both are dependent and need our care and best efforts. Of course, if one of my kids and my dog was ill, there's no question who would take precedence!

Old 10-15-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Yeah I know the type. A bunch of them on here ive seen. Even animals that arent their pets they care more about. Heck ive even read stories of such people people killing their families in a car wreck because they swerved to avoid hitting a skunk or some such.
This sounds like an extreme and I doubt many feel this way. Most people would protect their family first, their own dog second and all other people/animals third. It's human nature to protect what we love and most people love their own dog more than a stranger or some other animal. Thankfully, few will ever be placed in a position to have to choose.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,595 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Quote:
thanks unc,

Weird ?
It's called loneliness, especially For those without children. Those that I know are rather anti-social people with very few friends, and are not interested in human interaction, so they treat their pets like friends/family. Typically they will have a shrine in their home for a deceased dog, which people rarely do for their human relatives that have passed. I consider it a personality disorder when it gets to the extreme that someone chooses to buy their home based on the suitability of the yard for their 8 year old dog, when the lifespan may only be 10-12 years.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:24 AM

94 posts, read 78,387 times
Balkins,

People like to control other people and things, it gives them a feeling of power
That's why they clip parrots wings and put them in cages, making them go insane and wild-eyed after a time ("Oh isn't he cute/eccentric"?)

Humans are given so-called "individual rights" after they reach adulthood
So after that point is reached it is no longer fun or easy for one person to control another
But pets have no rights except that it is considered socially-unacceptable for someone to abuse or neglect the animals

Because people have no control over things outside their own homes they like to turn their households into a miniature universe where they get to play as God and can make the rules

Kind of like the people who own elaborate train sets -- the deeper you go into it the more special it is to the individual
Some people own pedigree pets and showcase them at pet events, and have elaborate rituals/cleaning around their pets

Probably the most god-like (god-like in a nonbiblical sense) in terms of power is when people "owned" servants and slaves, before the country evolved to account for the children and grandchildren of slaves/servants

Old 10-15-2015, 08:49 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,608,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It's called loneliness, especially For those without children. Those that I know are rather anti-social people with very few friends, and are not interested in human interaction, so they treat their pets like friends/family. Typically they will have a shrine in their home for a deceased dog, which people rarely do for their human relatives that have passed. I consider it a personality disorder when it gets to the extreme that someone chooses to buy their home based on the suitability of the yard for their 8 year old dog, when the lifespan may only be 10-12 years.
I think it is a very good idea to consider the suitability of a potential home purchase for the family pet(s). It should not, of course, be the only factor involved in the choice of a home purchase. When I went through the long and fairly arduous process of selling/buying this year, suitability for my dog was a high priority, but not the only priority.

I have "shrines", i.e. pictures and memorabilia, to some of my dogs who have passed away, and of course to my relatives, and a good friend who died too soon. I don't see anything wrong with doing so.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:59 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,767,922 times
I think most people, even those who are deeply involved in animal rescue, would (and should) put their family first.

However, pets do need care (food, medical care and shelter). If people are unwilling or unable to provide those for the pet then they need to give it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology