Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:29 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

Nightbird, I totally agree about the bias against introverts, especially in the mental health world. I've been a mental health professional for years, and I've encountered it all the time. (I think I've even posted about it here before, and you were included). For my introvert/loner clients I would assign a lot more homework that involved journaling, self-examination, experiencing/practicing something alone. The extroverts might have benefited from group exercises, and homework like role-playing and doing things with other people. Too many therapists I knew wanted to apply what helps extroverts to introvert clients. I used to argue in clinical team meetings about whether someone's tendency to spend time alone was pathological and a sign of depression, or just a normal introvert trying to recharge.

You might actually end up liking facebook, if you use it like I do and not how the extros do. I actually find it useful as a place to "store" the relationships with people who I really don't want to chit-chat and "catch up" with on the phone or in person. Instead, I can cover all that with a few brief messages back and forth with them on facebook and not worry about having to screen my phone calls. I've found social media as a nice way to put boundaries around those acquaintance relationships that I used to sometimes find intrusive. Plus, I've also found that a few people from my past are like me and might enjoy a deeper conversation about an important topic rather that all the bs that goes into day-to-day chit chat conversations. I don't post every day, and I don't constantly post pictures of myself. But I might jump in to a meaningful conversation or just communicate with someone one-on-one. Plus, when people see me from time to time on facebook, they nag a lot less about never seeing me or why I never want to go out, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 03:41 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,187 times
I'm an introvert and my idea of a perfect life is eating as much bacon and drinking as much beer as I could ever want without gaining a single pound.

Seriously though, I'm an introvert that's pretty close to the middle of the spectrum so I prefer having social time and time to myself. My idea of a perfect Friday night is hanging out with good friends or being at home watching movies with my wife. I like video games too but she doesn't.

I'm a bit more extroverted at work and enjoy working with others to a degree, but mostly other people who I know and have worked well with before.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:45 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Slightly edited this is me.

I'd love my son to call once in a while. He's married and working but no, I'm not going to only communicate via facebook.

I'd like a car so when I want to get out I can and come home when I'm ready.

My wish would be a nice run for my indoor cats where they are safe. Tacked on at the end of the list of things to do with the house.

Would love a place online where those of us who do fanfiction and other writing can read and share and help improve each other.

But more inside....

I'm highly introspective. I'm so happy now that nobody is telling me I have to go meet strangers.

I avoid groups except a few who share a lot with me since they are too draining.

When I go out, I can't wait to just go home and sit in my favorite chair with the furries on my lap.

I like talking on the phone to old friends, and can do it for hours or when the phone runs out of juice.

I generally think first before speaking and see it as something I'm putting in a manuscript so the words have to be right.

Hate, despise chitchat

Love to lose myself in intellectual mode and particulary in history.

Best moment is when your writing a story and the pieces just all come together and you can't seem to type them fast enough.

I like walking around places as a stranger over 'socializing' with people you kinda know.

Animals are far better companions than most people.

Love to read, love to write but can't do both at the same time.

Am glad I had a 'life' and my son, but also relieved he's grown up and living his own life. Thanks to dad want nothing to do with another 'relationship'. But might let someone in if it was one of those where both knew how to grant space to the other when needed.

Right now I'm perfectly happy in my life with the chance to get back to the stuff there was never enough time for before.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:51 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,017 times
Wordsmith12. Your my kind of people. I have raised 3 children into adults,been married twice,divorced once,widowed once. Worked for years now retired. Very quiet life and do what I want when I want. First time in my life I have been by myself and that was in 2010 when my husband passed. Not looking to date,or to remarry. Have traveled, spent time doing for my grandchildren, and taken in stray animals. Love my life.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:02 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,973 times
People call me the quiet one. The world needs its introverts. Someone once told me that introverted people are selfish and self centered and you should try to be out going to avoid being so. That isn't true at all. I'm a very good friend to have, can keep a secret better than anybody, more honest than most and treat people the way I want to be treated.

My husband is my closest and best friend and I have not had a close best girl friend since high school. I find it hard to be close friends with other women because most women want to verbally share everything and want you to do the same. I have friends, but for any one of them their very best friend is someone other than me. I'm OK with this. They need another women to share the details and problems with their sex life, their financial burdens and talk about why their husband is an azzhat. I don't think someone is a bad person for this, I just think their needs are different. I'm not comfortable discussing my intimate life, my finances are a need to know basis and I don't like to talk bad about my husband.

A perfect life would be one where they find a cure for autism, so my son would no longer be autistic.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:18 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,100,004 times
As for the discussion about prejudices against us in popular culture, here are a few phrases that have come to me as 'positives':

Self-Contained

Self-Motivated

Low Maintenance

Live and Let Live (philosophy towards others)

Rational Thinker

Nature Lover

Compassionate in A Measured, Impersonal Way

Loves to Ponder Great Questions

Not Prone to Hysteria

Stoic

(And my personal favorite): Easily Amused
(I can watch birds or bugs all day and enjoy it)

Old 10-27-2015, 04:30 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
I'm curious how many introverts would consider themselves to have 'inattentive' type ADD? I know I certainly do.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:55 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
"Introvert" is a condescending label that a majority group force upon the minority.

This minority group is actually the intellectuals, while the majority is, ugh, non-intellectuals.

Why must this minority group keep apologyzing for not feeling excited being around the "others" 24x7 talking and thinking about nonsense?

To the point many are led to believe they have a disorder and need to take mind altering drug in order to function among the "others." That is sad.
I don't think it's a condescending label.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:33 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I identify with a lot of what you said. However, I want to be married and have kids. Yeah, I know it can be draining, but I hate living life alone, as I have for the past 7 years. I may not be as introverted as you, although most of what you said did resonate. I can't spend 24/7 alone. Thats just too much for me. We're not meant to go through life alone, which is why for me, being alone all the time just sucks.

So my perfect life involves having a wife and at least one child, but not a house full of kids. I would like to have a nice house again, though not huge, and maybe a pet. I have a cat now, thankfully. She's the only thing that kept me going after my divorce.
Been married, had kids, now divorced and kids gone.

It's not the Happy Ever After it used to be, sadly.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:34 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
People call me the quiet one. The world needs its introverts. Someone once told me that introverted people are selfish and self centered and you should try to be out going to avoid being so. That isn't true at all. I'm a very good friend to have, can keep a secret better than anybody, more honest than most and treat people the way I want to be treated.

My husband is my closest and best friend and I have not had a close best girl friend since high school. I find it hard to be close friends with other women because most women want to verbally share everything and want you to do the same. I have friends, but for any one of them their very best friend is someone other than me. I'm OK with this. They need another women to share the details and problems with their sex life, their financial burdens and talk about why their husband is an azzhat. I don't think someone is a bad person for this, I just think their needs are different. I'm not comfortable discussing my intimate life, my finances are a need to know basis and I don't like to talk bad about my husband.

A perfect life would be one where they find a cure for autism, so my son would no longer be autistic.
An introverted Real Estate Agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology