Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:37 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,789,168 times

Advertisements

Or at least that's how I see it in my head. I am a really nice person but I have a hard time being assertive and standing up for myself. I often apologize to avoid conflict even if it's not really my fault. I let guilt overtake me. I think I'm afraid of people who are confident and assertive. I stammer and stutter when I speak because I don't trust my own thoughts.

When I had to ask my classmates what were their favorite things about working with me, most people said I'm really nice. I don't know but that sounds more like an insult... I want to win people with my skills and talent... not by how nice I am. I mean, I have always seen being nice to be important (and the funny thing is, I don't see other people who are really nice to be spineless. They feel comforting to me because I don't come across many people who are really nice.)

When I was in middle school I was really shy and people would only talk to me to borrow a pen or get a piece of paper. They would tell me how nice I was and I thought that was the only way people would speak to me and at least I was getting some attention. I also had a friend who I let bully me for 15 years. She always had to be the "queen" and I was like her Robin.

But when I was at home, my family called me mean. They said when I was 4 I was really mean to my older brother. My family didn't seem to like me very much when I was growing up. My brother would call me a b****. I think this combined with how I was treated at school made me feel I had to be really nice to survive.

But, well, I'm an adult now, and while I think being really nice is a good thing, I'm tired of being taken advantage of and not even trusting myself or feeling confident about what I think. I can't seem to speak the truth. Most times I'm not even sure what the truth is anymore. I have let people abuse me emotionally too many times without even letting it cross my mind that I was being bullied. I think I have put up with too much.

It's just a lot to work on and I don't even know where to start. It's pretty much been my entire life. I know I have a sassy side and it comes out when I'm feeling confident but I haven't felt too confident for a long time. I wish I could be the same person when I'm alone in my room and when I'm around confident people and shy people. I have more compassion for shy people.

My only saving grace are my looks. I put in time and effort to be attractive and look social but I'm not. I have good posture and try to act confident but I'm not. I can attract new people and make friends but I often have a hard time keeping them, especially once they find out how spineless I am. This is probably a turn off to guys too.

A lot of it is my culture. My family and I try to avoid conflict, try to get along with everybody, and do what's right. I learned to not be so selfish and think of others. I don't mind these good qualities but not if it's causing me grief. I was surprised when I realized how most people don't apologize and don't like to think they're wrong. I don't have a problem with admitting I'm wrong. I just want things to be peaceful. But if there was ever anything that needed to be compromised, I would usually be in the losing position.

I would like to work on this in group but I don't even know where to begin... or how to get used to being assertive... People tell me I'm too laid back. I need to fight but I hate fighting... Any way I can see this as something that my brain can process? My brain rejects fighting and conflict. As soon as I know I have to confront someone I want to flee... so it always comes out with me sounding like a wimp... I just want this to change... I think life would be very hard for me if I had to keep living like this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 08:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,096,938 times
Well, to be fair, if we go by the presumption that "weakness" means "lacking strength," this kind of behavior:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I have a hard time being assertive and standing up for myself.

I often apologize to avoid conflict even if it's not really my fault.

I let guilt overtake me.

I'm afraid of people who are confident and assertive.

I stammer and stutter when I speak because I don't trust my own thoughts.
... would fall under that definition.

It's all about avoidance, fear and insecurity, which aren't positions of strength.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:06 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,356,654 times
C'mon, GKelly, put your heart into being assertive. Be tough!
Once upon a time, I was in your position. Life's experiences taught me well - maybe a little too well. I went from passive to aggressive in a matter of a few years...maybe a little too aggressive of late, as I yelled at my boss...

Old 03-15-2016, 08:12 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,352,616 times
How to Build a Backbone in 3 Easy Steps

1. Do you resent someone in your life?
  2. Do you feel taken advantage of?
  3. Do you often complain but nothing changes?
  4. Do you keep all of your emotions in?
  5. Do you avoid conflict?
  6. Have you said yes when you meant no?
  7. Have you allowed your anger to build up and come out in other ways?
  8. Have you compromised self-care for others-care?
  9. If you answered yes to any of these questions, you could use a backbone adjustment!

How To Build A Backbone In 3 Easy Steps

Old 03-15-2016, 08:16 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,078,732 times
And too often "kindness" is taken as "weakness" and many will do all they can to take advantage of you until you/I are assertive.

I agree that being assertive is the answer.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Well, to be fair, if we go by the presumption that "weakness" means "lacking strength," this kind of behavior:

... would fall under that definition.

It's all about avoidance, fear and insecurity, which aren't positions of strength.
OK, thanks for pointing out the obvious. Now I'm going to go bang my head against the wall.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
OK, thanks for pointing out the obvious. Now I'm going to go bang my head against the wall.
How many times and ways do you need to ask the forum about your problem, GKelly???

You aren't happy, you don't think people understand "the real" you, and you're often irritable to your family members (which is actually your unhappiness manifesting itself, since you know cognitively that you can't let it show in public).

So ... do you understand the difference between the question you asked and the actual question posed in your thread?

Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
How many times and ways do you need to ask the forum about your problem, GKelly???

You aren't happy, you don't think people understand "the real" you, and you're often irritable to your family members (which is actually your unhappiness manifesting itself, since you know cognitively that you can't let it show in public).

So ... do you understand the difference between the question you asked and the actual question posed in your thread?
If you don't like it, then don't open my ****ing threads. You're of no help anyway and I'm tired of people like you trying to keep the only place where I'm free to anonymously express myself quiet.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 PM

Quote:
If you don't like it, then don't open my ****ing threads. You're of no help anyway and I'm tired of people like you trying to keep the only place where I'm free to anonymously express myself quiet.

See, you CAN assert yourself when you want to.

I'm not trying to keep you quiet. Just trying to help you see the actual point more quickly.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:01 AM

251 posts, read 204,684 times
None of the really nice people I know are spineless, although quite a few of the nasty ones are. Spineless people aren't nice. They don't have enough boundaries, they won't take risks; they're too anxious about getting hurt. One guy in particular I'm thinking of seems to have what I can only call "hypochondria of the soul." He's so inoffensive that he seems both ineffective and invisible. I don't know what the problem is that's so bad that this the solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology