Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 09:08 PM

529 posts, read 508,287 times

Advertisements

Isn't the customer is always right mentality an idea that has only come along in the 21st century? I honestly do not know, and have not taken the time to find out. However, I find the notion to be rather misguided. From a business sense, you want your customer to return. But that shouldn't mean the customer can demand things beyond the organization power does it? On the other hand, who better to dictate what is correct in a transaction then the customer? I suppose the reason I posted this in the psychology forum is because I am wondering if this mentality is a good way for us as consumers to approach businesses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:19 PM

48 posts, read 44,865 times
In the words of one of my former bosses, "the customer is never right, the customer just thinks they're right." This man was a very successful restaurant owner, and he trained us to always let people think they were getting "what's owed them." Until the point where customers would overstep the line and start losing us money; whether through being an unsavory presence, or constantly demanding more product than they paid for. At that point, they were 86-ed (kicked out). Our boss would say, "I'm in business to make money. I don't make money when *blank* customer is constantly demanding more food/service than what is owed to them. Therefore, I don't care if they leave."

Old 04-11-2016, 09:57 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
NO.

The customer is not always right.

But as a company or business owner, one must understand that about 90% of customers and/or clients are going to conduct themselves rationally and have a working relationship with reality. Which allows for profits to be made and also enable a business to deal with and compromise with the delusional terms and conditions mandated by the remaining ten percent or less that think they are right.

I own a business that fortunately does business with other businesses and a certain level of professionalism exists between all parties involved and expectations are based on a combination of reality working in cohesion with objective standards, so the issue of who is 'right' is determined independent of any one parties whims or wishes.

And the existence of defined contracts eliminate any misunderstandings. Along with the ability for one or both sides to go nuclear with attorneys if or when agreements get misaligned.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:57 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
I've worked in retail management and let me tell you, most of the time, they are wrong but we let them slide just to keep them happy. Most people can't read or won't read, especially advertisement or on sale stuff. They assume. They think that just because I work there, I can do whatever they ask. Hey, I work there, I don't own the damn store.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
As a business owner for 16 years, I would like to change the well worn out phrase to reality:

"Let the customer think they are always right."

The employee can always agree with them but just say they don't have the authority to do what is being asked.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:18 PM

589 posts, read 696,295 times
People can really take advantage of any business adhering to that mentality:

You can break something because of your own negligence and then return it, saying it was faulty.
You can eat half a steak dinner and complain that it wasn't cooked right and then get another steak meal for free.
You can take the frustrations of your life out on a customer rep because you think they're required to take it.

Trying to appease these types only costs a company more in the long run. They are often repeat customers who've figured out how to get twice as much just by being difficult. A company should know when to break the rule. As with anything, there should be exceptions, and you shouldn't keep rolling over for the known manipulators.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:37 PM

370 posts, read 654,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Isn't the customer is always right mentality an idea that has only come along in the 21st century? I honestly do not know, and have not taken the time to find out. However, I find the notion to be rather misguided. From a business sense, you want your customer to return. But that shouldn't mean the customer can demand things beyond the organization power does it? On the other hand, who better to dictate what is correct in a transaction then the customer? I suppose the reason I posted this in the psychology forum is because I am wondering if this mentality is a good way for us as consumers to approach businesses...
Hah here in Italy the customer is always right is a joke, it doesn't exist.
We have good customers service but in America you guys go too far!!! You have to think about quality and professionalism not just to please the customer for the sake of pleasing.

Old 04-12-2016, 03:56 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
When I worked in the food industry we weren't taught "The customer is always right," we were taught "Pleasing the customer is paramount." If you cook a dish to perfection, and the customer sends it back, just correct the perceived "problem" and please the customer. Sometimes someone orders a steak med-rare, but what they really mean is medium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology