Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:13 PM

323 posts, read 377,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Social media does that to people.

If someone has triggers for jealousy, resentment, envy or being nosey, they should stay off social media sites in general.
Everyone should stay off social media, because it's not real. People post when they're at their best, not when they're fighting with a spouse, worrying about money, or up to their elbows trying to unclog a toilet. They post photoshopped selfies while on vacation for three days a year, instead of under the florescent lights in their cubicle.

You can't compare your real life to the fake lives of others that exists only on social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 08:42 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
"Not married and no kids at 29- Facebook makes me feel behind"

No, it does not. Understand why you chose that phrase (assigned "it" that power) and maybe you can start understanding your own, internal mechanisms.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:19 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
You are not behind - most of them will be divorced in 2 years

Old 02-12-2017, 04:18 PM

181 posts, read 138,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,
I am 29 years old, never married (but in a LTR), no kids. Recently I went on a splurge of Faceook friend add-- adding lots of old high school classmates, both from my class and 3+/- above and below. We were a fairly small school. It was a very weird feeling to see several of my classmates married, with children. It just made me feel..behind. I don't feel ready to have children right now. I would like to get settled with a house, and to move into a higher paying position at work. I also work nights. I work for the airline industry, so right now, the gf and I love to travel. We are able to travel at a very discounted rate. We were planning to get as much travel in as we can while we're young, and then settle down.

Any good suggestions? Has this happened to you? I know that being married and having children isn't everything, and obviously they have their own stressors, but it still makes me feel behind. Besides delete Facebook!

It also may be worth noting that I am ~ 2,000 miles away from many of these people. 50% stayed in the state, and the others have moved elsewhere. Regardless, no change of bumping into anyone.

Are you going to "feel behind" because you get divorced later too?
Are you going to "feel behind" when your kids are last to enter therapy to deal with the stress of which parent to spend Christmas with?

You can travel and do whatever you want.
If you don't appreciate that now you will when you "catch up" to your face book friends.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:22 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
Everyone should stay off social media, because it's not real. People post when they're at their best, not when they're fighting with a spouse, worrying about money, or up to their elbows trying to unclog a toilet. They post photoshopped selfies while on vacation for three days a year, instead of under the florescent lights in their cubicle.

You can't compare your real life to the fake lives of others that exists only on social media.
My social media is real.
But you always have to think about other people...

I assume that what other people post are their happy moments (mostly) bc who wants to spread negativity all over the place? That would be tiresome and annoying.

So please...please post funny/happy/achievement-oriented posts of your kids, cute pics of your dogs, awesome pics of your vacation, recipes and neat new food you're trying. Those are the kind of things I want to see on Facebook (I don't have instagram, tweetie or whatever else). It sure as hell beats the crappy political posts, religious posts, whiney posts, etc.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:06 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
Screw Facebook & other Social Media. I've never had a FB site & never will. People just have these pages so they can brag - it should be called "Brag book".

I actually permanently stopped talking to someone partially because they told me I had to have a FB page - what an a-hole.

They can take their FB pages & stick them where the sun don't shine.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:41 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times
Its not that I look at Facebook and see all the cute pictures of kids, or lovely status messages or whatever...that I don't care about. I go on there and see the basics-- so and so no longer has her maiden name, or has a picture of them and their child/children. Its a "oh wow they are married with kids now?!"

Old 02-13-2017, 06:12 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Its not that I look at Facebook and see all the cute pictures of kids, or lovely status messages or whatever...that I don't care about. I go on there and see the basics-- so and so no longer has her maiden name, or has a picture of them and their child/children. Its a "oh wow they are married with kids now?!"
Some of it is shocking, based on what we knew about the person at the time. I can probably rattle off half a dozen of names of people I know who, when they were younger, seemed to have all sorts of drive and ambition, but didn't follow through for whatever reason and end up marrying someone from high school, living in the same town, etc.

Ultimately what they're doing has no impact on how we live our lives.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:12 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the replies. The more I think about it, the more I realize, its just because I came from Small Town, America I have this outlook. Will keep on traveling on!
If you're not living in a large metro, you will have limited opportunities to date. Your dating pool would be very thin. Thinner than a piece of paper. It will fuel your desire to marry and have kids young. I live in an area with 300k-400k and it's mostly young married couples with kids and old widowed ladies over 60+. I toyed around with living in Orange County, California. I've taken many weekend trips there and found it vibrant and exciting. Perfect for a single guy in your age group. But when I saw that house prices flew above 900k and rents were outrageous, I decided to pass. I'm not too keen on Los Angeles.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post

My friends ate a little different. I've known many of them since high school and FB is how we keep in touch with the old crew. Showing off and posing would be dealt with, no mercy.

If you are 29 and unmarried / childless, you are probably ahead of the game. I married and had a child young, and it's not a path I would recommend.

The other day, my first boyfriend from middle school found me on Facebook. Reminiscing with school friends after you've moved away is harmless fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology