Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 11:50 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,944,289 times

Advertisements

Has this happened to you? Just yesterday morning I was thinking about an acquaintance of mine. I hadn't seen her in a couple of months. I had on my to do list to schedule something with her in the coming weeks.

I ended up running into her on my way to meet someone else! It is like my brain manifested her!

Has this happened to you? You were thinking about someone and you see them or they contact you not long after the thought?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 02:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,239,305 times
Yes. Or I think of someone out of the blue and then I find out something good or bad has happened to them.

I know it is weird. But there it is.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:14 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,659,731 times
"A lot of people don't realize what's going on. They view life as a bunch of unconnected incidents and things. They don't realize that there's this like, lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything. I'll give you an example. Show you what I mean. Suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly, somebody'll say like, plate, or shrimp, or plate of shrimp. Out of the blue. No explanation. No point looking for one either. It's all part of the cosmic unconsciousness." - Miller, Repo Man

Old 04-02-2016, 03:33 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,817,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
"A lot of people don't realize what's going on. They view life as a bunch of unconnected incidents and things. They don't realize that there's this like, lattice of coincidence that lays on top of everything. I'll give you an example. Show you what I mean. Suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. Suddenly, somebody'll say like, plate, or shrimp, or plate of shrimp. Out of the blue. No explanation. No point looking for one either.It's all part of the cosmic unconsciousness." - Miller, Repo Man
Funny thing is.. I has a plate of shrimp on my mind when I woke up this morning. My next thought was, I'm suddenly looking for the pool boy. My pool boy also has a some thick tanning oil, draped over most of his exposed skin.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:38 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,684,647 times
All the time! When I worked in a hospital, in the Physical Therapy Dept, they would say don't mention peoples names...or they show up. They do.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:33 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,680,203 times
Confirmation bias/illusory correlation.

The times you end up seeing someone who you were "just thinking of" simply stand out in your mind as more significant that all the times a given person crossed your mind and you DIDN'T subsequently run into that person.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:24 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,322,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Has this happened to you? Just yesterday morning I was thinking about an acquaintance of mine. I hadn't seen her in a couple of months. I had on my to do list to schedule something with her in the coming weeks.

I ended up running into her on my way to meet someone else! It is like my brain manifested her!

Has this happened to you? You were thinking about someone and you see them or they contact you not long after the thought?

This happens to me so often that my husband thinks it's super-creepy.

I'm originally from another state, and not long ago this guy that I grew up with - not a friend, just a classmate - happened to cross my mind for whatever reason, and I wondered where he was now. Within days I looked up at my desk and saw him walking down the hall!! He was shocked that I could recognize him with his balding head and weight gain, but I knew who he was right away. Turned out that he'd been living here awhile.

I do not believe it's just coincidence.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:28 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,486,651 times
Here, let me try: HENRY CAVILL.

I'll report back tomorrow on whether he shows up.

Old 04-07-2016, 04:58 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,859,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperjade View Post
here, let me try: Henry cavill.

I'll report back tomorrow on whether he shows up.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 PM

5,335 posts, read 8,564,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I'm originally from another state, and not long ago this guy that I grew up with - not a friend, just a classmate - happened to cross my mind for whatever reason, and I wondered where he was now. Within days I looked up at my desk and saw him walking down the hall!! He was shocked that I could recognize him with his balding head and weight gain, but I knew who he was right away. Turned out that he'd been living here awhile.
I had something similar to this happen.

One day I was running early for an appointment. When I got near the location, I realized that I would have to sit out in my car for 25 minutes due to being early, and it was very hot out. As I passed a grocery store, the thought "go stand in the freezer section to cool off" popped into my head. I've never done such a thing in my life, but I pulled a u-turn and went in, to stand near the ice cream and frozen pizza.

As I was standing there, I look up, and one of my good friends from college comes walking in. We had gone to college together 5-6 years prior, in a state 1,000 miles away.

In shock, I said what are you doing here? She was on a road trip around the country, and was stopping through my city. The thing is, this store was in the suburbs far away from the main highway. Its not an area a tourist would have any reason to go.

For about ten years, around that time, I would have intense dreams about certain people who I hadn't seen in a long time, and in each case, I would end up running into them in very unpredictable places.

Haven't had any of those in a while though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology