Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 10:36 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here know how to read body language. Twice in the last year I have had two men who were sitting down in a group forum, bend over in their chair to tell me something. They were not trying to whisper, but they wanted to make a point. They in fact invaded my space. This was not sexual, but both were retired teachers, and it felt like they were trying to dominate me, shut me down. I am curious to what others think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:18 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Oh Yeah...body language shows the truth...it's easier to understand than words.
What you felt they were doing was probably right on!!!!

That's why I can never understand someone who says they have a online relationship with someone they've never met....really? how can one see what the other is TRULY feeling when they can't even see the body language thats going on.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:30 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
How to Read Body Language to Reveal the Underlying Truth in Almost Any Situation

There are books and websites to help you learn to do this. Just remember, that you also have to listen to what people say. Sometimes the "typical" body language signs are not what you might think. People are so different, and come from such different family cultures.

But you should be able to find plenty of material to learn from.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:28 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Mattie Jo....I think you read these retired teachers body language correctly.
Watching people as they speak makes it easier and easier to interpret body language.
Trust your interpretations...better than a book...you are there, you will know...it's like you can feel what people are really thinking no matter what words they are saying.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:23 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Does anyone here know how to read body language. Twice in the last year I have had two men who were sitting down in a group forum, bend over in their chair to tell me something. They were not trying to whisper, but they wanted to make a point. They in fact invaded my space. This was not sexual, but both were retired teachers, and it felt like they were trying to dominate me, shut me down. I am curious to what others think.
Everyone's sense of personal space is different so there is always the possibility that you feel more threatened by someone "leaning in" than others would.

On the other hand, consciously or not, "leaning in" is assertive, even aggressive, and is more likely to reflect some level of challenge than not. Some people just want to make sure you're listening, or just want to project earnestness or empathy, like the way touchy-feely people will touch you on the arm frequently in such discussions. I'm sure something like that would usually be the rationalization if you asked them about it. But honestly if you think they are being challenging or invasive, they probably are, and I would only doubt myself if I knew that I was easily intimidated and had a larger than average personal "privacy zone" to protect.

Unfortunately in group dynamics in my experience most people want to avoid conflict and "make nice" and cut slack and so BS tactics go unchallenged. If you challenge them, you end up doing so alone while other people look off into space and whistle to themselves, metaphorically speaking, and they you just end up looking like you're thin-skinned, cranky, or just an out and out douchebag. So there's little percentage in overt pushback. Try to sit further from these people when you can, consider the strategy of reflecting their "lean-in" back on them by leaning toward them when they lean toward you, etc., but mostly I find that it's just best overall to ignore it. YMMV.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
I think if you felt they were trying to dominate you, you were probably right. Decide how you want to react if faced with this type of thing in the future.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:57 AM

1,544 posts, read 924,876 times
I rely more on body language because these days, you can't really take what a person says at face value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology