Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 02:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times

Advertisements

I'm over 50, I didn't think id make it this long

I don't fear death,,,,i fear or very concerned that I'm never a burden to anyone else..

id be fine saying ... I'm checking out on a certain date...if peaceful and no pain and I'm still who I am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 04:17 PM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I don't fear death now, but I did when younger, ironically. I was scared of a lot when I was younger, and a constant worrier about things I can't control (I was Queen of "But what if....?") Now at 54, I feel like if I died tomorrow, I had a decently long life, and a pretty good one overall.

What DOES scare me as I get older is not death, but pain and debility. I have been dealing with a very bad case of sciatica since March, had 4 epidurals already since then. Before the epidurals, I was in the most agonizing pain I've ever known, 24/7, and even Percocet barely touched it. For a 3 week period, I was crawling to the bathroom, then when I got there, it hurt so much to sit on the toilet that I couldn't go. I have never depended on people (I don't like feeling like I owe favors) but I was as helpless as a kitten.

I have always been "tough" in terms of pain tolerance and being able to work through adversity, however this knocked me to my knees like nothing else ever has. I couldn't believe how quickly I spiraled into total despair (if I ever thought about having a gun in my home, that cured me). Now it's much better for now but my entire spine is degenerating with arthritis from my neck to my tailbone, and I know my future is going to include pain. That is what scares me, and if I had to deal with that level of pain long-term, death would be the less scary option.

My perception is also somewhat influenced by 18 years working in nursing homes. While outsiders might find it ghoulish to hear us say "Oh, thank God" when informed that a specific resident died, we know they have now found relief from suffering, so to us it is not a sad thing in the way it is for others.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:29 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,773,203 times
I used to pretty bad. When I was in nursing school it really plagued me but also made me realize it will happen indefinitely. I really did a lot of soul searching that year. I'm a solid Christian and have been for the last 7 years so it really made me sad that I feared death so much. I'm still mid 20's and though I think a lot more cautiously after being around people who were on there death bed for things that could have been prevented, I somehow have a peace about death. I've had a few near death situations so I know God has me here for a purpose. I know that the life ahead of me is far greater than any day on this Earth. All I can do is live on this life to the fullest and with the most purpose and when it's my time God will bring me home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology