Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:18 PM

50 posts, read 51,946 times

Advertisements

I've heard people say that the majority of society cares mainly about themselves. How much truth do you think there is in this? I noticed this about society years ago myself and it made me want to do my own thing even more. That's not to say there aren't nice or generous people out there like teachers, medical professionals, etc. I just think more times than not the average person tends to be self-centered. I guess most of us could have selfish tendencies. Do you agree that too many people are selfish or self-centered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:10 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times
I wouldn't say selfish or self-centered. But I think a majority of people are worried about themselves, and their families.

You're with yourself 100% of the time, so it would be abnormal, I think, to be worried and/or care more about others.

That's why true altruism is a rare trait. I don't think this is necessarily an issue.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:57 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
It all boils down to either the Eros or Thanatos drives. Everything one does is aimed towards the fulfillment (or perceived fulfillment) of those wholly internal, personal mechanisms.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
OP is exactly correct. Most people are very self centered and really only care about themselves, their own happiness and well being.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:51 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I don't think it's that simple, people are more complex than that. The other day the news had several men who ran up to a burning car to pull a woman out, risking their own lives. So in that instance, they were willing to put someone else over themselves. Does that mean they always put others before themselves in their daily lives? No, probably not. Does the fact someone else was too afraid to go help mean they always put themselves before others? No, probably not.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:23 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Yes, most people tend to think of themselves first -- what's wrong with that? If you can't think about your own interests, who's supposed to do it for you? That's different from people who are self centered in a way that never takes other people's needs into account. It's perfectly normal to do both at different times.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:09 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
I think most people are primarily concerned about taking care of themselves and their families. Nothing wrong with that as long as they don't harm others while doing so. There's a big difference in a person going to work every day and providing first and foremost for their family and someone who ignores taking care of their family and instead follows their own selfish desires even though they both doing what benefits them.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:43 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Yes, most people care about themselves first. But that doesn't make a person pathologically selfish. It's part of the survival instinct. If an individual doesn't look out for themselves first, he/she can die, and won't be there to take care of anyone else, and what's the point in that?

To break this argument down very simplistically, consider an airplane flight in which an emergency arises and there is a loss of cabin pressure. The flight attendant instructs passengers to put the mask on themselves first, then on other people who need assistance. Why? Because if you can't breathe and you pass out, you won't be able to put the mask on anyone else, they will pass out also, and all of you will die.

Old 09-02-2016, 10:04 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
IF you don't take care of yourself, there is nothing left to give to others.

Scooby's example above is spot-on!

Old 09-02-2016, 12:20 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
I think that the human condition tends toward self-preservation and that there is no true altruism because even through that one derives some benefit, but I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing. I think that it is healthy and shows strong boundaries, actually. When it gets to be pathological is when it becomes a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology