Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:18 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

Advertisements

I am starting to come to terms with the fact that if I am ever to move forward in my life, I am going to have to disown my family. There are various issues and obstacles I have between me and happiness, but the biggest one that everything else hinges on is my family. The issue is I am gay and closeted, but my family is at a 10 out of 10 on the homophobic scale. These aren't people who simply don't agree with the lifestyle or don't like gay marriage. These are people who want to see homosexuality become a capital crime. These are people who flare up with hate and rage any time homosexuality comes into the conversation throwing anti-gay slurs, etc. I am not exaggerating when I say they are every bit as zealous as the Westboro Baptist Church.

I have been out of the closet before and it wasn't pretty. I'll sum it up by saying my family fell completely apart and could not handle it. Ultimately, I went back in the closet and attempted gay/straight conversion therapy because I also could not take the way I was being treated by them. I was always very close to them growing up and when I came out the first time, that changed overnight. Last time I saw them after coming out before moving to the east coast, my dad chased me away from the house as I was in tears screaming anti-gay slurs at me and shouting that God hates me.

With all this in mind, I have two issues. The first is they are still my family. They love me in their own way. I've heard it said they don't love me because they won't accept me for who I actually am, but to them, my same-sex attraction is a choice I made that can be fixed by prayer and therapy. In their minds, what they did was love because since homosexuality is the worst sin a person can commit, it deserves the harshest response. That isn't true, but to them it is. No matter how angry I get with them, I still love them, and sometimes I can't bare not being the person they want me to be and the fact that our relationship will never be what it was before I came out the first time. It's tragic, but that is the way it is.

Secondly, I live in an area where the mindset of the majority is in line with my family (though most people even here aren't near that extreme though most will say they "don't agree with the lifestyle"). I really don't have a "chosen" family so to speak as I am completely closeted. Moving is not an option for another 3-4 years no matter what. I've looked at everything and it just can't be done financially (I've discussed this and the reasons why ad nauseam on this board).

Third, I worry that I will throw away my family and not find the acceptance I seek on the other side of the fence and won't be able to find a partner. I am not the the most likable or extroverted person. Also, the LGBT community can be a brutal, dog-eat-dog world. I know this from my time out of the closet before. If things fall apart in my life or a fall on bad luck, I could end up completely and totally alone. At least now I have my family as long as I conform to their expectations.

I have a mountain to move, but I won't be able to move everything all at once. I have to tackle this one thing at a time, an the pivotal piece is my relationship with my family. It's very sad and painful that it has to come to this, but it's impossible for me to reason with them and the only way I will be able to move forward in life is without them in it. I really hate that and honestly don't know if I can bear to do what has to be done.

How would you proceed in this situation?

Last edited by bawac34618; 09-20-2016 at 09:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 10:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
You absolutely cannot successfully divest yourself of your family (even a toxic family) if you have not set up a good support network of people who truly care about you.

You will not be successful if you attempt to cut your family out, but don't have a new "family" of sorts of your own making. In any case, you really need to cultivate a supportive group of allies, for your own mental health.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:12 AM

473 posts, read 502,518 times
The book 'Toxic Family' is hugely helpful. Just skip to the chapter on coping. First like 8 chapters are just making excuses for generational differences and things were just different back there or people managed an abuse issue because it was 'just how it is'.....Is LIFE CHANGINGLY helpful book, is so useful.

I'm so sorry for your suffering. Is pretty common for most who came out, at least for a while.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:43 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattalk1 View Post
The book 'Toxic Family' is hugely helpful. Just skip to the chapter on coping. First like 8 chapters are just making excuses for generational differences and things were just different back there or people managed an abuse issue because it was 'just how it is'.....Is LIFE CHANGINGLY helpful book, is so useful.

I'm so sorry for your suffering. Is pretty common for most who came out, at least for a while.
I'll have to take a look at it.

One thing is I am certain my parents can never "come around" so to speak. They are in the top 0.001% of homophobes, which is why disowning them will be my only option. I would say Fred Phelps, from what I know about him in his latter days, had more humanity than my dad does. I just have to get to that place where I am ready to pull the trigger.

Old 09-21-2016, 02:47 PM

865 posts, read 1,489,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You absolutely cannot successfully divest yourself of your family (even a toxic family) if you have not set up a good support network of people who truly care about you.

You will not be successful if you attempt to cut your family out, but don't have a new "family" of sorts of your own making. In any case, you really need to cultivate a supportive group of allies, for your own mental health.
I don't know if I agree with your opinion here, I think you need to find your strength from within, and align your spirit going forward because people can turn their back on you at any time. It is better to rely on yourself.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:34 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,131,283 times
My toxic family disowned me about 21 years ago because I wouldn't do one more crazy thing. It was devastating, but in the long run it was a wonderful thing to have had happen. My life was much easier.

Refuse to play your role and they will take it out of your hands.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:04 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,043 times
There's a lot of truth in the lyrics to this song.

Quote:
"I will sing this vict'ry song, woo, hoo,hoo,woo, hoo,hoo

Well I know it wasn't you who held me down
Heaven knows it wasn't you who set me free
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key "
EAGLES LYRICS - Already Gone

Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right.
Forget about the ones who don't.
Believe everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance, take it & if it changes your life, let it.
Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would most likely be worth it."

Embrace your life, don't fight it !

Old 09-22-2016, 05:37 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Last time I saw them after coming out before moving to the east coast, my dad chased me away from the house as I was in tears screaming anti-gay slurs at me and shouting that God hates me.

With all this in mind, I have two issues. The first is they are still my family. They love me in their own way.
No, they don't. Quit making excuses for their behavior. They abused you, pure and simple. That's not love.

Quote:
Third, I worry that I will throw away my family and not find the acceptance I seek on the other side of the fence and won't be able to find a partner. I am not the the most likable or extroverted person.
You don't have to become extroverted, but you do have to become likable if you want to find friends and love. Hate to sound simplistic, but you really need some therapy.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Find a supportive gay community. With their encouragement and support, you can tell your parents that you are gay. I think, honestly, they will probably separate from you.

It will be hard, hard, hard.

Take it stepwise. Don't tell your family without some support. If you are the person I think you are--living in OKC and miserable--then please do find the gay community there. It might be small, but I am confident there is one.

Coming Out support | LGBT Foundation

You technically cannot disown your family because you don't own them in the first place. What you feel you need is separation, because of their attitude about your sexual orientation. At least, I think that is what you need. What I feel from your posts, is that you love your family, but your need to be who you truly are is tearing you apart.

Is there a therapist in town that deals with this sort of thing? I'd find one, and work through this, I think. And, find the local gay community. There has to be one in your area.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:23 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,636 times
Quote:

How would you proceed in this situation?

What I am missing in your post is a big one - your age. Because if you are still a minor then my advice would be to hang on until you reach legal age, and make a responsible plan to move on. Because I see no way out of that circle of Hell besides LEAVING it behind you. It doesn't matter that they love you "in their own way" - they are doing damage and you cannot change them.

If you are an adult, then I can't help asking - WHY are you still there??? Again, you cannot change them, and the first thing you need to do is combat any fears or insecurities you have about moving away to start elsewhere. Your post is one side of the story, I realize, but if your family is half as bad as it sounds then I'd be for saving up money to fly like a bat out of Hell to save yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology