Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:45 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times

Advertisements

I always wanted a simple life,tiny house https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com and living on a friends or someone's small spot of land in the country,working for myself,mortgage free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 12:55 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
Everyone has to find the meaning of life within themselves. Do you ever wonder why people with seemingly enough money still end up in trouble either through depression, substance abuse, or other psychological problems?

While some of these conditions are genetic in origin, a lot of these problems are related to long-term job stress and financial stress. Over time all of the cortisol from being in a fight or flight mode adds up. And some people snap, or their judgement gets clouded. They may think the answer is more money, but of course that only lasts for a while.

You just have to accept that you're going to be judged, perhaps looked down upon as an oddball or weirdo. That's the price you have to pay for relatively stress free life.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Each person has to weigh their own wants and needs.

I was blessed with some talents - a good memory, good hands and an interest in many things.
I also love women (I'm a guy). Therefore, I did get married...and had children.

That changes the whole equation. Big time. I have played the game for decades and won it...but I know it's a game just like the "slacker" knows that is a game (or a calculation, same thing).

There are so many ways to look at this. If one is not possessed of talents (musical, IQ, creative, etc.) then I could understand not wanting to try and pretend - to work hard knowing that you really aren't contributing much ("The Office, etc.).

On the other hand, if one is in the position to learn and be a doctor or even a good carpenter and therefore help others and enjoy working, learning and helping others..it would seem a shame to avoid that so that one could lounge around more and not be stressed.

There is good stress and bad stress. Without stress we would not be here. Maybe I'm too ambitious but it would affect my self-worth (perceived) if I didn't feel I contributed to society.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:23 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
I don't call it mediocre - I call it smart. I'm about the same way.
Go for it. Nothing wrong with it. Why would you live to suit someone else?
I don't know why people would want to work 50 or 60 hours a week, I couldn't stand that. What about a life?

Old 12-10-2016, 03:44 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
I think part of what the OP is saying is that he prefers to work to live, rather than living to work. There's nothing wrong with that. I know people who have done that, and they've been very contented with their life. They even managed to save a bit for travel. And these were actually very bright people. Bright enough to figure out their own priorities and live life on their terms.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:17 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
The OP's description sounds like pretty much every single person I know or have known throughout most of my life.

It's not that unusual to find people who are happy with a comfortable life that doesn't include the latest and most expensive everything... not unusual at all.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:59 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Nothing wrong with the OP's desires if he is happy that way.

There are times I wish I could just live alone in a loft apartment and live a super-minimalist life with some brainless job. Fortunately I get a lot of pleasure from my work, way more than I get pain, and my personal life is not fraught with constant unwanted drama and is, at least, a wash. So ... the pain of changing my life is greater than the pain of not changing. But trust me, if I were somehow free of the promises I've made and the obligations I have, I would be living very much as you describe. And if, when I was in my late teens / early twenties, I had understood life better, I quite probably would never have married and had kids. Love my wife, love my kids and stepkids, just would probably be further ahead in terms of peace of mind and contentment with my total life if I could have magically understood, as you seem to, that such things are overrated by others and by society.

I'd say go for it.

Old 12-10-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I don't call it mediocre - I call it smart. I'm about the same way.
Go for it. Nothing wrong with it. Why would you live to suit someone else?
I don't know why people would want to work 50 or 60 hours a week, I couldn't stand that. What about a life?
I think a surgeon or my family practitioner working 50 or more hours a week has a better life than the dude or dude-et sleeping late, watching some netflix and then agreeing with others about how great that is.

Just saying - most people who work hard doing things which are rewarding (doctors, nurses, teachers, pilots, inventors, engineers and MANY other lines of work) actually enjoy it.

Your statement is like saying "I don't know why anyone reads a book - after all, there is really no need to learn about history and great men and women of the past".

Old 12-10-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
The OP's description sounds like pretty much every single person I know or have known throughout most of my life.

It's not that unusual to find people who are happy with a comfortable life that doesn't include the latest and most expensive everything... not unusual at all.
I don't think it's about the things - it's just that someone has to pump out the septic system and make those netflix movies those slackers are sitting home and watching.

It's really a question of whether one thinks that part of life is being part of the society. There is a big difference between being frugal and working a 40 hour or stay-at-home mom and dad and then doing volunteer work or other hobbies and past times...and just "being" at the minimum level.

I'm thinking Mall Cop or Clerk II here. I don't mind doing any kind of work (yes, I'll clean toilets), but work...of some sort...is largely what life is about. Now...if we all want to move to the tropics that may be another thing. Hot climates seem to favor the slacker.

Old 12-11-2016, 12:25 AM

16 posts, read 20,813 times
So . . . "The more you have . . . the more you have to take care of"
Thats not for me, forget that!
I want simple . . low stress . . then I can laugh more :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology