Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 02:44 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,298,719 times

Advertisements

What a bunch of downers, lol.

Seriously do what you want, but I celebrate, not because of presents, but because it's always been a decent time for me.

I put up lights on the house, in the tree outside, and put up our fake tree.

Now that I have a son, its for him.

I don't mind Xmas music, and I remind myself that there was Christmas before Christ, in Yule and other Winter Solstice celebrations which have been going on for hundreds and possibly thousands of years.

Sure there are annoying parts, and annoying people, but I've learned over the years to avoid the malls, and not get into arguments about "The reason for the season."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 03:17 PM

2,506 posts, read 2,520,665 times
It's really not about being a downer (I know you were joking but it's an interesting point)
Christmas has a lot of specific activities and if you don't like those activities, it's easy to feel like a downer
I don't like decorating my house. I don't like shopping. I definitely don't like wrapping. I don't enjoy the visual of Christmas trees. All of the "junk" on them lol. I don't enjoy large gatherings
Now if Christmas happened to be celebrated by drinking coffee quietly by a fire with a good friend, I would be all over that

Old 12-22-2016, 03:22 PM

5,236 posts, read 4,706,944 times
It's obvious to all but the most oblivious that Christmas has more often than not become a major stress time for most. The incessant running around to family get togethers, the mass shopping sprees many undertake, but, it is truly a kids holiday for the most part and the adults could at least try to see that for what it is. For me it's dinner with my kids and my wife's family.

We don't have any real young kids in both families but even the teenagers and young adult children expect gifts, then "throw in' with their parents for ours lol. I just love to have a big dinner and the coming together of family, my wife and I give to the local missions and try hard to encourage that kind of giving for the rest of the family. If it's all about giving then we feel we should give to those most in need.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:26 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,944,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Lighten up - I said it tongue in cheek - hence the winking emoticon.
Well, if you have to drag emoticons into it, it was "Thumbs Up!" you used, signifying approval, not "Wink," signifying whatever "Wink" signifies.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:34 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,006,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I still consider Christmas to be for the kids, so if you have none in your family, there is no reason to participate. .
None of my close relatives is still in childhood, so I have no reason to do a traditional Christmas. I plan on having a friend over to veg out and watch movies.

Old 12-22-2016, 04:48 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,630,831 times
Quote:
Nowadays, we're just as happy to copy our Jewish friends and go out for a movie and dinner at a Chinese restaurant.
That's what I told my mother what I was doing for Christmas and she didn't even know that was how we do the day. She considers herself Jewish through and through, which is really weird because she doesn't know anything or anyone Jewish, I bet she thinks all the Jews are sitting around feeling sad for themselves on Christmas day, and she doesn't even know they go to a movie or comedy show and then Chinese dinner. Now I can tell her that even non-Jewish folks can do the same thing too, after all, what else is open on Christmas day!?! actually in recent years I prefer to go to an Indian buffet because many offer vegetarian options.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:00 PM

230 posts, read 174,484 times
sociopath - No. A bit of a Grinch - Yes

Old 12-22-2016, 05:53 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,351,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Celebrate the winter solstice and the fact that the days are now getting longer.
yes, I love that!

Old 12-22-2016, 06:04 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,423,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
It's really not about being a downer (I know you were joking but it's an interesting point)
Christmas has a lot of specific activities and if you don't like those activities, it's easy to feel like a downer
I don't like decorating my house. I don't like shopping. I definitely don't like wrapping. I don't enjoy the visual of Christmas trees. All of the "junk" on them lol. I don't enjoy large gatherings
Now if Christmas happened to be celebrated by drinking coffee quietly by a fire with a good friend, I would be all over that

What's stopping you? That's how many people celebrate the season - sitting quietly by a fire, with or without a loved one or friend, with or without a hot beverage, just soaking in the quiet peacefulness of a long winter night in the warmth of a fire.

Personally I like to add the twinkling Christmas tree lights and some soft Christmas music, but that's just me. Oh, and some nog in the egg nog!

Old 12-22-2016, 06:05 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,423,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Well, if you have to drag emoticons into it, it was "Thumbs Up!" you used, signifying approval, not "Wink," signifying whatever "Wink" signifies.
It's a Thumbs Up WITH a wink. Wow, you're really serious about this stuff, aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology