Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 06:28 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Then don't participate.

For some people, Christmas (Christ Mass) isn't about gifts, and that wasn't the original premise of the holiday (holy day). If it means nothing to you, then why stress out about it? Just tell people the truth - you aren't celebrating a religious holiday and you're uninterested in marking the occasion in any way.

Then maybe you could go further and press your employer to allow you to work during the holiday in place of someone who may be more interested in celebrating it - thus giving them the time off since it's clearly more important to them than it is to you. You can take the time off later and do whatever you want with that time. Everybody wins.
The perfect answer. (And I really do understand that it can feel overwhelming if you don't feel any attachment to it, either religious or secular.)

I went from a practicing denominational Christian, to generic nominal Christian, to commercial hoopla-hating guy to a member of a non-Christian religion. I never was someone who felt obliged to dislike the religious holiday...but the commercial one drove me up the wall.

What Kathryn describes really is an everybody wins situation. Working for two or three days in total peace and quiet you can get a lot done, and you get to take it off in better weather (maybe.) And if you can replace some poor person who would like to celebrate so much the better.

The rub is that there may be people who will start guilt-tripping you: You'll just ruin my Christmas if you don't do X! (This is where working on the holiday may give you some room to wiggle off that hook.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 06:35 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Christmas is pointless to a lot of people these days and i wish the trend would actually catch on.

Old 12-23-2016, 06:51 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
No day off from work is pointless, it's up to you what you do with it.
It's a celebration of the winter solstice, do with it what you will.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:33 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What's stopping you? That's how many people celebrate the season - sitting quietly by a fire, with or without a loved one or friend, with or without a hot beverage, just soaking in the quiet peacefulness of a long winter night in the warmth of a fire.

Personally I like to add the twinkling Christmas tree lights and some soft Christmas music, but that's just me. Oh, and some nog in the egg nog!
Because I have to go to my in-laws 😭 lol

Old 12-23-2016, 07:35 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Nah, Christmas is the time of year when even butt-heads try to be pleasant.
Really? Some lady with those antlers on her car stole my parking space yesterday 😂

Old 12-23-2016, 07:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Because I have to go to my in-laws 😭 lol
I understand feeling an obligation but the Christmas season is not just one day. My point is that most of us can manage to sit quietly by a fire (or in a living room if one doesn't have a fireplace or firepit) with a hot cup of something or other, with or without a loved one or friend present, and just enjoy the peacefulness of a long, dark, quiet winter evening.

That being said, I am sorry you feel like you have to go to your in=laws! I feel your pain.

Here's an aside note to that though:

My inlaws were gnarly. I can't say that I ever really ENJOYED going to their house on Christmas Day or Christmas Eve, but when they were alive that's what we did. It was a few hours out of the total Christmas season and it didn't kill me.

Now they are both dead and in spite of some of their gnarly ways, I would love to swing by their house and see them this Christmas. But those days are over now.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:13 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
I support and love Christmas for those who love it..and love and support those who don't. It's a personal decision to embrace or ignore Christmas. So do your thing and don't worry about it...

Old 12-23-2016, 09:18 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I've never been very religious or really into holidays much at all.

For a lot of people, Christmas is one of the few times a year they get to see family. Sometimes they deeply care about these family members, but are separated by distance or just the business of day to day life. That makes it special to them.

I know other people who "do Christmas" for the whole month of December. Countless dinner parties, cocktail parties, social functions, etc. One guy I know is a country club member and has been a member at other country clubs in the area. He has a large family and there is always something going on. It's a big deal to him.

As for me personally, I see the family I care about almost always at least once a week. I'm only close to one aunt and uncle, my grandparents, and my parents. I'm not close to my other aunts and uncles, cousins, and I'm an only child and single. It's not that special for me because I see everyone all the time.

I'm not into the traditional Christmas foods (really don't care for spiral sliced ham, overcooked green beans and corn, and the heavy winter foods) or gift-giving. I make enough money to get what I need/want when I want it. I HATE the pressure that because X bought me something, I have to buy X something, even though I'm not sure what they want or will use.

It's supposed to in the 60s here this weekend. I'd rather just grill some burgers and hot dogs, and sit outside on the porch and drink beer with my buddies, but that's not practical.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've never been very religious or really into holidays much at all.

For a lot of people, Christmas is one of the few times a year they get to see family. Sometimes they deeply care about these family members, but are separated by distance or just the business of day to day life. That makes it special to them.

I know other people who "do Christmas" for the whole month of December. Countless dinner parties, cocktail parties, social functions, etc. One guy I know is a country club member and has been a member at other country clubs in the area. He has a large family and there is always something going on. It's a big deal to him.

As for me personally, I see the family I care about almost always at least once a week. I'm only close to one aunt and uncle, my grandparents, and my parents. I'm not close to my other aunts and uncles, cousins, and I'm an only child and single. It's not that special for me because I see everyone all the time.

I'm not into the traditional Christmas foods (really don't care for spiral sliced ham, overcooked green beans and corn, and the heavy winter foods) or gift-giving. I make enough money to get what I need/want when I want it. I HATE the pressure that because X bought me something, I have to buy X something, even though I'm not sure what they want or will use.

It's supposed to in the 60s here this weekend. I'd rather just grill some burgers and hot dogs, and sit outside on the porch and drink beer with my buddies, but that's not practical.
You can do that next week.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:54 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,304,633 times
After I turned 18, I didn't celebrate it as much but I will be giving gifts especially to my sister since she's a toddler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology