Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 10:50 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times

Advertisements

Honestly I think it has alot to do with biology.

Every species has a primal instinct to continue themselves in the fittest way possible. If humans are meant to remain as the Apex species we have to have adapted with a sophisticated law of attraction. And it would have to be an autonomic process, otherwise we would over-think it & screw it up.

BMI preference can fluctuate depending on the country but waist-hip remains a constant. Much of the ratio is controlled by hormones & it is considered a sub-conscious, visual indicator to fertility.

It will take me a bit to find the link but about 2 years ago I read a published study on Pub-Med regarding tips received by Strippers on BC pills vs off & it was pretty interesting & done with a complete scientific process ...

... Or, it could have been the genius idea of a bunch of research students at some university on how to spend the rest of the semester at a strip-club & still get a good grade ...

I always thought that opposites do attract & have wondered about the "next level" of that thought: What if that is natures way of "diluting" genetic predisposition for disease? Some conditions are suspect with certain physical traits such as Marfans (tall, thin, long limbed & narrow facial features).

Maybe the fact that "Jack Sprat could eat no fat; his wife could eat no lean ..." is natures way of giving future Sprat generations a chance for a healthy & balanced build & lower risk for problems linked to being over/under weight ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 11:35 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Hormones and chemicals. Why do people like alcohol and marijuana? Its all just changes in neurochemicals. Why do some women go after bad men? Genetics.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:37 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
There is a psychological component as well. For example, the reciprocal attraction theory: we're are attracted to women who are are attracted to us. Moreover, the more times you see someone or are in contact with them, the greater your attraction will be: proximity factors. We are also attracted to people who have similar mannerisms and generally more alike to us.

Finally, the more physically attractive someone is, the more likely you are to be attracted to them.

There's a couple other factors I'm forgetting but you get the idea.

Edit: Another factor is arousal.

There's a study that found couples who's first date was in a theme park felt more attraction. The participants were confusing the physical arousal after a ride on a roller coaster to being attracted to their partner.

Last edited by Drewjdeg; 01-11-2017 at 11:47 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
This is a real question?

The answer to this is that our creator, our Heavenly Father, God, created us that way.

Old 01-12-2017, 11:45 AM

738 posts, read 585,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
"Pardon me miss, but I've never done this, with a real, live girl..."

Yes, there is something to this! All the looking at pictures, all the imagination, all the groping of one's own parts - none of that even comes close. I've seen buddies of mine...not bad looking fellows actually, totally besotted over some average (even homely-lookin' ) girl...she got him down the aisle! And they seemed to be pretty happy about it also. Why? Because she would have him. Because she said Yes.

Sometimes. very powerful men hook up with women who are not much to look at. Peter the Great and Andrew Jackson. Guess they did it for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology