Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 08:11 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,332,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
In our urban society, people spend far too much time indoors and nowhere near enough time exercising. Almost the entire population if vitamin D deficient from a lack of sun exposure, and it has been known for many years that exercise is a cure for depression.
Finally! I had to weed through 7 pages of the thread to get this one.

The answer to the majority of health problems is always the same: diet, exercise, sleep, stress

Walk 10,000 steps per day or do cardio or something. Eat a balanced diet without the junk carbs that spike your blood sugar level followed by a crash and take it easy on the high fat. Get to bed early enough that you wake up without needing an alarm clock. Those three all help coping with the stress and there are lots of things you can do to take control of your life to minimize your stress.

So if you're feeling lousy, start eating properly, get daily exercise, turn off the TV, keep that smart phone out of the bedroom, get to bed at a reasonable hour, and take a hard look at what's causing the stress in your life and do some soul searching about what you should do to minimize it.

For most of us, the wheels fall off from time to time. That's when you need to go back to the basics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 08:58 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,160,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Worry and fear are a cause for the increase of anxiety and depression.
Add to that being in a situation where you cannot escape the cause of the worry and fear. Or at least cannot easily escape. My own problems now find their cause in a stressful business I started, the worry, fear, anxiety and depression are caused by the business. I am backing out of my business trying to not lose my shirt, and it's going to take a few years. Until then I will just have to suffer the anxiety and depression, and the only saving grace is that I know there is a definite end coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes, they are having a mental health crisis in that country. They have gone so far as to start training laypeople as counselors, making house calls. Google it, it's quite interesting.
I have very few liberal beliefs but one is that I think all people should have free access to counseling. So many people have so many problems that they are causing more problems. Get to the original source and fix that and you'll fix the downstream problems too.

In the past your Father, Rabbi, Priest or other religious figure was the "go to" person that held much of our society together. Religion is falling out of favor, if for no other reason that many people are now nominal believers, non-participants, and spend their entire time in the rat race with no time left for discussing their problems with somebody who can help.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:12 AM

48,580 posts, read 34,966,648 times
Not being rude, but think about it.....

Anxiety and depression are luxuries. You can indulge in "moods" because you are not worrying about getting food, shelter and immediate death.

Also, I think people in the West believe they have a right to happiness, all the time, whereas other cultures know that sometimes you will feels down, and you will get through it.

I am not saying that all mental illness is a choice, it clearly is not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-24-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Anxiety and depression are luxuries. You can indulge in "moods" because you are not worrying about getting food, shelter and immediate death.
I think you are trivializing these psychiatric problems. Some people commit suicide as a result of anxiety and especially depression. How does that not supersede worrying about death? I mean, that they'd rather die than continue suffering?

I'm not buying your hypothesis.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:57 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,257,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I think you are trivializing these psychiatric problems. Some people commit suicide as a result of anxiety and especially depression. How does that not supersede worrying about death? I mean, that they'd rather die than continue suffering?

I'm not buying your hypothesis.
it makes a little bit of sense i think.

i remember hearing something like celiac and gluten intolerance is a "rich person disease" like you would never hear a poor person say they have it because they wouldn't be able to afford a gluten free diet probably. kind of an interesting perspective - almost like it's a problem created because you CAN do something about it.

i wonder if homeless people or people struggling to get food and water complain about anxiety and depression.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i wonder if homeless people or people struggling to get food and water complain about anxiety and depression.
No, they worry about mind control and flying saucers and voices telling them to do things and aliens. And somebody getting their best begging spot or best sleeping spot. Or stealing their shopping cart.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,461,981 times
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:33 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,016,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Worry and fear are a cause for the increase of anxiety and depression.

Just look at what people have to go through to have a roof over their heads. People wake up in "alarm" when their alarm goes off every morning, rushing out the door to work - no time for breakfast. Getting their kids to school, piano lessons, soccer, hockey after you microwave supper. People freaked out they won't have saved enough money for 20 years of retirement. The cost of living is over the roof. Rising costs of housing, fuel, utilities. Wars and terrorists all over the globe. Unstable economy. Unemployment.

The list never ends.

War and terrorism haven't gotten worse over previous generations. It's just that we didn't hear about Every Single Bad Thing that happened in the world before. So, the situation hasn't gotten worse, only our perception of it. Just like child abductions. They haven't increased, we just hear more about them because we have a million news sources at our fingertips.

You want to talk about worry and fear? Imagine being unemployed before the welfare state. You and your family could actually starve to death. Now, there are so many safety nets to ensure this doesn't happen. I'm not saying there is nothing to worry about. Perhaps we all have so much more, that we have more to lose.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,922,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
In our urban society, people spend far too much time indoors and nowhere near enough time exercising. Almost the entire population if vitamin D deficient from a lack of sun exposure, and it has been known for many years that exercise is a cure for depression.
My son exercises hard for 4 hours a day, mostly outside. He has to eat 4500 - 5000 calories a day to avoid losing weight. He maintains a relatively healthy diet - not a lot of processed crap. He still struggles with severe depression and anxiety. The exercise and sunlight certainly help, but do not solve the problem.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:59 PM

3,749 posts, read 2,580,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Another thing that I think is the problem is that we are so divided from nature. I always feel better when I get out into the woods.
Stepka, very good point..
And I think it's more than just being out in Nature. Modern West needs to be more engaged with Nature. Outdoor physical activity is a good way to release anxiety & stress.. running, biking, rock-climbing, swimming in a lake, etc.

I'm not saying this a cure-all for clinical depression, but I believe it helps balance people mentally and spiritually. We need to reconnect more with our inner caveman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology