Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 02:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

I don't think women are more mentally ill, but certainly more stressed and depressed. And in my opinion it was the backfire of the women's movement back then.

You may be too young to remember the song, "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never ever let you forget you're a man....cuz I'm a woman..."

For about a minute, men were really upset by the idea women wanted to get careers and work full-time, and didn't want men holding doors open for them.

But, being the resilient creatures they are, they had an "ah-ha" moment, when they realized that with two salaries, they could buy all the expensive things they'd always wanted. Boats! Planes! Big houses! Multiple vehicles! ATVs! RVs! Vacation homes!

Unfortunately, along with that did NOT come an equal share of managing the home or rearing or taxiing the children, which used to be the "only" full-time job women had.

So, women have found themselves expected to work full-time at careers - and get and pay for the education to get them - and have children, and manage the home, and figure out dinner, laundry, day care, play dates......

And when she gets up in the morning, as highly-educated and successful she is in the workplace, the first thing she hears is, "Is the coffee ready?" "Where are my socks?" "I don't have any clean underwear!" "I forgot to tell you I'm supposed to bring cupcakes to school today!" While her iPhone is ringing with her boss also needing something.....

Mental illness? It's a miracle she hasn't just checked herself into an institution just to relax.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I don't think women are more mentally ill, but certainly more stressed and depressed. And in my opinion it was the backfire of the women's movement back then.

You may be too young to remember the song, "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never ever let you forget you're a man....cuz I'm a woman..."

For about a minute, men were really upset by the idea women wanted to get careers and work full-time, and didn't want men holding doors open for them.

But, being the resilient creatures they are, they had an "ah-ha" moment, when they realized that with two salaries, they could buy all the expensive things they'd always wanted. Boats! Planes! Big houses! Multiple vehicles! ATVs! RVs! Vacation homes!

Unfortunately, along with that did NOT come an equal share of managing the home or rearing or taxiing the children.

So, women have found themselves expected to work full-time at careers - and get and pay for the education to get them - and have children, and manage the home, and figure out dinner, laundry, day care, play dates......

And when she gets up in the morning, as highly-educated and successful she is in the workplace, the first thing she hears is, "Is the coffee ready?" "Where are my socks?" "I don't have any clean underwear!" "I forgot to tell you I'm supposed to bring cupcakes to school today!" While her iPhone is ringing with her boss also needing something.....

Mental illness? It's a miracle she's not just checked herself into an institution just to relax.
Men in the new millennium can't fix coffee or find their socks?

Old 04-16-2017, 03:05 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

Mental illness? It's a miracle she hasn't just checked herself into an institution just to relax.
You'd think the massage business would really be booming, for de-stressing.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You'd think the massage business would really be booming, for de-stressing.
They don't have time.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:11 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I was having a talk with my grandma who is a retired RN about my best friend who is perpetually single. She was just curious as to why he wasn't married, as he's a decent looking guy with his act together. I told her that he's a serial dater and is convinced almost every woman he meets has mental issues. While I tend to think he obviously has some type of attraction to these women to be getting involved with the same types over an over, I was a bit taken back by my grandma saying that I wouldn't believe how many women are on some type of psych meds these days. She then went on to say that women these days are wound so much tighter than they were when she was that age, and that in her career, she really started to see it in the late 1980's.

by the time she retired in 2005 she said that the amount of people being medicated for mental issues including middle aged men was staggering.

The part about this conversation that surprised me the most is that my grandma doesn't believe this is just the result of doctors over-prescribing psyche meds. She says that she could absolutely see a huge shift in the amount of women with legit mental health issues over her career (particularly with depression and anxiety disorders.)

My grandma isn't the first health professional I've heard say this. So if there is at least some truth to this, what is causing so many women to break as my buddy calls it? Is it social pressures? the food we eat? birth control?
While I feel my best friend can often be his own worse enemy in regards to choosing who he dates, I will side with him in that most of these women he dates are in fact pretty irrational compared to most the women I've dated in my life. His current GF will literally start crying or throw a tantrum if he quits paying attention to her for more than a few minutes, or sometimes she'll just freak out for no reason at all. My wife has had to follow her to the bathroom and deescalate the issue more than once and says that the girl is completely bonkers when you try to reason with her. The last few women he's dated were like this as well???
This is a POORLY DISGUISED gender bashing thread and you know it.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:24 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
...And when she gets up in the morning, as highly-educated and successful she is in the workplace, the first thing she hears is, "Is the coffee ready?" "Where are my socks?" "I don't have any clean underwear!" "I forgot to tell you I'm supposed to bring cupcakes to school today!" While her iPhone is ringing with her boss also needing something.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Men in the new millennium can't fix coffee or find their socks?
I interpreted that part of the commentary to reference a hypothetical kid in the scenario. Husband = coffee, socks, clean underwear and cupcakes for school = kids.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:28 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
This is a POORLY DISGUISED gender bashing thread and you know it.
Speak of the devil and it appears. You should let me set you up with my buddy

I kid I kid.........

Old 04-16-2017, 08:10 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Women are under a lot of pressure in today's world.

First of all, we are expected to be attractive; we're supposed to be pretty with a good figure. Sure, it's true that men are judged on their looks as well, but not nearly as harshly as women. We're supposed to work, and have kids. Take primary care of the kids. Keep an immaculate home. Cook. Please our man in and out of the bedroom. Not complain or get emotional about all of the stress because then we're "crazy."

Old 04-16-2017, 08:29 PM

469 posts, read 398,651 times
If your friend keeps picking this kind of person, perhaps he is the one with a mental disorder. Certainly no one who is mentally healthy would seek out this kind of dysfunctional relationship, over and over. Which tends to disprove your contention that more women are suffering from mental illness than in the past. Or at least in this instance.

I agree - poorly disguised gender-bashing post. And your comment to the last poster who said that proves the point, as well. Any woman who disagrees with you = a woman who is mentally ill? Really. BTW, putting a smiley face icon on a comment like that does not make what you said less offensive.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Women are under a lot of pressure in today's world.

First of all, we are expected to be attractive; we're supposed to be pretty with a good figure. Sure, it's true that men are judged on their looks as well, but not nearly as harshly as women. We're supposed to work, and have kids. Take primary care of the kids. Keep an immaculate home. Cook. Please our man in and out of the bedroom. Not complain or get emotional about all of the stress because then we're "crazy."
Hubby #1, whenever I'd disagree with him, would ask me if I was PMS-ing. We're either mentally unstable or hormonal, if we aren't doing what they want us to do.

Stepford Wives anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology