Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 12:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joearnold View Post
buddy had a date tonight but she cancelle don wednesday saying she had to babysit

so he came over and we just hung out

about 45 minutes ago he looked at his snapchat and saw her posting stuff about being at a bar

so clearly she didnt have to baby sit

but im wondering, why lie? like what the hell

he sent her a text saying "im sure the parents like the fact you just took a kid to a bar"

waiting for reply
Unless the buddy is you, what do you care? It wasn't your date. People lie for a variety of reasons. You've lied in your lifetime, too. You'll lie again.

I'm not exactly sure how she lied given that she did actually babysit. Maybe the time changed. Maybe she was unsure of how long it would be. Maybe he's obsessed with her and won't back off. Maybe he's boring. Who knows? Who cares? Sounds like someone's ego was bruised a bit. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 12:16 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Move on dot org.

There are plenty more fishies in the sea.

If he doesn't trust her he shouldn't ask her out again.

If she'd wanted to accommodate him or go out with him, she'd have mentioned she's available after eight. Take a hint.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:21 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
she's just not that into him.

She'd rather do something else, with someone else.

It was easier for her to lie than explain to your friend that she isn't really interested.

He shouldn't call her again. Tell him to move on. Plenty more fish in the sea.
+1.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:15 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,782,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
If you lie to get out of a date than you're a coward because you can't tell the truth. Simple as that!
Out of a date, out of a relationship.......if telling them the truth that they are fat, ugly, etc., you might just crush that person's self-esteem and scar them for life. Telling some little white lies to keep from hurting them is the right thing to do.

Last edited by davidt1; 06-25-2017 at 03:00 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 02:50 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Telling some little white lies to keep from hurting them is the right thing to do.
This ^^^^

And if you do lie, stay off your smartphone. Maybe even leave it at home? Wow! What a concept!

Old 06-25-2017, 03:25 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post

He went off on me like WW2. Telling me I was stupid, I wasn't the hottest thing in town (DUH I was 36 at the time, not 26.) RAGING till I slammed the phone down in his ear. Then he called back that night and blew up my recorder.

And I lost my friendship with who introduced us. He went crying to her and she didn't listen to my side of the story.

OH well, at least I dodged a bullet.
Two words: Narcissistic injury. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcis...ssistic_injury

So sorry you had to deal with that.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:45 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
This ^^^^

And if you do lie, stay off your smartphone. Maybe even leave it at home? Wow! What a concept!
Yea this is what was wrong with the situation lol

Old 06-25-2017, 05:57 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
She's a coward.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I could imagine a woman having to babysit, and then getting out of that at 8, and then thinking she's got time to pop in at the bar, but maybe not time for a date, or maybe she doesn't FEEL like doing a date at that point but just wants to decompress by dancing and chilling out, having a drink. Or maybe she just isn't that into him, and they are early enough in dating (sounds like) that she does not need to justify her every move to this dude.

If some guy tried to call me to task for how I spent my time, and got pissed and demanded explanations for something like this, I'd not want to deal with him again. I'm not your child, I live my life. Don't like it, walk on.

But at the same time, the whole "OMG I'm at the barrr...and I'm so cuuuute...lemme post a selfie *giggle* on SNAPCHAT, omg" would repel me, too. I'm not the one to be sharing where I'm at and what I'm doing, unless it's really epic, like I'm on a trip somewhere awesome and I know people would want to see pics or something. Down at the local club? Yeah, nobody cares. Even if you feel really cute in those shoes.

I would thumbs down both of these people. Petty, petty stuff. Heck, maybe they deserved each other.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:00 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Often people would rather lie than risk "hurting" someone with the truth. It's psychologically easier on the liar, and the liar assumes it will be easier on the other person.
This is why.

She didn't want to go, and she couldn't tell him she didn't want to go because it's hurtful (she's rejecting him), so she made up a fake obligation to get out of it.

At least she was considering his feelings. If you asked someone on a date and they point blank said, "I"m not interested," wouldn't you be hurt?

She's just dumb to post to Snapchat when she was at the bar.

Last edited by sas318; 06-26-2017 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology