Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:19 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times

Advertisements

If you've experienced having a friend (or close friend) stop communicating with you without notice, have you repeatedly emailed them or texted them to try to make contact? (or have you called them?)

What if it was a romantic partner who had later turned into a friend?

Or have you stopped pretty quickly with trying to contact them and just took the tact of assuming that because they do not wish to communicate with you that you'll honor that decision and you don't bother to contact them except in a small way very initially?

If a romantic partner has stopped communicating with you, have you honored that decision, or have you emailed them to try to make contact?

In the thread 'I think my friend has disappeared', the OP took the tact of repeatedly trying to contact the person by all means possible.

Have you taken the opposite approach, and either not contacted the person at all, or just contacted them a little initially, but then gave up pretty quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 03:20 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Some times they are "dead to you". Some times they are just "dead."
Had a friend who just died without telling me. :-(

Old 07-06-2017, 03:36 PM

19,813 posts, read 9,371,980 times
This topic is very similar to the current thread on "Ghosting".

But to answer your question: Yes, I have personally experienced that (being cut off without notice from what had been a fairly long-standing but infrequent pen pal correspondence). I did make one attempt at contacting her, to which received a fairly harsh reply, in which I was told that this person had no interest in any further communication with me -- I had unintentionally and inadvertently offended her. I felt hurt for a couple of hours (lol!) that she had misunderstood, but then I just shrugged it off. I did send one final e-mail to try to patch things up immediately after receiving her final e-mail, with no response, but that was okay with me because, to be honest, we did not have a whole lot in common, anyway, so I think it was actually a good thing that she ended it, all things considered.

Last edited by katharsis; 07-06-2017 at 03:45 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 03:47 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
If you've experienced having a friend (or close friend) stop communicating with you without notice, have you repeatedly emailed them or texted them to try to make contact? (or have you called them?) Happened only once three years ago. She came in my life like a storm, was very clingy from day one, didn't really have any other friends despite being 50 years old. We were like sisters for a year. Suddenly wasn't reachable for me. No idea why. Stopped answering my calls. She posted on facebook how happy she is with her bf (told me she doesn't like him very much). So since I knew she is fine, I deleted her number.

In the thread 'I think my friend has disappeared', the OP took the tact of repeatedly trying to contact the person by all means possible. yeah, the wrong ones. I would have just gone to her work or to her house to make sure she is ok.

Have you taken the opposite approach, and either not contacted the person at all, or just contacted them a little initially, but then gave up pretty quickly?
see above

Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
Another aspect: if you've cut off communication, do you still want the person you've cut off to contact you repeatedly (by email) because then you know they care?

This would be where you cut off communication because the behavior of the person was psychologically or emotionally abusive (NOT physically abusive) or not respectful or hostile or negative in some way or too unpredictable or the person has some psychological problems, as examples.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-06-2017 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Another aspect: if you've cut off communication, do you still want the person you've cut off to contact you repeatedly (by email) because then you know they care?

This would be where you cut off communication because the behavior of the person was psychologically abusive or not respectful or hostile or negative in some way or too unpredictable or the person has some psychological problems, as examples.
No, absolutely not. If the person who was cut off had abused you in any way, however minor, I don't think you should even hope that they contact you. In cases of abuse, no matter how minor, I think it is best to just cut them off completely, tell yourself "good riddance", and if they persist, to just ignore them.

Last edited by katharsis; 07-06-2017 at 04:28 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 04:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
It can also be the case that the person who cut off communication has some serious issues.

I had ONE argument with a friend and she refused to every speak to me again.

I think that's a little severe.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It can also be the case that the person who cut off communication has some serious issues.

I had ONE argument with a friend and she refused to every speak to me again.

I think that's a little severe.
Agreed, if it was just an argument or disagreement.

However, if there was any kind of abuse involved (other than saying something you or s/he didn't really mean in the heat of the moment), then NO.

I agree that someone who would end an actual friendship due to ONE argument or misunderstanding -- and for no other or additional reason(s) -- is someone I wouldn't want as a friend, anyway.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:02 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,006,311 times
I've had it happen once about a dozen years ago. We went to dinner and planned going to a show the next night. I texted her a couple times about meeting but she never responded. We had several mutual friends who she was still contacting so I left it alone.

She did end up texting me weeks (months?) later asking for help with something. I told her to go get hosed.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:31 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the minx View Post
I've had it happen once about a dozen years ago. We went to dinner and planned going to a show the next night. I texted her a couple times about meeting but she never responded. We had several mutual friends who she was still contacting so I left it alone.

She did end up texting me weeks (months?) later asking for help with something. I told her to go get hosed.

"She did end up texting me weeks (months?) later asking for help with something. I told her to go get hosed."

I don't blame you for doing that.I just recently experienced the same thing!! We had just communicated over the phone in March....then afterwards...nothing.I started to get worried about her because she had NEVER done something like this before....meaning not replied back to me either via e-mail or a phone call sometime later that week BUT after the 18th of March...haven't heard from her.I called and e-mailed...making sure that all I wanted to know from her if she was OK...nothing else...still no reply.I kept this up until June 3rd and then I was done 100%.I understand that sometimes people are going through stuff BUT if you have a friend that cares about you and is asking you if you're OK and NOT wanting to know anything else...then say something! I have done everything I can do SO I don't want to hear from her ever again UNLESS it's with an apology.IF she explains to me why she did what she did...then ok..fine...BUT I don't want anyone coming back into my life and acting like nothing happened.No Way!!
I had had another person whom I had known years longer then this one....come back into my life with more lies about why she hasn't been in contact for so long.Never apologizing for her lying to me and of course I called her out on it and it was more lying,not knowing what I was talking about,then saying she had no remorse,,she hadn't done anything wrong...
I got her to admit that she had done what she had done.....some people change only for the worse and not better.I don't tolerate liars at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology