Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times

Advertisements

I am not a morning person. In the morning my brain is mush and I am lucky if I can get out an intelligent sentence.

When I am applying for jobs, frequently, a potential employer will call me "first thing in the morning" (i.e. 8:00 - 9:00 am) to discuss my resume and schedule an interview time.

Normally, I do not answer the telephone in the morning for several reasons. First, I am at work, and personal phone calls are discouraged and secondly, it is not a good idea to discuss job interview plans when many little ears are listening.

Here is my dilemma: If I call the potential employer back IMMEDIATELY, (which would be the proper courtesy and protocal), I risk making a bad impression because I sound like a complete moron.

If I wait until my brain kicks in (after noon), then I risk ticking off the caller by not returning his/her call promptly.

What would you recommend? Risk the bad first telephone impression or waiting and taking the chance that they will be insulted by not returning their call promptly?

thanks

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 11:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Get up earlier if you need to, but I'd definitely call back sooner than later.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Get up earlier if you need to, but I'd definitely call back sooner than later.
How does getting up earlier solve this dilemma? I am missing something here.

I will try to call him back as soon as I can make sense on the telephone.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-13-2010, 11:21 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,240,440 times
When I have come up against that issue I usually give a statement along the lines of "Best time to call between 12:00-1:00 or anytime after 4:30". I have never had a problem with that. Employers know that means that you are working and can not accept personal calls except during your lunch hour or after you leave.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:24 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
I would call back after noon. I would say, "Sorry to take a while to call back, but you phoned during my work hours so I had to wait until my break." There is nothing wrong with taking 4 hours to return a call, and you will also be letting them know that you are A. currently employed and B. take your job seriously enough that you follow proper protocol (i.e. not making personal calls on company time) so far as your current employer is concerned.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
How does getting up earlier solve this dilemma? I am missing something here.

I will try to call him back as soon as I can make sense on the telephone.

20yrsinBranson
You get up earlier, start your day earlier. Rearrange your routine so things you normally do in the evening get done in the morning. Instead of two hours to wake up, your brain has four. Then go to bed earlier in the evening to accommodate it.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You get up earlier, start your day earlier. Rearrange your routine so things you normally do in the evening get done in the morning. Instead of two hours to wake up, your brain has four. Then go to bed earlier in the evening to accommodate it.
I see what you are saying. Boy I wish it were that easy. Unfortunately, my brain does not work that way (I wish it did). I am useless before noon regardless of when I wake up (or go to bed) LOL.

I took a couple of Adrafranil and a Nootropil before I talked to him and I was pretty alert and sharp. Better living...... etc. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I would call back after noon. I would say, "Sorry to take a while to call back, but you phoned during my work hours so I had to wait until my break." There is nothing wrong with taking 4 hours to return a call, and you will also be letting them know that you are A. currently employed and B. take your job seriously enough that you follow proper protocol (i.e. not making personal calls on company time) so far as your current employer is concerned.

I did just that and he was cool with it. I am going to meet with him tomorrow AFTERNOON! lol

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-13-2010, 03:31 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
This.

Of course .... only works if you are showing currently employed on your resume, otherwise it might not go over well.

Either way, I don't consider 4 hours an extreme amount of time for a returned phone call.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:38 PM

So if you are unable to perform in the morning, how do you go to work and get anything done? By your post you are at your desk when the phone rings, so how do you handle the inability to function before noon at your job? Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment