Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 11:56 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
The $75,000 number is a single number. If you believe that all people are the same and that that one number will work for all people then it will probably work for you.

I don't think all people are the same. I think that some people have simpler needs and some have more complex needs. Therefore the amount of money that will bring happiness (actually less misery) will vary from person to person. For some the number may be ~$40,000 for others, $40,000,000.
I agree with you on the $75,000 figure. But at the same time, people aren't that different. We think we're more unique than we really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 05:27 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

When you look at people who are well off but yet they commit suicide, you realize that money does not buy happiness. However I still wouldn't mind winning the lottery. I could do so much good with that money.
Two of my fav musicians I like died via suicide recently, one just a day or two ago. These guys were wildly successful and both muliti multi millionaires, one was 41 the other 53 I think he was.

Money most certainly didn't help these two guys.

I'm happy as long as I can live a nice solid middle class life, having to scrimp and claw through life sucks. Having "*********" money is nice too, but I could live fine on a comfortable middle class lifestyle.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:08 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Two of my fav musicians I like died via suicide recently, one just a day or two ago. These guys were wildly successful and both muliti multi millionaires, one was 41 the other 53 I think he was.

I'm happy as long as I can live a nice solid middle class life, having to scrimp and claw through life sucks. Having "*********" money is nice too, but I could live fine on a comfortable middle class lifestyle.
Yes I heard about these two but didn't know their music. But can name so many other well known celebs/musicians who ended their life with drugs or with drugs...is about what I come up...many approved drugs.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 07-21-2017 at 07:35 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 07:31 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Now I'm not saying we don't need money, we do. And depending too on where on reisdes, is a factor on how much. Just listening to Dr. Wendy Walsh on the radio, she made the comment that there is a money ceiling to make one happier and that is about $75K per year. She was probably talking about So. Cal since that is where we are. That $75K per year in Pittsburgh Pa would go a lot further.

Thinking back over my life and I now bring in so little with a small pension and social security and some savings, but needs are so little and my wants.

When I made over $73K back in the late 70's early 80's I was killing myself working like a fool and treating money like it was a god. Buying STUFF I didn't need and over the last few yrs getting rid of that stuff.
When I hit $40K at a period, I panicked and went out and bought a condo, bad investment. But it was a lesson and I sold it 5 yrs later. I didn't like the location but making that money put me in another tax bracket so felt a NEED to buy something big like a condo. A house is out of sight price wise plus I didn't want a house for a single lady.

After 9 yrs I left that $73K job as I had no more blood to give and took a job for something like $34K as I search back into my memory bank. And I was just fine.

Would I do some things differently, you bet.

Some of the happiest seeming people are those with so much less than me...They are so grateful for what they have and so much more content. If you don't have it, you can't spend it. Just like if you don't keep that ice cream in the freezer, you won't eat it....

I thought Dr. Wendy gave some good advice on happiness and money. Those who makes millions/billions, they all put their pants on the say way as you and I.. And happy, who knows. Mod cut.

She also made the comment, older people are much more happy than younger. I agree, it took a lot of years of blood, sweat and tears to get here. So we better be content and when young do some SERVICE to others, doing service brings one happiness. Try it. My younger neighbors help me and one says I love to be of service doing what I do for you.
But you didn't treat money like it was God, sounds like you p***ed it away. Someone making over 73K in the 70s and 80s was making way more than the current average salary. Living on half of what you earned and investing it would have set you up for life. You could have lived quite well in the LA area on under 40K back in those days.

And why didn't you buy a home? I live in Southern CA as well, someone making your kind of money could have bought a home in Santa Monica easily for under $50K which would sell now for 2 million.

Sounds more like someone wasn't careful with their money and now is trying to downplay that.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:41 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But you didn't treat money like it was God, sounds like you p***ed it away. Someone making over 73K in the 70s and 80s was making way more than the current average salary. Living on half of what you earned and investing it would have set you up for life. You could have lived quite well in the LA area on under 40K back in those days.

And why didn't you buy a home? I live in Southern CA as well, someone making your kind of money could have bought a home in Santa Monica easily for under $50K which would sell now for 2 million.

Sounds more like someone wasn't careful with their money and now is trying to downplay that.
Early on I said I bought a condo when I hit $40K and bought a condo and
that was in SFV. Santa Monica has always been unaffordable for the so called average below average wage earner. I was NOT a saver until later in life, then I sorta panicked. I remember an old bf scrimped and saved like crazy and bought a house in WLA back during 70-80's, I was not a scrimper and saver. Just the way I did my life. Regrets, not really. Back in the 70-80's a modest house in SM was in the $500K or so now that same house would sell for $2M.

I'm not trying to downplay anything, just saying I'm pretty content with what I NOW have.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:15 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:

If we're going to frame the question in terms of does it buy happiness in every single case for every single person in the world, of course it doesn't. Nothing does. If that is the standard you can make the case for anything.

It's estimated in over 90% suicides there is one or more mental health conditions present. Who would ever suggest that money would cure mental illness?

There is no one answer. How could anyone think there is? It can bring happiness to one person and not to another.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:02 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with you on the $75,000 figure. But at the same time, people aren't that different. We think we're more unique than we really are.
IF I knew my bills could be paid.. and food in my cupboard till I die Id be happy..Ive been poor with three kids on my own, some nights no food for them... so basic needs make me happy. a roof over my head, food in the fridge and no debt letters through the door... Jewellery, fancy clothes, fancy restaurants, fancy holidays are not necessities of life, theyre mere luxuries..

Old 07-22-2017, 01:31 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If we're going to frame the question in terms of does it buy happiness in every single case for every single person in the world, of course it doesn't. Nothing does. If that is the standard you can make the case for anything.

It's estimated in over 90% suicides there is one or more mental health conditions present. Who would ever suggest that money would cure mental illness?

There is no one answer. How could anyone think there is? It can bring happiness to one person and not to another.
Ok... not sure what you were getting at here, everything you listed falls in the "no crap" category.

my comments were sorta off the cuff, of course there are/was underlying conditions. Chris Cornell's case they are now suspecting that the anti-depressants he was on was actually the cause of his death, that needs to be determined still I imagine.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:40 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Ok... not sure what you were getting at here, everything you listed falls in the "no crap" category.

my comments were sorta off the cuff, of course there are/was underlying conditions. Chris Cornell's case they are now suspecting that the anti-depressants he was on was actually the cause of his death, that needs to be determined still I imagine.
What were you getting at? The adage "money can't buy happiness" is oft-debated and always results in people giving examples of people with tons of money who were very unhappy. What does that prove exactly? That also falls into the "no crap" category.

If we said "money can't buy water" and someone gave examples of post-hurricane devastation or remote deserts where no water could be purchased at any amount, does that prove the statement?

What I was getting at is that the adage is not 100% true or false for every person. Exceptions do not disprove the generality. Studies have shown that wealthy people, on average, are happier than poor people. I think the problems in discussing things like this is that people apply their own interpretations to what it means and then answer based on that. Obviously "money can't always buy happiness" because there are wealthy people who are unhappy. And "money can't ever buy happiness" is clearly untrue as there are people who are quite happy after coming into money.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:51 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Basically the majority of posters who say money doesn't equal more happiness lack a lot of life experiences. They hardly ever travel, don't date a lot, probably don't socialize a lot, eat at home whenever they can, wear the same clothes over and over, avoid any events that cost money, and are minimalists.

That kind of lifestyle doesn't require a lot of money. But the majority wouldn't be happy with it either.

Right on. You don't hear world-travelers making this kind of simplistic statement. The happiest couple I know live in a million-plus home, travel the world and do whatever they want, including living part-time in their flat in London. They are very down-to-earth, but still.

I was happier when I could afford to travel and get front seats at a concert, etc. But can't do all that in retirement....(there went my horse, Corvette, airplane....all great fun/expense!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology