Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:20 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
With all honesty I've never even heard of any of these 'movements' before this thread, so, at least in my little world, they have no power here.
That's because it's fringe thinking. I've never heard of any of this stuff before being on CD. There's no mass conspiracy among men to actively oppress women. These nitwits on mgtow sites are the types that couldn't get laid with a fist full of fifties in a ***** house.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:49 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I cannot believe you are blaming this on Trump! I don't know where you've been, but this has been going on for quite some time, definitely pre-Trump. Why is it the left blames every negative action from every random person on him? Geez.
We need a corollary of Godwin's law about online discussions and the probability of someone blaming a random problem on Donald Trump.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
We need a corollary of Godwin's law about online discussions and the probability of someone blaming a random problem on Donald Trump.
Why not? It's no different than blaming Obama or liberals which a lot of people do.

In today's society blaming and scapegoating has become far too commonplace.

There are many people who have created this comic book like universe in their head where they are the heroes and a certain person or group of people are the villains who are behind every bad thing that happens in society or their personal lives.

White men, black men, women, Feminists, immigrants, Muslims, Jews, Christians, Liberals, Conservatives, rich, poor you name it.

By scapegoating you don't have to put much critical thought into the world around you and your own life. Just point the finger at someone and call it a day.

The idea of introspection and self-improvement seems to be dying. At least if you look on the internet.

This is where misogyny and misandry comes from.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Why not? It's no different than blaming Obama or liberals which a lot of people do.

In today's society blaming and scapegoating has become far too commonplace.

There are many people who have created this comic book like universe in their head where they are the heroes and a certain person or group of people are the villains who are behind every bad thing that happens in society or their personal lives.

White men, black men, women, Feminists, immigrants, Muslims, Jews, Christians, Liberals, Conservatives, rich, poor you name it.

By scapegoating you don't have to put much critical thought into the world around you and your own life. Just point the finger at someone and call it a day.

The idea of introspection and self-improvement seems to be dying. At least if you look on the internet.

This is where misogyny and misandry comes from.
It's lazy thinking too in my opinion. People resort to buzzwords and don't bother to research all sides of an opinion, it's far easier to let someone else think for you and to follow the herd.

Sad......

Last edited by Chowhound; 07-24-2017 at 07:41 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 08:26 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
How do you explain so many women voting for him?
More women didn't vote for him than did.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:29 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That's because it's fringe thinking. I've never heard of any of this stuff before being on CD.
There's no mass conspiracy among men to actively oppress women.

These nitwits on mgtow sites are the types that couldn't get laid with a fist full of fifties in a ***** house.
I gotta disagree with you again about the bolded, Chow. There are indeed plans among men to oppress women- as there have always been and always will be. We didn't get to a male dominated society by accident.

All you have to look at is the blocking/closing/defunding of women's health care clinics, that also happen to provide abortion or abortion information, to see that women and women's needs are being deliberately oppressed by men. That is only one example.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:32 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
You say it's "fringe element" Chow, but I'm seeing more and more of this. The screenshot above isn't from C-D- they have their own little group on reddit, and there are plenty of other websites, blogs, FB pages, and message boards. I'm not going to name them here - no reason to give them any publicity.

And you say normally adjusted men wouldn't want to put a dog in their spouses brain -well, these aren't normally adjusted men, and they don't want a spouse. They want a warm body to screw and nothing more. These "men" don't see women as companions or equals, they see them as hindrances to them being able to get their way, say whatever they want about women publicly, burdens on society.

I'm sure it was a fringe element 30 years ago, but now that they can virtually gather and egg each other on, and now that young men are being told that feminism is against them and wants to keep them down, they are attracting more and more followers.
I think what Chow might be missing is that there are an increasing percentage of men of traditional working age who are marginally employed or who have dropped out of the labor force entirely. I could be wrong, but I suspect a fair percentage of these men are in the MGTOW movement.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I gotta disagree with you again about the bolded, Chow. There are indeed plans among men to oppress women- as there have always been and always will be. We didn't get to a male dominated society by accident.

All you have to look at is the blocking/closing/defunding of women's health care clinics, that also happen to provide abortion or abortion information, to see that women and women's needs are being deliberately oppressed by men. That is only one example.
I think we're not going to agree here. I think our disagreement is in the form of how rampant it is. I do realize that there is incorrect thinking by some men. I'll conceded that, I just don't think it's by a large enough percent of men to warrant much more than this kind of face/attitude.

There is no "war on women" on any kind of credible large scale metric. Yeah, closing down some clinics, I suppose impacts some women, but that's the far far right religious nutjobs. Most of the country, men and women aren't into that stuff.

Christina Sommers is a well known old school outspoken feminist and she's talked about some of these things and has done a lot of research on this stuff. Go google her and check out her YouTube vids.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:15 PM

574 posts, read 382,574 times
Both MGTOW and "the third wave Feminism" are stupid and half a***d.. Neither have a real purpose, or actual common sense, and their are crazies on both sides of the aisle

Old 07-24-2017, 09:44 PM

218 posts, read 172,106 times
Quote:
More women didn't vote for him than did.
I never said MOST women voted for Trump, I said why did so many women vote for Trump? The amount of women (particularly white women) that voted for Trump is very substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology