Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:43 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,486,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
**Waving my hand** Me!! I got it.

First -- and this is what works for me -- go over the route on your computer -- see if people have posted videos of it online... you'd be amazed what people post online. Watching it will probably freak you out -- GOOD. Experience the freak out from the safety of your sofa.

Watch it multiple times -- each time you will desensitize to it. Then REALLY look at the bridge -- how many lanes? Can you position your car where you will have less panic? Me? my bridge has 5 lanes... and I stay firmly in the center. I keep pace with traffic.

And most importantly, I breathe deeply and slowly -- don't hyperventilate. I actually talk to the bridge. I call it names, and I tell it, it won't beat me. I am stronger than a bridge. I am stronger than my fear. I also concentrate on the traffic in front of me, and on the immediate sides -- but NOT THE EDGES...

I just looked your bridge up -- I found a couple of videos, and it's two lanes but it's got a nice wide shoulder -- and jersey barriers so you can't see over the edge. I'd stay in the right lane and just glide -- keep your attention straight.

Your fear is far worse than the reality. The reality is thousands of people cross this bridge all the time and nothing happens. Your fear singles you out as the one to do something amazing goofy and end up in trouble... and it's just your fear, not reality.

My sister and I were talking about this type of thing and she said to me something that sounded kind of mean -- but it wasn't meant that way -- "what makes you so special that this calamitous thing is going to happen to you?"

But she's right! Most people live their lives with no life shattering catastrophe happening in their lives. A Lifetime Movie of my life would be SOOO boring it wouldn't be funny...and pretty likely, that's true for you, too.

It's just a fear. You need coping skills in order to deal with it, and you need to deal with it. Don't let it win.
Good suggestions! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
I am the same way with flying!! Not afraid to fly even though I don't like heights
Me, too! In fact at one point I started flight lessons! I really feel it has more to do with being on land and somehow feeling vertigo???

Old 08-05-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Don't worry about drowning, because it isn't likely you'd survive the fall.
LOL. This reminds me of one of the times I visited NOLA and stayed in Slidell on the other side of Lake Ponchartrain. Well there is a LOOOOOOONG bridge (Lake Ponchartrain Causeway) connecting the two cities and it is right above the water. I was terrified and mentioned my fear to a hotel clerk in NOLA. He said "Don't worry about drowning, the crocs will get you before then." I hated driving over that bridge when there were thunderstorms...

Old 08-05-2017, 12:58 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,556,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
LOL. This reminds me of one of the times I visited NOLA and stayed in Slidell on the other side of Lake Ponchartrain. Well there is a LOOOOOOONG bridge (Lake Ponchartrain Causeway) connecting the two cities and it is right above the water. I was terrified and mentioned my fear to a hotel clerk in NOLA. He said "Don't worry about drowning, the crocs will get you before then." I hated driving over that bridge when there were thunderstorms...
I remember that bridge when it was first built as just one two lane causeway. Horrible trip.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:40 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,194,106 times
A story...

I agreed to drive a moving truck for a friend. All was fine until I came to the first bridge where there was a low concrete barrier to the right of the right lane. From my driving position, I could not even see it; what I saw was the side of the truck and the water - nothing else.

That view jarred me at first and I locked my arms and was steering like a man afraid for his life. I knew I had to do something, so I checked the next lane over and then moved into it. "Now I have a buffer."

My mistake was to look over there in the first place. Since that day, if I am in that situation, I just focus on the road ahead, relax and remind myself that I have driven two lane roads at exceptionally high speeds. Speeds where if I had gone off the road I would have hit a tree and probably been killed. The problem with the bridge is simply my brain playing tricks on me. Relax, Be careful, Drive.

Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive. Relax, Be careful, Drive.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:17 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,556,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
**Waving my hand** Me!! I got it.
<>I actually talk to the bridge. I call it names, and I tell it, it won't beat me. I am stronger than a bridge. I am stronger than my fear. I also concentrate on the traffic in front of me, and on the immediate sides -- but NOT THE EDGES...
<>
This poster has some really good ways of dealing with the travel over the bridge. Love the Bridge. I'd suggest a loud rendition of a Dolly Parton song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utP1mGoutQ

Old 08-05-2017, 02:38 PM

3,301 posts, read 2,381,977 times
While I have fear of flying, I cannot understand this fear of bridges but don't doubt you have it. If it makes you feel better, I usually go on the upper roadway in case the bridge begins to fall so I have a road beneath me, just in case. My coworker has the same fear as you. I would just watch the bridge from a distance and look at evry car, joyously crossing over. There is no danger. Then, go on it. It will be over in a minute if there isn't bumper to bumper traffic like here in NYC.

I have a huge fear of roller coasters and have had many nightmares where I go on a bridge no it suddenly turns into a roller coaster.

Just go on and return a few times. Look straight ahead and aim at something far off in the distance. Don't look anywhere else until you do this a bunch of times. Good luck.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:02 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,914,595 times
I think that being uncomfortable or outright fearful of driving on bridges is pretty commonplace from what I have heard from friends and family.

I have no problems with bridges--in fact, I enjoy them--but am VERY uncomfortable with any kind of tunnel.

I handle the issues with tunnels by focusing on the traffic in front of me, thinking of the positive (destination) that I will get as a result of going through the tunnel.

Maybe you can try similar techniques for your bridges?

Old 08-05-2017, 08:33 PM

16,586 posts, read 10,723,310 times
OP, maybe it would help if, when you're driving over this bridge, look at nothing except for the car immediately in front of you. Yeah, I know, this goes against the general driving rule of moving your eyes to keep aware of your surroundings. But in this case, it might be better to just focus on that one point. And since the car in front of you isn't falling off the bridge, neither will you.

Another thing you might try is, just before you get to this bridge, exit the highway and use the bathroom. With an empty bladder, you'll have one less thing to worry about and get distracted by.

And one last thought. Is it scarier for you if you can actually see the drop-off from the edge of the bridge? If so, maybe you could try driving across it at night. That way, you won't see anything off the edge. It would be just like driving on a surface road, since you can't see anything off the edge of one of those at night either.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:14 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,507,816 times
Gosh...I have this fear,and nope! I don't need the "exposure therapy" tauted.
I've adapted via other routes or other means of transport. Yup,took a boat across...Or a train. But driving it time and again didn't do anything other then confirm it wasn't going to change the rational fear. Fear is a response to our safety.. and I for one prefer adapting thru alternate ways ..Thank you very much.
OP, think of other means to get there...Your health will thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology