Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:36 AM

506 posts, read 653,376 times

Advertisements

Maybe not get rid of it but lessen it. My daughter and her son have so many problems they gave me an ulcer that woke me up last night. I have zero enthusiasm for anything. I stay in the house with my husband who had a hip replacement and he does almost nothing but sit and eat . He's very sweet; no problem there. But I'm so down when I wake up I don't want to get out of bed and face the monotonous grind of laundry and cooking. I do *not* wish to take any prescription medications so what can I do? Are there any people on here who swear by alternative medications? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:45 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,589,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
Maybe not get rid of it but lessen it. My daughter and her son have so many problems they gave me an ulcer that woke me up last night. I have zero enthusiasm for anything. I stay in the house with my husband who had a hip replacement and he does almost nothing but sit and eat . He's very sweet; no problem there. But I'm so down when I wake up I don't want to get out of bed and face the monotonous grind of laundry and cooking. I do *not* wish to take any prescription medications so what can I do? Are there any people on here who swear by alternative medications? Thanks in advance.
You have to find a hobby, something you enjoy doing to shift your mind from being depress to focus on something you like to do. Don't say you don't have anything you would like to do, there's always something you can do, is all about whether you are willing to look for it or not.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:47 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,420,214 times
While meds do have their drawbacks, they can give you the boost you need to address your issues. Why are you so opposed to them?

In any case, exercise, meditation and realistic assessment of my problems have always been helpful to me.

And um, why is cooking and laundry such monotony? Laundry is the easiest part of my day, and cooking is pretty manageable. What are you doing that these things have become such monumental chores?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:51 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,230,646 times
Agree with both posters above.

Try yoga, read a book, start a craft. Those are my go-to activities for de-stressing and helping me get to a happier place.

Meds can help if your depression is related to a chemical issue (and only a doc can tell you that for sure) but they don't work alone - YOU are the greatest cure!

Old 07-31-2017, 08:53 AM

130,911 posts, read 12,220,603 times
Also try & incorporate some walking in Nature. Find a nearby park & walk.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:00 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,748,304 times
Therapy?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:17 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,372,976 times
Finding hobbies to do to fill your time. Try not to focus so much on your kids' problems. I know that can be difficult but its not doing u any good to worry yourself sick over them

Old 07-31-2017, 10:30 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,078,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
Are there any people on here who swear by alternative medications? Thanks in advance.
As long as you think you can affect your mind with any material substance it will continue to be a problem.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 AM

10,218 posts, read 17,935,984 times
I agree with the other responses - you need to get out of the house, find things you enjoy doing, meet with friends, etc. You don't have to cook every single day, and surely you're not doing laundry every single day? It sounds like you and your husband are retired so you should have plenty of time to do things you enjoy. Your husband sounds stuck in a rut too - he may be part of the problem - no matter how sweet he is, not being active is a sign of depression. Maybe he is depressed over his hip and he's pulling you into his depression/inactivity. A hip replacement doesn't mean he can't do anything - sitting around and eating is arguably going to make the hip worse. He needs to get up and do some light exercise - even just a daily walk around the block. Did he have physical therapy? They should have given him light exercises to do for his hip.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:59 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,832,506 times
OP: My depression story is long and hard but I will work to keep it short. I'm 79 NOW...so back in 1991 I had gone thru menopause and ended up with major depression which doctors put me on a host of A/D drugs which did NOTHING. Finally in 2002, a good doctor friend who worked on my back for years, called in for Armour thyroid and in 4 days the 10 yrs of depression lifted. I went to many doctors with what I believed was a sluggish thyroid BUT their frigging tests and numbers told them I was fine. I was NOT. There are some 69 symptoms of low thyroid, one big one is Depression.

The doctors of today's world are so brainwashed with labs that so many go on with depression (more drugs by pharma) and suffering overall. I was there.

So I've been on desiccated support from 2002 and continue daily.

Then a lowness hit me in 2006 and I found how Vit D deficient I was, so take D3 and K2 daily since then.

NO DEPRESSION.

Your family situation is another thing...one has to learn to divorce from the adult children who need to be grownups. As best as one can anyway. Let GO.

If you haven't had thyroid addressed, do it with quality doc who "knows"...

And Yes I'm a true believer in taking care of my own health as much as possible and have subscribed to alternatives for over 25 yrs.

I hope my words make sense to you and hit some tender spots. J

I agree with the above info too about doing stuff, getting out but it could be deeper than that one. When one is depressed, it's hard to "get going". Get Lifted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology