Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:16 AM

16,074 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Exactly. Very few people complain just for the sake of complaining and being difficult. If they are upset and acting like that it is likely for a reason.
I too disagree. In my experience many people like to bring their upsets with them. Running late and frustrated because of traffic, boss gave you a hard time at work, argument with a loved one, well just take it out on the next person you interact with in a situation that causes you even the least bit of dissatisfaction, whether they are responsible for it or not. I've been on the receiving end and also done it after a particularly bad day. Sometimes people come back and apologize for snapping, usually not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 11:56 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
I didn't read through every single page of the thread but here are my thoughts:

There is a large minority of people that are rude and entitled because of some personality disorder, or because they were babied and never told "no" when they were younger and therefore have a low frustration tolerance. But for most people, I think that the impatience has to do with people feeling more like rats in a cage due to crowding, road congestion, increased demands from other people and circumstances, etc. Plus, for some reason, our society frowns on self-care, which I will ask about in another post. So it is not surprising to me that people either self-medicate, take their stuff out on the others around them, or both.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:08 AM

283 posts, read 408,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The "parenting philosophy" that floors me is the one where kids grow up from a small age addressing their parents by their first names and bossing them around. And the parents scurry to meet every demand, on cue. It's painful to watch. I've seen Boomers do this; I don't know if any Gen X-ers have followed that, as well. Maybe this is who the OP is up against? People who were those kids, barking orders at their parents, who fulfilled every command instantly? *shudder*
My brother has always allowed his only child a girl, to call him by his name and her mom by her's. None of the grandparents were ever respected or addressed respectfully, so everyone in the family including me, pulled away and she grew up alone and sad, no one wanted to be around my brother and his family, they were in the military and it made a good excuse to stay away. My brother was never good to our mother either so his daughter will not be a good daughter to him when she moves away.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 AM

417 posts, read 190,988 times
People don't like to wait. I think that's a basic fact of life.

I don't think Bert Parks ever asked a future Miss America; "So, Miss Illinois, what are your hobbies?" and she replied "Well, Bert...I LIKE TO WAIT!" Anybody out there remember Bert Parks singing "There she is, Miss America..."

Back on topic. I think it's a combination of many things, including:

The ability to fast forward thru tv shows, microwaves heating your leftovers in minutes, computers giving us information instead of having to go to the library and looking things up, services now being delivered to our homes with the option of one day delivery. Etc, Etc,Etc. Progress has made us used to getting things conveniently and faster.

But, commercialization has also told us and our children how we NEED to buy their product because we "deserve" it. We "deserve" to be treated "special", to be spoiled.

Many people have become unaccustomed to having to wait, therefore they become impatient when it happens and more and more often get upset when they don't get that instant gratification.

It's also that many corporations have decided to understaff in order to make more profit.

It's also that according to the latest stats, the "average person" looks at their cell phones 74 a day. Some people actually have panic attacks if they have to do without their smart phones for a day.

I have heard working parents panic "OMG, how will my child get a hold of me when they are at school?" What do they think we did when there were no cell phones? It's not like we abandoned children to the wolves, if they needed to use the phone, they went to the school office.

And lastly, I don't think manners are being used as much as they used to. By young and old alike.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:50 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addakisson View Post
It's also that according to the latest stats, the "average person" looks at their cell phones 74 a day. Some people actually have panic attacks if they have to do without their smart phones for a day.
Reference? How would they even determine this? Nobody I know counts how many times they look at their phone. And does looking at it mean turning it on and actually doing something or just glancing at the lock screen to check the time? How many times a day did people use to look at their wristwatch?

Old 09-27-2017, 05:37 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Reference? How would they even determine this? Nobody I know counts how many times they look at their phone. And does looking at it mean turning it on and actually doing something or just glancing at the lock screen to check the time? How many times a day did people use to look at their wristwatch?
I agree. Looking at your phone doesn't mean you're twittering or on Facebook or texting, in any case. I look at my phone a lot because it is my plan book, it has my appointments and reminders and To Do lists, and notes I make about things I want to try with one of my patient's at work (I'm an OT). I use the stopwatch to time how long a patient can stand, and the timer so I know when he's been on the arm bike long enough.

There is an assumption somehow that if you're looking at your phone, you must by definition be engaged in some kind of self-absorbed, ego-based activity, but phones are much more than that now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology