Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 10:48 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
As far as hotel check in nonsense - I was attending my son's wedding a couple of weeks ago. He had booked and pre-paid for my hotel room. When I got there they asked for my credit card, which I assumed they wanted for ID.

Nope. They put a hold on my ENTIRE bank account balance for a pre-paid room. Took me until the next day to get them to straighten it out and in the meantime I couldn't so much as go get a meal.
You gave them your ATM/debit card that was tied in to your bank account instead of a credit card that isn't???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:54 AM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Didn't you get the memo that Americans are best and should therefore go to the head of the line? At least it seems that way, and I'm an American. We are a spoiled bunch, that's for sure.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:12 PM

564 posts, read 448,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I see that mostly on conservatives
They constantly talk about other people being "below them"
and then constantly go around acting as if they are entitled more than everybody elset
Oh, Please! Michael Moore. Perez. DWS.

You sound as if you're from that left wing bunch of haters who call all those with differing views the haters.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:32 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I use diesel in my truck. There are only 4 pumps at my local station and are all on one end. At a red light I see a guy pull up to the pump. 30 sec later I see him pull away so I pull to the pump. I guess the guy realized (in his hurry) he was on the wrong side and was going to go to another but someone took that one about the same time. He throws it into reverse and is flapping his arms at me he wants that pump again. I'm already heading inside. He pulls to the one ahead of it runs out, cuts to the front of the line and throws 20 bucks down at the clerk announcing his pump number.

This is where it gets good. I'm at the register and I ask the clerk about their day. He said he was fine until the ahole at the broken pump came in and threw money at him. But he smiled and said, wait till he finds out the pump is broken.

Sure enough, back in the guy comes all bent. Clerk ask him what he wants to do. He says, "I don't know who's big truck that is that stole my pump". I say from the pump, "That would be me, do you need diesel?"

He slinks off pretending to look at his phone while he waits for another GAS pump to open. The clerk later said it made his day.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:47 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I asked a couple of times if there were people available aside from front desk when people just have questions, or an issue with a room they've already checked into (like the "runners" Marc mentioned) but never got an answer. Cause IMO those customers should not have to wait again behind folks doing lengthy processes like check-in.

Again I will say excuse me ahead of others if I already checked in and discover an issue or just have a question, and Marc is correct that if the hotel doesn't have others aside from front desk to help, that's poor staffing and poor customer service.
Yes there are people outside of the front desk that can answer questions. We have a whole department dedicated to that. It is called Guest Services. The thing is we tell guests to call guest services for small things that they don't have to wait in line for, yet they insist on coming to the front desk and getting frustrated that they have to stand in line after we told them that they didn't have to.

All guests have to do, which we tell them, is dial guest services from their room to have simple questions answered. But they insist on coming to the front desk. We tell all guests at check in that check out is automated and sent by email and they do not have to come to the front desk. They come to the front to check out desk anyway. And guests upset that they have to wait in line. Guests often do not listen. All that mumbling that another poster referred to is us telling guests that if they need things to call guest services and that they don't need to stand in line to check out. But because they don't listen they end up standing in line.

Just a couple weeks ago a guest got angry at me because she waited in a long time to check out and yelled at me saying that she shouldn't have to wait in line. I told her that I explained to her at check in that she didn't need to wait in line. I explain this two to three times at check in so that they don't have to come and stand in line.

So my advice to any travelersrs here, instead of assuming we're just mumbling nothing and just taking up time to take up time when you are checking in, actually pay attention and listen because you are being given instructions that you need to avoid standing in line.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 08-18-2017 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Yes there are people outside of the front desk that can answer questions. We have a whole department dedicated to that. It is called Guest Services. The thing is we tell guests to call guest services for small things that they don't have to wait in line for, yet they insist on coming to the front desk and getting frustrated that they have to stand in line after we told them that they didn't have to.

All guests have to do, which we tell them, is dial guest services from their room to have simple questions answered. But they insist on coming to the front desk. We tell all gets a check in that check out is automated and sent by email and they do not have to come to the front desk. They come to the front to check out desk anyway. And gets upset that they have to wait in line. Guests often do not listen. All that mumbling that another poster referred to is us telling guests that if they need things to call guest services and that they don't need to stand in line to check out. But because they don't listen they end up standing in line.

Just a couple weeks ago against got angry at me because she waited in a long time to check out and yelled at me saying that she shouldn't have to wait in line. I told her that I explained to her at check in that she didn't need to wait in line. I have Elite imprecise this two to three times and checking so that they don't have to come and stand in line.
Suggest you proofread any writings you ma send your bosses.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:13 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
So what? Go to the "10 items or less" line or go through the self-check. Folks with many items need to go through the line too, and constantly letting someone with "one or two items" (which is almost never the case anyway) before them just makes them have to wait even longer while not doing a thing for the rest of those in line.

Move to another line if you think it is taking too long.
I have to disagree, depending on what type of store you're in. Say I'm wrong if you want to, but I CANNOT STAND getting behind someone who apparently has to buy groceries for the entire nation of China and I'm stuck in that situation. If it's a huge grocery store with plenty of other aisles, where the counter space is long and there are conveyor belts and a bag-boy, then I agree with you. However in smaller places like a Family Dollar, where you only have 1 cashier and the checkout space isn't that long and the same person checking out is also bagging, I seriously am of the mind that such a store as in the ENTIRE STORE should be a 10 items or less store. People should flat-out not be allowed to buy more than 10 items AT ALL PERIOD. I'm totally serious. Such a store as that is not "up to scale" for handling that sort of a load. "There are no signs saying I can only buy 10 items?" I don't care, you STILL shouldn't be getting $200 worth of stuff to where 2 dozen other people buying 3-9 items are behind you waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting. When you do that, you're being a pig and hogging all the attention for yourself.

In the days before direct deposit, the best thing banks ever did was set aside a separate room for business customers. It used to get on my nerves getting stuck behind someone from a business who had bags and bags and bags of money and it takes 15-odd minutes for that one person. Imagine how many other people could've been waited on during that 15 minutes, but that one person had to hog it all for themselves. If feeling this way is "impatient" or "entitled" then so be it.

Last edited by shyguylh; 08-18-2017 at 02:24 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I guess you too, huh? ;D

Old 08-18-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I guess you too, huh? ;D
Ha! Got me! And it was part of my job until 20 years ago. Getting old. Not an excuse, but these keyboards really suck. Not like the old IBM Selectrics at all. Sometimes I let things go by that I've actually caught. Tiring to back up so often.

Anyway, the post was well intended. OP may have reason to make a good impression on someone who appreciates good writing, in the most basic sense.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:31 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I am replying from my phone and using voice recognition and it is not working properly. Nice try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology