Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2017, 02:13 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times

Advertisements

This is a very true and relevant saying for a lot of people. It's the reason people stay in toxic situations where they aren't happy even if there are ways out. Be it a toxic relationship, roommate, a job, a living situation, or whatever, many times we become comfortable with the status quo, even if we don't like it, that change can be frightening. This is true even if that change is for the better. The status quo, even if you dislike it, seems comfortable and favorable compared to the unknown. Question is, why is this? What are the best tactics for overcoming this fear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 02:43 PM

20,397 posts, read 14,673,179 times
It was a significant reason I stayed with my ex for so long, even though I was unhappy. I figured, nobody's perfect, everybody's got problems and at least we're far more functional than most married couples I know. I used to say that fairytale "happily ever after" stories are just a load of nonsense, that in this life we just do the best we can. It wasn't great but it could be worse, I used to tell myself.

If I'd known how bad it would get before the end, or how much better I'd have it once I got out, or how quickly or easily I could find someone much, much better...I would have left years before I did. But I saw that as just a complete gamble, a roll of the dice, and that there was just as much a chance that I'd find something (partner, or situation) a lot worse.

I guess that what bears considering, is that you cannot assume that the devil you know will continue to be the devil you know. If things are bad, they can still get worse. You take just as much a chance staying in a bad situation, as you do leaving one...it doesn't feel like it, but it's true.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:47 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,071,771 times
People get comfortable and change is frightening. It's why abused people tend to find abusive people...it's what they know. Sad, but true. In my own experience, something worse had to happen, somewhere in my life, to make me realize it would be better to leave than to stay.

Sorry I didn't have any suggestions. From what I've ever learned about people who fear change....is that they have to fear something more, in order to change. Find that fear and they'll change.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
I think acknowledging your unhappiness and accepting it are crucial. Don't minimize it. Then you make a plan that is based on calculated risk and a clear view of reality. Then you make the leap. You basically have to decide that your current situation is unacceptable.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I think acknowledging your unhappiness and accepting it are crucial. Don't minimize it. Then you make a plan that is based on calculated risk and a clear view of reality. Then you make the leap. You basically have to decide that your current situation is unacceptable.
Good points. I think we have the tendency to try to minimize our unhappiness as a way to cope with it. Telling ourselves things like it isn't really as bad as we are making it out to be and thinking of ways that it could be worse. This is good to an extent. Nobody has a perfect life and there are always things we could and should strive to improve about ourselves. We can also take that too far and use it to justify staying in a bad situation because change seems scarier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology