Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 02:28 AM

823 posts, read 1,975,135 times

Advertisements

They have no social media. No pictures. Nobody seems to miss them. No place seems to be "home" for them.

They can act normal. Polite and civil. But you can´t help havng the feeling that this person has no past.

Maybe they are a coworker. Or the guy next door. Or a second hand car salesman.

When you meet someone like this, you feel like you wanna know the story of that person? Or just find that person creepy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 07:26 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier77 View Post
They have no social media. No pictures. Nobody seems to miss them. No place seems to be "home" for them.

They can act normal. Polite and civil. But you can´t help havng the feeling that this person has no past.

When you meet someone like this, you feel like you wanna know the story of that person? Or just find that person creepy?
Sounds a lot like me in real life, i have social media although i restrict access to it.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:31 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,090 times
Quote:

Maybe they are just very private people.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:35 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,403,906 times
Quote:

Witness protection program.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:48 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,486 times
Quote: When you meet someone like this, you feel like you wanna know the story of that person? Or just find that person creepy?

From my experience , someone who wants to know my story is the person who is creepy.

I feel like anything I say can and will be brought up again in the future for further evaluation and the walls of privacy will be breached as that person become the person who needs to know everything now about my life.

I believe that "familiarity breeds contempt" so that my life's story is none of your business, unless I decide to tell you.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:53 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Everyone has a past and if they choose not to share their past, present or future with you it is not creepy and you have no idea if they are on social media, where their photos are kept, who misses them, or where they call home.
What is creepy is someone making an assumption that another person is *acting normal* but you assume everything about their private lives.
There is a reason it is called a *private life*...

Old 09-23-2017, 08:03 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
I don't really understand your point, OP. Just because you don't know their past, doesn't mean they don't have one. And why should you know the past of your co-workers or neighbors? That wouldn't even cross my mind. You sound oddly nosy. I don't think it's normal to expect to know people's pasts. Is this expectation the result of the Age of Social Media? We're all supposed to be open books, to everyone, now?

MYOB. You're not entitled to know everything about random people in your life.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
This thread reminds me of the recent Tom Hanks movie 'The Circle', and how they kind of predict where social media is going in the future...nothing should be secret, "secrets are lies" was a big quote from the movie, how dare anyone keep any secrets from anyone else in the age of social media, your ENTIRE life and past should be open to anyone who wants to look, and I mean YOUR ENTIRE LIFE, everything you have done, and are doing.

Anyone who does not conform, should be aided in getting the help they need, even if its against their will, after all, they are so concerned with everyones health and safety.

yeah I can see where this going!

Old 09-23-2017, 08:10 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This thread reminds me of the recent Tom Hanks movie 'The Circle', and how they kind of predict where social media is going in the future...nothing should be secret, "secrets are lies" was a big quote from the movie, how dare anyone keep any secrets from anyone else in the age of social media, your ENTIRE life and past should be open to anyone who wants to look, and I mean YOUR ENTIRE LIFE, everything you have done, and are doing.

Anyone who does not conform, should be aided in getting the help they need, even if its against their will, after all, they are so concerned with everyones health and safety.

yeah I can see where this going!
Sounds like the OP saw the movie.

OP, you're creeping us out!

Old 09-23-2017, 08:26 AM

823 posts, read 1,975,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sounds like the OP saw the movie.

OP, you're creeping us out!

Jeez...

Ok, just a few general comments.

1-Obviously everybody is entitled to their own privacy.

2- I am not saying being nosy and investigate anyone's business is good.

3- I didnt mean a private person. I meant a person with no past,.

Let's think for example, Mary Poppy. She comes with the East wind, she does her thing and fixes the problems and dissapears again. That kind of thing.

What school did Mary Poppins attend? When did she lose her cherry? What political party does she vote for? No clue, right? You can watch the movie, spend 120 minutes watching her talking and interacting, but at the end of the movie, there's not a real sense of a biography there. She sings well, she uses her umbrella to fly and has a few good lines, but that's all, you dont ever have the feeling you "know her"., you dont feel "there's a story" behind her.

Ok, it's just a fictional example, I used to make it more clear. There's people like that...with an air of mystery around them, like "who is this guy?".

So I guess there's if a big difference between data about somebody and that subjevtive feeling of "I know this person".

That's all folks.

PS. I havent seen The Circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology